Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Bing?

HappyMaz

I had an email today all about Bing - Microsoft's new search engine.

Visually it looks good, and the results are quick and relevant which is a bonus! I searched EYFS and the FSF came up on the fourth page, so I searched HappyMaz and mummy spud's post telling me I could get double points on my petrol at Tesco came up as the number one item!

Have a look at Bing and see what you make of it!

Maz

It's good for finding images and my business is second listing for my key words so well chuffed. Its really a rebranded MSN live which wasn't popular. It's taken over Yahoo but bets are off that it will replace Google.

Its really a rebranded MSN live which wasn't popular. It's taken over Yahoo but bets are off that it will replace Google.

That's interesting isn't it biccy - I wasn't immediately aware that is was from Microsoft... even though the email address clearly said so! :o

Maz

We're a bit slow picking up on the ratings for EYFS Maz, but 'Bing' (I assume that's going to be the equivalent of 'Google') for Foundation Stage and happily we're right up at number 1, beating Teacher Net and the DCFS EYFS site(still listed as DFES...)! :o

We're in 5th place for Google. Incidentally, we seem to be regularly topping 100,000 visitors a month now, which I reckon to be a Good Thing.

I have a low boredom threshold, Steve but I kind of figured that if I'd searched for Foundation Stage we'd have been higher up! :oxD I just went back for another bite of the bing cherry - and there it was, FSF on top where it should be! How does it all work though? I like to think there's a Gringotts-like wizard in my laptop thumbing through his rotadex to find me the right page (a very small one, obviously!).

I can understand why the search engine would go straight to the FSF home page, but when I searched my forum name earlier how did it light upon that particular post? Why that one and not any of the (very few :( ) mentions of my name on here?

That's a good point, too: I wonder if Bing will ever enter the language as a verb in the way Google has?

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

We're in 5th place for Google. Incidentally, we seem to be regularly topping 100,000 visitors a month now, which I reckon to be a Good Thing.

I think I have the basis of July's quiz here Steve: how many of those 100,000 visits were actually made my me? :o

Maz

(isn't there an angelic looking whistling smiley anywhere?)

Hi Maz - looks interesting - but.......

I already have - at the top of my screen......Orange toolbar, Google toolbar, Sparklebox toolbar and AVG Yahoo toolbar - don't know how to 'get rid' of them and daren't add anything else!!!

Sunnyday

I think I have the basis of July's quiz here Steve: how many of those 100,000 visits were actually made my me? :o

Hmm - well it's not entirely accurate as it relies on visitors allowing the FSF to put a cookie on their system, but the Google analytics package reckons we've had nearly 60,000 unique visitors this month. So if no one else had visited you would be responsible for slightly under 40,000 visits. At least we have an upper limit on your patronage of the site...

I always use easysearch as my primary search engine because I raise funds for preschool that way. If It doesn't turn up what I'm looking for I go to Google as a second option

When it was in production the codeword was Kumo (means cloud I think). They should have kept that as Bing has me running to the microwave or bursting into White Christmas......

Hi Maz - looks interesting - but.......

I already have - at the top of my screen......Orange toolbar, Google toolbar, Sparklebox toolbar and AVG Yahoo toolbar - don't know how to 'get rid' of them and daren't add anything else!!!

Sunnyday

Go to Views on your toolbar and click on toolbars and you can remove the toolbars you dont want!!!

So if no one else had visited you would be responsible for slightly under 40,000 visits. At least we have an upper limit on your patronage of the site...

Well that gives me something to aim for - I am on the brink of another milestone post after all! :o

Maz