Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Uniform And Footwear

Phoebe123

Hello everyone,

One or two issues have been raised in the last couple of weeks with the much warmer weather, such as what is acceptable footwear and should staff wear strappy tops. Just wondered what others think. The setting is quite large (21 staff - many quite young). We do obviously have not only health and safety issues to consider but also parents' views and maintaining a professional appearance.

What do you do? Do you have restrictions on footwear - flip flops? covered shoes? What about hair? Piercings? Would be very interested in your comments.

Thanks!

Lesley :o

I do allow sandals, but we have white polo shirts for everyone to wear and I ask staff to wear black trousers so that we provide a good 'professional' look.

We're looking into replacing the polo shirts at the moment as 'the world and his wife' are wearing them now. Looking at smartening things a bit more

At our pre-school setting we allow staff to wear flip flops and open toe sandals, but make them aware that if

someone or somethings falls of their feet it's down to them. We have also just told the staff they may wear

'suitable' white vest tops as long as they cover their top half (when leaning over children etc), have no large

logo's and cover up any tattoos! Having given all restrictions, no one as yet has worn one to work!!

dottyp :o

After a very recent accident of a roll of paper falling on a member of staff foot, (she was wearing shoes that exposed most of the top of her foot) i will be putting in to practice only trainers or full shoes. I do not allow flip flops or open toes due to H.& S any way. But do think carefully when allowing your staff to wear these types of shoes. You may get problems.

Re footwear: Staff = same as children i.e. no backless shoes and we have polo shirt uniform

Trying to discourage Crocs on the children (arrrggghhhhhh I hear you cry) as most don't fit properly and with those little lovies that still aren't steady on their feet, Crocs often scuff, resulting in children falling over.

We wear sandals as do the children and strappy tops. I'd roast in our environment if I wasn't allowed to. the expectation is that we look smart and professional and I think we all do. I have to say that we have to dress according to families too and if we were too formal or wearing a uniform, they wouldn't approach us.

Well.......the forecast is for temperatures in the 30s this week......so I will be going in naked!!!

Not really....that would scare the children and parents!!! :o

If there is an award for 'the most laid back manager' - can I be considered please?

I don't put any restrictions on what my staff do or do not wear xD

Sunnyday

• Like 1

we dont have restrictions on clothes as we wear a tabard over our clothes so even the skimpists top is covered, as for shoes the only restriction is no high heels such as they could do some nasty damage if we accidently trod on a child I think as a mature team of ataff we we tend to dress foe comfort more than fashion any way

none of my staff have piercings (eccept ears) but I do tell students not to wear face piercing and keep earings to small studs because of children grabbing them

as fo tatoos Im not fussy, (half the parents seem to have them) I dont feel it affects staff's ability to do their job or puts them at risk. all thought i would ask them to cover up any indicent tatoos if they had any (not that any of my staff have tattos)

We are allowed to wear sandals and we have preschool logo polo shirts and black trousers as a uniform - absolutely boiling in the hot weather

Where I work,we have to wear full shoes all year round so this week our feet will be very uncomfortable! As for strappy tops, I personally think that once too much flesh is shown, it becomes harder to draw the line- especially when many staff are in their twenties or younger. That's just my personal view, but I would agree that a tabard over the top of clothing is a good compromise.

As part of our sun policy, all children MUST have shoulders covered when playing outside in sunny weather and that goes for staff too. We have uniform of polo shirts and sweatshirts. No rule on shoes BUT staff must be able to run in them!

korkycat

Hiya, I wore my Crocs last week in work and would never do it again.... although dry when I arrived we had a downpour and I slipped over not only once hurting my ankle... but...... the second time holding a one year old baby... (luckily he was fine and my son so no parent to inform) imagine how I felt!!

Carla x

Hi

we wear sandles but they need to have a back to them, although after having my feet run over twice today i may have to reconsider LOL.

we let the staff wear red or white vest tops (red is our nursery colour) tho they have to have wide straps and not be low cut. our building is a modular one and no matter how many windows you have open it becomes stiffling in there, the staff could not cope in their polo shirts during this hot time.

Dawn

• 2 weeks later...

I allow staff to wear any flat shoes of their choice. We have purple polo shirts with logo and sweatshirt with logo, with navy fleece with logo for winter, and in the summer we have lovely pink capped sleeved t-shirts (that have an animal/surf look to them) with logo on the bottom left, there is a small middle pocket for labels and pens, the parents have given us lovely comments on them.

