Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cleaning The Hall After Sessions

Hi all,

I'm after a quick straw poll if you don't mind.

We are having problems with the lady who is mean to clean our village hall and who doesn't do a very good job. We found a (very old) used sanitary towel behind one of the toilets last weekend OMG!! Unfortunately she's on the hall committee so politics mean we can't just clamp down on her.

I've suggested that we employ our own cleaner, say 3 days a week for an hour. Could I ask what other settings do? In theory it's the hall committee's job to keep it clean, but it doesn't get done and the dirt is increasingly ingrained from years of neglect.

Thanks,

Sue.

A cleaner....bliss!!! :ph34r::(:o

My setting is in the womens institute hut and boy we get it in the neck if there is any signs of any children having been there. They had the cheek to say to me didnt I know it wasnt xmas now so could we stop using glitter as it gets everywhere :rolleyes: :unsure: xD:( :( Bah! humbug! I did reply quite curtly to this that children love the glitter, playdough etc and there woudnt be a pre-school without it. Supervisor then got a complaint about a rude member of staff ;) :wacko: xD

We have to do it all ourselves Im afraid. Includs, hoovering, cleaning toilets, chairs, putting everything away. To get it to their standards is awful too. Got told off on my first day as I hadnt put the cups in the right cupboard. I have now learnt to bite my tongue and actually jut dont speak to her if she comes in checking. That way i cant be complained about

With staff shortages and our hours being cut we are finding it harder to clean up. There has been an odd occasion when all staff had to go to school with lunch club leaving no one to tidy up. A quick call to chair meant that she had to or she had to organise someone else to do it as we refused to do it when we came back (plus hall may be needed). After a couple of times doing this there was talk about getting a cleaner but i cant see it some how.

Go for it if you can!

Sorry my posts seem to alway be complaining at the moment!

Edited by marley

It's a tricky one and i would like to know why some of us live in fear of our hall committee!?! We don't have a cleaner only a caretaker and to be honest with you we are unsure what he actually does (certainly not a lot of cleaning). We and all the other users of the hall have to clean everywhere after use and then he 'cleans' every Friday. Say no more, if you can afford a cleaner then I would, I know myself and my staff would really appreciate it if we were being offered someone to clean 3 times a week. mrsW

I used to put marks on the floor near the edges just to prove the floor was never properly cleaned, the marks were there for months. Blue chalk!

I think if you have a cleaner in a church hall or other rented accomodation, who actually does a good job then you're lucky. Most people have to do their own. Even if its just a sweep up at the end and clean the loos before the session starts.

We were in a village hall too and cleaning was a constant problem. The original cleaner only turned up about one time in four, and then gave it a very superficial clean. We battled with the hall committee for a year and a half before finally getting a proper cleaner. (And I was the hall committee secretary, but the others were 'old' village and my opinion counted for little!)

The other battle we had was the state the hall was left in by other hall users, in between the times the cleaner came in. We had the audacity to complain after which the self appointed caretaker (aka busy body next door!!) took it upon herself to check the hall after every time the playgroup used the hall and gleefully point out any speck of fluff or bread crumb on the floor. :o Needless to say nothing was ever said to any of the other hall users.

The reality was that staff kept the hall clean which was effectively paid for by the committee during our setting up and clearing away times. It would've been more cost effective to pay someone to do the cleaning at a lower rate, and have the staff working on the more important things. xD

We do all our own, but we're the main users of the building. Staff take turns with things and actually no-one minds. If we're quiet we'll tackle bits when the children are there as they love to help, never been a problem - but it was when we were based in the school!

Hi Suzie

I can look at this from both sides - I am owner/manager of a pre-school in a village hall and I am secretary and bookings clerk for the management committee of said village hall!

So...... with my pre-school 'hat on'........ it's jolly frustrating to have to 'clean' after other hall users before you can start session, I'm lucky this doesn't happen too often. I respect the fact that we are in 'community building' and even though the committee employs a cleaner - I don't expect anyone to have to 'clean' up after me!

And......with my hall secretary 'hat on' ....... the pre-school pays a comparatively low rent, it would therefore be impossible to pay the hall cleaner to come in after each session. Cleaners in general (I have found) are a law unto themselves - ours for instance likes to 'pull out' and clean behind the cooker and fridge on a regular basis, clean the cooker - which is used 'once in a flood' - but is not half as keen on cleaning loos thoroughly - this is despite constant reminders from the hall secretary/pre-school leader and.......if anyone really leaves a real mess.......she has been known to ring the hall secretary to say she can't cope with that level of cleaning :o Oh sack her - I hear you cry!!! - Not possible really when you all live in a tiny village!!!

Anyway hope this is of some help - in a nutshell I suppose what I'm saying is ..... if you can afford it - employ your own cleaner - but choose carefully xD

Sunnyday

A quick update. After a flurried exchange of emails between committee members, it's looking like we're going to employ a proper cleaning company to come in once a week (Monday mornings) for an hour before the staff arrive. At least that way we have a freshly cleaned hall at the start of the week.

I find it amazing that you guys have to clean your settings on top of all the rest of the stuff you do.

Your time is valuable and should not be spent acting as cleaners (although actually we will end up paying the cleaning company an hourly rate which is more than some of our staff get paid, which can't be right).

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Hi sunnyday, we're looking at £20 for an hour, but I think that's two people and they supply all their own cleaning stuff. HTH, Sue.