Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hijacking

Susan

As Moderators we are becoming concerned about the number of threads that are being hijacked and that are diminishing the content of the other posts and in some cases even causing some rifts.

We have always been a self moderating community and it has served us well, the support here is second to none. Please help us to keep it this way. You can find posting guidelines within the Forum tips and tricks section here!

You may also like to look at Lessons from Geese if you havent found that.

The moderators as a team will be removing post that are felt to be inconsequential or harmful to the thread in question as soon as they are spotted and they will be reinstated should we then feel there was a place for the comments after all.

Thank you.

Blimey - hope you don't think I'm hijacking this one now! I'm really not - would you rather we didn't 'welcome' new members in the middle of a thread?

It would just feel 'mean' not to do so when you spot that it's someones first post.

Perhaps I should go and read the 'rules'!!!

Sunnyday

No need for anyone to hang their head in shame! :o

I think we're just a bit concerned that as the FSF is becoming busier and busier, it's easy for the 'old hands' to feel so comfortable that they tend to natter about anything wherever they happen to be (I'm not immune to this myself before anyone else points it out...). I think it's also possible to forget what it's like to be new and/or slightly unsure of yourself, so I'm anxious that if a less familiar member says something, they don't get an abrupt contradictory reply which puts them off contributing further. There's no point in me re-articulating something that's been said before, so here's a quote from the 'Forum Introduction' page:

The best way to stifle a debate is to respond too heavily to someone who has ventured a cautious opinion. We're all involved and care deeply about the subject so let's respect differences of opinion. For the reasons being discussed here, this community is moderated (which just means that someone is responsible for regularly checking new messages and withdrawing any that are not felt to conform to the house rules. It's worth noting that in the last year, only six posts have been deleted - three of them from the same ex-member)

(Although Susan linked you to the 'Tips and Tricks' page, I think there's a lot of useful information on the 'Forum Introduction' page, which you can find here.)

And sunnyday - no it most certainly doesn't mean you can't welcome people in!! We're just trying to make sure some really good conversations don't get lost in some enjoyable but slightly distracting flim flam. Don't let it cramp your style too much. xD

A very timely reminder.

I would also like to reinforce another section of the introduction.

And to use the community in this way requires accepting responsibilities. In a physical gathering of friends and colleagues there will be disagreements and differing points of view. We expect this. But it is all to easy, when you're not in the same room as someone else, to become dismissive, abusive or sarcastic in your responses (a kind of online 'Road Rage'.

To be avoided at all costs.

Equally excess negativity can pull a post down. A personal rule: if i can't offer something positive I don't post.

CX

Phew - feeling a bit better now!

Hope I have never been too contradictory or heavy handed in my replies - not my style - my little sentence 'Be kind to others, for each of us is fighting some kind of battle' - is how I try to conduct myself - not only on here but in life in general (I'm no angel and I do fail to live up to my own expectations sometimes).

I do know though that I am a persistent 'natterer' - will try and stop - promise!

I belong to other 'Early Years' forums but never, ever use them - I have been made to feel comfortable and welcome on this forum from day one - perhaps too 'comfortable' for my own good!!!

Sunnyday

It is that comfort that we strive to maintain, sunnyday and I think overall we do pretty well! Ive always felt that I was chatting to friends but its not nice when you are interrupted. making mistakes is ok too, after all isnt that what we encourage the children to do in order to enhance their learning as long as we grow from that mistake?

Thanks everyone for understanding.