Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Michael Jackson

sunnyday

My initial thoughts were why all this attention, sad of course anyone should loose their life at 50 but he was only a popstar, just more hype from within our celebrity obsessed culture.

However, watching the tribute on TV yesterday evening I remembered his fantastic gift for music and dance. I did in the end feel sorry for him, I feel as a society we contributed to his lifestyle.

Strangely enough that was exactly how I felt Deb.

I sat in work yesterday talking about it with my colleagues and stated "that although I can appreciate that he was a very talented individual, I was never really a fan". I also complained about the constant media coverage.

Then this morning I sat with my 6 year old son watching a music channel (its always on in our house on a Saturday morning) and the entire morning was dedicated to Michael Jackson. As far as I am aware, this is the first time my son has heard his music and he really enjoyed it. He loved the fact that he had been singing since he was 5 and fascinated by the change in Michael Jackson's skin colour and hair. He has also been singing 'Blame it on the boogie' ever since.

Sitting listening to this music brought back certain memories from childhood and I suddenly remembered that the first album I ever bought was by The Jacksons in 1978!! I also watched music videos that I hadnt seen for years e.g. Thriller and once again was taken back to the first time I saw this video and how amazed I was at the dancing (and also that I had found it a bit scary!!)

It is sad when a child loses their parent or a parent loses their child, indeed the loss of any family member, regardless of who they are and what they have done in their lives.

Like any other family who loses a loved one, famous or unknown to the masses, Michael Jackson's and Farah Fawcett's families now have to deal with their grief and sense of loss. My thoughts are with all those who mourn the loss of a loved one, as what has happened over the past couple of days has got me thinking about the losses in our own family and how it affected us.

I don't read newspapers, I don't watch the news on TV, I haven't done for about 10 yrs, so the media coverage hasn't affected me.

I have been 'online' here and Facebook, and what strikes me most is the way people are so judgmental without fact about Micheal Jacksons life. All I'd say is that he was 'different' , different from the 'norm'. That is of course if I choose to believe all the hype, the P.R. the Media. I don't know what he was like behind closed doors. He's called a 'boy' yet he fathered 3 children. There's talk about prescription drugs, well don't we all take prescription drugs !

What did he do that was so wrong in his life ? Why is the hatred from some as strong as the respect from others? Why do we celebrate achievement then viciously knock the achievers down?

What if we were all born into a life like his, we all know how fundemental our early life experiences are, our 'formative' years, he lived in a 'culture' called 'fame', a culture that neither one of us can fully understand, yet he is judged, discriminated against and disrespected. He is called weird, crazy, mad, was he ? Or was he just different or unique?

I'd like to say 'rest in peace' and as well as the everyday life he led with his family, friends and work colleagues and the memories this has left them, I'd like to say I will always remember him, all the many times his music has made me feel like dancing. I am thankful that I am still here to dance in my 50th year.

Peggy

Here here Peggy :)

I will dance and sing to Michael Jackson for as long as i am able. He was a genius and his genius will live on.

Rest in Peace MJ - Chamone!

Tink! :D x

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very sad that someone's death has become such a circus and that the people shown don't seem sad just rather pleased with themselves for having managed to get a ticket to "the show" as one man has just told a reporter.

I'm very sad that someone's death has become such a circus and that the people shown don't seem sad just rather pleased with themselves for having managed to get a ticket to "the show" as one man has just told a reporter.

I know what you mean, I'm still pretty shocked that there are people outside Neverland Ranch, and probably other places too, selling things. What makes them think it's okay to make money off someone's death? :o

Is anybody else watching the memorial?

Imagine being there, I bet the atmosphere is amazing.

I'm recording it ......so that I can watch it alone ......without Mr Sunnyday making any scathing comments! :o

My son sent me a text from Spain today (on holiday)....."can you go to my house and record the funeral on my T.V."

