Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios

can i ask any of you who run a kids club from your nursery how many staff pick up the children from school and where the regulation comes from?

i recently encountered 1 member of staff collecting 11 children from school rec-yr6 and was concerened..however when reported the person was told it was ok because there is no ratio????

ideas?

actually I dont think there is a recommended ratio.. risk assessments to show how you would deal with things would be needed , and there is good practice but not set ratios for this...

Inge

If the children are in the EYFS though there probably are ratios, surely? xD

Haven't looked in the EYFS documentation though, but I would be surprised if the under fives could go from a situation in a reception class where the ratios are stated into an after school club where they could mix in with a group of unlimited size and age group. Or is it just me? :o

Maz

Well playing devil's advocate, who's to say that children aren't collected from school by a neighbour who has their own four children and getting your three?

I know what you mean though

OK I just looked at the DCSF website followed a link to teachernet's EYFS FAQ section here:-

What should the staffing arrangements be in maintained schools in before and after school provision and holiday provision?

The EYFS recommends that there should be a minimum of one member of staff for every eight children, that one member of staff should hold a level 3 qualification and that half all other staff should hold level 2 qualifications.

Later on I also found a link to the 4Children website where you can download their leaflet about implementing the EYFS in after school clubs.

Not sure where all this gets us though!

Maz

• 3 weeks later...

Do you mean an after school club? If so its 1:8 for all under 8. But there is not a regulation for over 8's, as far as I know. However we stick to 1:8 for the whole group (4 years to 12 years inclusive)

Hope that helps.

Neil

can i ask any of you who run a kids club from your nursery how many staff pick up the children from school and where the regulation comes from?

i recently encountered 1 member of staff collecting 11 children from school rec-yr6 and was concerened..however when reported the person was told it was ok because there is no ratio????

ideas?

Childminders have ratios for collecting under 8's from schools so why not any other Ofsted regulated group? I am confident there must be some requirements.

Well playing devil's advocate, who's to say that children aren't collected from school by a neighbour who has their own four children and getting your three?

So long as the neighbour isn't charging for this service there isn't a problem: Ofsted hasn't (as yet) intruded into family/friend caring arrangements.

Maz

Childminders have ratios for collecting under 8's from schools so why not any other Ofsted regulated group? I am confident there must be some requirements.

Childminders could collect that group if no more than six were under 8 years old.

Over eights are only limited by our judgement about how they may affect the care of the younger children. As the age range was up to year 6 several could easily be over 8 years.

I'm not saying this is how it should be - it's just how it is