Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Robots

My children are really into robots at the moment, we have made junk models and acted out being a robot but i'm not sure how we can extend it or what other resources/ideas we could introduce, any ideas?

yes we have cait.... we made a road leading to the robots they had made for the beebots to go down....really struggling with this interest.... couldn't they have picked something easier!!!!!!!! only joking!!!!!!!

Have you looked for any books that include robots as that could be the next point in it.

Have you thought about different uses of robots - what would you want a robot to do? why?

How does a real robot work? Could you then bring in some bits about electricity and if you have a simple electricity set they could explore that. Make up group books about robots - information or story book. Use shapes 2d or 3d to make robots. Could you do some music about the sounds robots would make? Explore sounds in words by making up good robot names.

I'll keep thinking ...

Very timely this!! I'm doing robots Thursday and Friday as part of our Blast off! topic. I've not done my planning yet as I like to leave it till the very last moment to get as many of the childrens own ideas as possible. So far my ideas are

A powerpoint of robots focusing on real/manmade ie. A real man a robot/-a dog/K9. If you PM you e-mail address I'll send it when done

Making a dalek out of a waterbutt-not sure how yet still thinking but have mullerlite yogurt pots in mind???

2D robots using shapes out of silver paper with wiggly eyes

Beebots

Making a remote control out of a shoe box to 'operate' a child-arms and helmet made from sliver card to turn the child into the tin man

There is a Ceebies programe Little Robots with a few games and colouring

Spraying a few small bricks silver to build a robot

I have a selection of toys with actions-jack in a box, spinning tops and bag of party bag type toys

Wall-E is the current robot type film so hoping the children can describe the characters to me and make a find the robot from description type game with pictures from the film.

Exploring metalic instruments for robot music/movements

Hiding metal objects in damp sawdust to find with magnets-hoping to get other half to search the garage for nuts, screws, fly wheels instead of the usual househols ojects

There is some music ideas in Music Express FS pg 50 which has a song about the movements and pictures on the CD but not had change to review it yet-looks to be a story and jigsaw

Will be interested to see others ideas

Edited by Guest

Biccy our children like the 'Walking like a Robot song!'

If you wanted to tie it in with Letters & Sounds there are some activities in Phase 1 at least, and Sparklebox do some supporting materials including a mask.

there is an exhibition on at the Horniman museum, it may be too far for you to get to but they might have some photos on their website

There must be 'something in the air' - we have been looking at robots too .........we made some very cool robots ........ drew simple robot outline ....children cut out (body/head, arms and legs as separate pieces) ....then joined arms and legs to bodies with split pin fasteners.

Hope that makes sense

Harry and the Robots (One of the Harry and the dinosaur series)

Ours loved walking and talking like robots.

Made a robot with our large blocks.

Sunnyday

My little girl took a robot arm into pre-school today.

It's basically one of those 'helper' arms that disabled people use and we got it at our local science centre. This could lead into some really interesting thinking about how robots can be useful to human beings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)