Sunnyday

I've seen a lot of artists saying they're honoured to "perform" at the memorial, but I think John Mayer got it spot on when he posted on his Twitter saying "I also want you to know that I'm not going to perform... I'm going to contribute."

yes I have been watching the memorial ,even missed casualty for it, very emotional I thought, but I am at the moment as hubby is going through chemo , ziller

yes I have been watching the memorial ,even missed casualty for it, very emotional I thought, but I am at the moment as hubby is going through chemo

Poor you, zillertal - I think it can be quite dangerous watching these things when you're a bit emotionally vulnerable but on the other hand it can provide a much needed release for you to have a good cry over someone else's trauma.

Hope your hubby is coping well - and that you're getting some support for yourself too.

Maz

Really sorry to hear that your husband is unwell zillertal and as Maz said don't forget to take care of yourself at this difficult time.

Well.....I watched it - have to make a public apology to Mr Sunnyday .... not one scathing comment passed his lips!

Have to say I fast forwarded some bits....Brooke Shields, Al Whatisface........thought Jennifer Hudson was wonderful and Shaheen what a performance from a twelve year old - incredible.

I really don't do Mariah Carey - apologies to her fans xD

Jermaine Jackson moved me to tears (Smile)

Loved that 'the brothers' all wore a white glove!

Son rang just as it ended to ask if I had watched and what I thought....he said it was being shown in the restaurant they were in (in Spain) but they couldn't really hear it.......wonder he didn't ask for the volume to be turned up! :o

MTV tribute on in the background as I write this!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

I have to admit that when Paris was talking about how fantastic her dad was, I did cry.

I can't even begin to imagine what those children are going through.

I thought the Jackson brother's gloves were fab!! xD

Oh ..... I have to go and have another look....I must have accidentally 'fast forwarded' Paris :o

Oh ..... I have to go and have another look....I must have accidentally 'fast forwarded' Paris :o

She didn't really say much to be honest. But how brave of her to say anything at all! I'd have been properly scares up on that stage!!

Sending you lots of love zillertal, you must be going through a hell of a time........don't forget we are all here to help support if we can. :oxD:(

She didn't really say much to be honest. But how brave of her to say anything at all! I'd have been properly scares up on that stage!!

They just played a bit of what she said on the ten o'clock news on Radio 4. She said her dad was the best dad you can imagine - and that she loves him very much. She's 12 isn't she? At the ripe old age of 17 I coudn't speak at my mum's funeral and I knew most of the people there - it must have taken every ounce of courage she had to remain so composed and speak to millions of people around the world.

Poor little mite.

Maz

Best wishes to your husband zillertal, I hope he recovers soon. Look after yourself and as others hae said, we are all here for you.

I haven't seen the memorial for Micheal Jackson, but I do hope that he can rest in peace and that the family can draw strength from the occasion and are also left in peace to mourn in their own individual 'private' ways, for as long as it takes, and toward a time that they can begin to cope with their loss.

Peggy

My thoughts are with you too Zillertal.

I thought the whole Michael Jackson Memorial brought home, certainly to me, that he was actually a son, a brother, a dad, and loved by a big extended family; he wasn't just Michael Jackson the Icon. It appears that they are a very close knit, protective family.

Cried at Jermaine's wonderful "Smile" I thought he was wonderful and sobbed at Paris's speech what a very brave little girl.

I hope now he can rest in peace.

yes I have been watching the memorial ,even missed casualty for it, very emotional I thought, but I am at the moment as hubby is going through chemo , ziller

I can agree with Maz! Watching something like that when you are going through a stressful period can make you very emotional as "you are living on your nerves" - or so people told me when my husband was ill and I got more emotional than usual at certain things.

Remember we are all here for you. And I can vouch for the members on here, they helped me through some tough times and I know there are others who would say the same thing. They really are an amazing bunch!

I have to admit that when Paris was talking about how fantastic her dad was, I did cry.

I can't even begin to imagine what those children are going through.

I have to admit this had both me and the hubby in tears. Hubby had to leave the room so that James didnt see him cry and I told my son that I was crying because I was sad that MJ's daughter was crying! It got us both thinking of how different things could have been and that it could have been our son saying it, thankfully it wasn't and hubby survived. Am actually feeling quite emotional again thinking about it!