I allow staff to wear any flat shoes of their choice. We have purple polo shirts with logo and sweatshirt with logo, with navy fleece with logo for winter, and in the summer we have lovely pink capped sleeved t-shirts (that have an animal/surf look to them) with logo on the bottom left, there is a small middle pocket for labels and pens, the parents have given us lovely comments on them.

Your pink tshirts sound lovely, any chance you could post a link to these?? I have been looking for this type of thing for quite a while but really struggle to get larger sizes.

We wear polo shirts all year round, two years ago i said yes to vest tops and very quickly wished i hadn't!

I bought them all wide strapped, high neck line ones from Asda which were fab but within about 2 weeks the low cut spaghetti strap versions began making an appearance, funnily enough the dad's didn't seem to mind!!! So i have now made a no vest top rule!

I recently tried to introduce a bit more of a dress code: no thongs showing, no low cut tops etc but there is still someone showing too much flesh/underwear. its awkward because she is permanent staff and it must seem odd to others that there seem to be different rules for her - there aren't, it's just that I have told everyone, given it to them in writing in a handbook etc, emailed to remind but she is still doing it! will have to bite bullet and speak privately but feel uncomfortable like I have been staring or something - do you know what I mean?

I wore vest tops in the recent heatwave - it's boiling in our room - but they are NOT low cut and you could see no cleavage (not that I have much to see even when I might want to show some!!) everyone wears below the knee trousers and there is a shoes you can run in rule (although some staff would not be able to run for other reasons...)

Your pink tshirts sound lovely, any chance you could post a link to these?? I have been looking for this type of thing for quite a while but really struggle to get larger sizes.

We wear polo shirts all year round, two years ago i said yes to vest tops and very quickly wished i hadn't!

I bought them all wide strapped, high neck line ones from Asda which were fab but within about 2 weeks the low cut spaghetti strap versions began making an appearance, funnily enough the dad's didn't seem to mind!!! So i have now made a no vest top rule!

certainly, here's the link, we had our logo added on the bottom left

http://www.fostergroup.co.uk/t-shirts/ladi...ics/33547/WB171

Claire x

Boss got us all vest tops from Asda with the wide straps - and had the preschool logo printed on it. So most wear them. I don't, I have cap sleeved tops in the same colour & with the logo as I feel I am too well endowed for vest tops to look professional!

We have polo shirts for the winter. I'm never wearing flip-flops for work again after I slipped over last Monday and bent my big toe back - hurt all week, so I've been in trainers ever since.

We have two tone polo shirts in navy with the yellow stripe (same colour as children's tops) on the sleeve and round the collar. We're always on the lookout for smart-looking tops and were researching nurse/beautician-type tunic tops but can't find one we like!

On a similar theme, does anyone know of a manufacturer of book bags which have the window pocket for the child's name, but without the flap-cover thingy which we find a real pain!

Hello everyone,

One or two issues have been raised in the last couple of weeks with the much warmer weather, such as what is acceptable footwear and should staff wear strappy tops. Just wondered what others think. The setting is quite large (21 staff - many quite young). We do obviously have not only health and safety issues to consider but also parents' views and maintaining a professional appearance.

What do you do? Do you have restrictions on footwear - flip flops? covered shoes? What about hair? Piercings? Would be very interested in your comments.

Thanks!

Lesley :o

Hi,

We don't tend to wear anything that the children are not supposed to wear - sandals without a back because you can't run etc and nothing else that restricts your movement like those clompy shoes for the same reason. It's no fun having your toes squished so shoes with some protection are always a good idea. There are enough trendy versions for those who feel the need- personally the bruises caused by even low heels when sitting crossed legged on the carpets means I wear only softer heels. As for strappy vest tops- we don't consider them appropriate wear for work since as a school we expect to present a professional image. How smart you choose to look depends on the image your setting wants and cultural considerations. Staff working in other parts of the school have worn strappy vests as part of a 2piece but as long as eg-shoulders are covered for the sun sense we are supposed to model for the children no-one is preaching but not practising. Early Years is about education in the broadest sense so why not teach the children how to be safe and healthy by being as safe and healthy as we can be ourselves.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)