Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm Soooo Cross With Myself!

kittycat1279

I was really pleased last night because I only had 3 reports left to do - was up reasonably early so I thought I's try and get them done. Went to turn my laptop on and it did a long beep and is now saying that the boot drive is corrupt. Now besides all the other work that is on it, which I don't really care about at the moment, there are the 24 reports that I have finished! I have spent so much of the last week doing them and I will be so upset if it can't be retrieved! The really annoying part is that I normally back them up on a memory stick as I go along but for some reason this year I didn't! Aaaagggghhhh!!!!! :oxD:(:(:(

Don't panic! I have been there on a couple of occasions including the report scenario whe I lost all of my reports and profile scores for the year. More recently (and some good news) our PC decided to do the same earlier this year but I managed to get things off the hard drive.

First thing to do is to let your Head know - explain what has happened and that you normally store them on a memory stick. At least then, they are in the picture and should give you an extension and will be able to plan their 'read through/comment' time accordingly. Say that you can give them in as you finish each one. Whatever you do, don't set an unrealistic and tight deadline - this will put you under more pressure which is not good.

Secondly, don't take it to a certain PC store - they will charge you lots to get the data off and then say its a couple of weeks before they can do it. (Further panic ensues!!!) They may also try to indicate that you can't do it yourself which is not true as I managed to do it myself!

If you are quite confident in your skill level with a PC, then it is possible to get your files off. If not, find someone like a friendly IT technician or friend who is. What you will need is a hard drive enclosure (like a small metal box with a USB cable and perhaps a power cable). You will also need a small screwdriver set so that you can take the screws out which are holding the harddrive in the PC. Basically, you need to get the hard drive out of the PC, put it into the enclosure and then plug it into your laptop or another PC. It will either appear as an another disk (a bit like a memory stick) or will become a partition of your harddrive. Once you have found out which it is, you can then explore the files on it as you normally would.

Having learnt the hardway, once you get everything off, buy another harddrive, pop it in the enclosure and use this as your back up. Memory sticks are ok, but they can suddenly decide to lose things too (yes had that happen too!).

I hope you manage to get things sorted, I know it is easy to say from where I am, but as someone said to me, if it's not working, then there is nothing you can do except grab a cup of tea and have some down time - or do filing!!

Good luck xx

I'm definitely with you but mine was the other way round - I kept everything on memory stick and it dies - taking with it all my Guiding records of who I have on the Leadership Qualification, who HAS already completed and what units they did and the way they did them etc. All the Open University assignments I'd ever done - although luckily I had some on a CD too. Loads of photographs.

and stuff that I've not realised was on there yet!

At Christmas I also wiped 2000+ photographs of the Preschool children off a memory stick by accident, I was deleting one and it decided to do more - it wasn't till I stopped it thinking 'hang on, this is taking a long time, oh never mind' that I realised!

Yes, you can have your hard drive retrieved, you can take it out and put it into a new driver which plugs into your USB port (of a working computer/laptop obviously)

You can also have a copy taken of it - but that does cost money - not sure how much these days

As Zebedee so often says, "Computers are great when they are working, but absolute c**p when they don't want to play"

With apologies for the language on a Sunday morning!

You have my every sympathy - I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. I always feel really sick when it happens.

You poor thing, that's awful. Why does that sort of thing only happen at times like this when you've done an unusually huge amount of incredibly important work? (Not to make you feel worse, but to sympathise!) I had a similar disaster last september - I posted on here and everyone was really lovely and sympathetic and had lots of helpful ideas - if you find my old thread there might be something there that would help you. I took it to the school IT technician and he retrieved everything, for which I was eternally grateful. Good luck with it - I've got my fingers crossed for you - let us know how it goes!

Just wanted to let you know I've got my fingers, toes, eyes and everything else that I can cross for you, hoping that all will be resolved tomorrow;)

Your post certainly reminded me of (the more than once) times I've felt that horrible sick feeling in my tummy when the computer crashes or I have lost stuff, always vowing to back up, back up, back up. :o

Peggy

Good luck!

Peggy's description of 'horrible,sick feeling in my tummy' made me think of the time I threw my car keys into a bottle bank along with an empty bottle.........but that's another story........

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Hi SP61HJ,

Don't worry, they will be able to save what ever you wish to be saved. Make a list and give it to your parents so that the man has that already on hand. I have had the same problem twice and have been able to get things recovered.

Best wishes!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news - I was able to get all of my documents back for a meer £15 and have now finished and handed in my reports - yeah!!! My laptop is dead - something to do with the motherboard but I really don't care about that!

Thanks for all your words of support - it stopped me having such a major panic!

Edited by SP61HJ

That's great news - we can get down of our tenterhooks now! phew!

I've just bought a western digital external hard drive 500GB and backed up all of my stuff to there!