Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Area

Has anyone got any photos and ideas they can share on how to make a cosy, inviting and inspiring book corner? Especially pack away settings?

Sure there must be photos on here somewhere but I have searched and searched so if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be grateful!

I understand that we have to be careful with 'cosy and inviting' for fire regulations. Does anyone else know anything about this? Soft furnishings and drapes and dens being a fire hazard? We've just kept ours simple with the book display rack and an assortment of chairs, stools, a bench and some beanbags for now, but the children seem to like it

Inge uploaded some photos of her magical book corner, I think! They're in the Gallery, under something like "Members Albums".

Have a look - very inspirational indeed!

Maz

I showed that photo to a couple of my co-workers today and they thought it was fab idea just as i did, so when we get back we will be trying to create something that will hopefully be just as good.

samfrostie :o

glad it gives inspiration

we used a cheap garden umbrella and a stand filled with sand as the basis to work on, both donated by parents in our case, we had parents donate voiles and all we bought was a bed net Ikea do them but ours was a local shop and has sequins on it. the stand is covered with cushions when in use

Inge

This is the book area at Wingate which I think works really well.

Just beautiful Marion! I could really aspire to a book corner like this - I'll bet the children really enjoy being in it!

Sadly it looks about half the size of my pre-school and I can't imagine getting all that in the cupboard every day. Now all I need to do is figure out how I can incorporate some of those ideas in my more modest space!

Love it!

Maz

A corner with IKEA round bath mats in various colours £1.95 from memory with colour matching cushions ...

The round Ikea mats are a feature of many pre-schools because they light, washable and the children can easily move them to where they are needed. And they're cheap too! Where would we be without Ikea, I wonder? :o

I was thinking more of those lovely seaing units which seem to have storage underneath - just fab!

Maz

Thanks for the photo. Looks very good and not too difficult to create. Do you have to pack it away every day?

Any other photos out there from anyone???

yes put it away every day, just fold down the umbrella and stash in cupboard on its stand.. easy... or should it be simples....

Inge

Luckily (and sensibly) Paddy stipulated what she wanted in the rebuild and the result is amazing.

As you say, it is a lucky lady who knows what she wants and is able to pull together the wherewithall to get it built! I really must try and get to see this amazing place that you rave about - there is always something you can take away, some inspiration that you can steal elements of for your own setting. And in the meantime I can dream about what I'd do if I were ever to win the lottery. :o

Maz

... it's the built in storage with surraces all child height that I really envy... :o

I've got loads of kitchen-like units all round my classroom, which take up loads of space but are too high really for presenting resources for children to access them easily and independently. xD

I would just love to design and build and completely furnish and resource my own school or nursery....

Possum it's a new build nursery school but the head Paddy Beels insisted on input on the design and finish with results that actually work unlike those produced by architects who have never considered the practicalities. Meanwhile the rest of us have to make the best of the buildings we have

insisted on input on the design and finish with results that actually work unlike those produced by architects who have never considered the practicalities.

we had this but they didn't listen and our setting doesn't work :oxD the smell from the open plan toilets is terrible, outdoor storage is inaccessable, the nursery room goes dark when the sun goes behind a cloud as its lit by sun tunnels.......

as a tax payer it makes me so cross :(

as a practitioner it makes me sad :(

Where is wingate?

Thank, Marion. Lovely photo! The wooden floor and furniture, together with the decorating accessories, is just delightful. It is a blessing when you have someone like Ms Beels who takes into account reality and has the resources to make them true. I will see if I have a photo of our Book Corner and I will share it as well, but our corner is small and needs updating with some nice cushions that fit well on top of the benches.

I'm at that point in the year when I start really thinking - right, what's going to be different and improved next year? and I'm thinking about my book corner. This year's was improved a great deal from last year - bigger space, big settee brought in - but it's in the least valued part of the setting - a kind of corridor-y central area that links us with KS1 and our indoor and outdoor. I've got one part of the space that is really especially great and at the moment the role play is there, which has been great for the role play. I'd quite like to put the book area there and give it more status and better display etc but that would put the role play in the central area - which might mean less productive play going on in role play as well as more noise for KS1.

...hmmmm. Going to keep thinking on it.

We should really have a setting layout and design consultancy section on here!!!!

We should really have a setting layout and design consultancy section on here!!!!

It's the swings and roundabout effect that gets to me. xD We arrange an area for its benefit/improvment but then have to fit everything around it and something always loses out. :o We have a very strange space (a bit like a major motorway junction on a roadmap) with only 1 corner and a dyslectic spider planned the carpet/hard surface area

• 2 months later...
A corner with IKEA round bath mats in various colours £1.95 from memory with colour matching cushions ...

thought they were brill so i made a visit to IKEA today :o

so have you got the full rainbow? Wish we had an Ikea near us

if they had all the colours of the rainbow i probably would have but i just got the bright colours--white wouldn't have stayed white for very long so i gave that a miss!! our nearest IKEA is about 40 minutes drive-but worth it :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)