Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Payment For Training

Does anyone get paid for training? I have never been paid for any training before but apparently in my new setting they always have been. On our May timesheets I recorded as advised all of our training hours this month which amounts to a good few hours as my staff had not attended training for a while before I took over and needed first aid and safeguarding. I have now been invited to a meeting on friday to discuss training payments so I take it my committee arent happy! I dont want to fall out but surely if we have to do 24 hours of training plus core training each year we should be paid for it? :o

Does anyone get paid for training? I have never been paid for any training before but apparently in my new setting they always have been. On our May timesheets I recorded as advised all of our training hours this month which amounts to a good few hours as my staff had not attended training for a while before I took over and needed first aid and safeguarding. I have now been invited to a meeting on friday to discuss training payments so I take it my committee arent happy! I dont want to fall out but surely if we have to do 24 hours of training plus core training each year we should be paid for it? :o

Hello, we are a committee run preschool also. All of my staff get paid for any training they attned, this includes staff meetings, in house training and CPD training.

I feel that if my staff are committed to attend the training in their own time and can then use this to improve how we practice then they deserve to be paid. Im am very lucky that i have very understandin and supportive committee who are actively involved on a daily basis. I know that my staff appreciate the extra wages for taking time out of their busy lives to attend any relelvant training.

Maybe the amount of training coming all at once has scared them a bit. Do you know what state the finances are in?

I used to get paid if training was on a day I would have normally worked, we didnt work Mondays so were never paid for training on those days, on our half days if the training was all day we got paid for half. I know some places where you're given time off in lieu.

Of course you should be paid to attend, you are doing the training for the benefit of the pre-school and you wouldn't be doing it if you weren't working there, so it's a direct part of your work and you really should be paid.

If it's a requirement of your employment that you undertake a certain number of hours training per year, then I would say you should definitely be paid for it. However, there does need to be a 'cap' on it, as committees do not have a bottomless purse. If you undertake training for your own personal development, which the group are not asking you to do, then that is different.

Our settings finances are very good. I agree that if training is for own personal development then its not on to expect payment but as we are required to have 24 hours of CPD per year I do think we should be paid for it. This current committee have had historic issues with staff demanding wage rises and I think this has scared them. All I can do is explain what we have to do to meet NEG requirements. They told me today that only 50% of staff need to be 1st aid trained. There are only 3 of us though and surely its good practice for us all to have this and all to have our safeguarding children. If this was the case it would mean 29 hours worth of essential training per year. This totals for 3 of us approx £650.00 extra a year.

I pay my staff for training days/workshops/seminars etc.etc.

However, one staff member will begin DPP in September - with NEC - I am paying for the training course - but she will be studying in her own time.

Does that make sense? - In other words she won't have any paid 'study leave' - I think that is completely fair and so does she - she will, after all, gain a qualification that she can use anywhere.

Sunnyday

Hi we never use to get paid but when our old leader left we found out she had been putting in claims for the courses she went on and petrol allowances , on most of these courses other staff had attend and was told they would not be paid.How crafty was she .

Anyway when our present leader took over she makes sure we are all paid for courses , staff meetings the only thing we do not get paid for his our learning journeys which take up lot of our free time , we have tried but the committee seem have this idea that the learning journeys do not need be done that often mmmmmmm wonder if they would like have chat with ofsted or our early learning advisor .

Edited by bubblybee3107

We try to ensure all our staff are first aid trained so anyone can deal with an incident. That way children are more likely to stay calm than if a member of staff has to be found. We get paid for time spent training when funds allow. For NVQ type courses time is not paid for but course costs are covered where possible and if necessary.

Hi All - in my view all staff should have first aid - you never know when it will be needed - what if an adult & a child were injured ? All courses within EYfS have to be done - learning journeys have to be done - starff should expect to be paid for their time - in my setting key-persons have an hour a week to up-date and a moring off when they feel necessary to make assessments usually every 8 weeks - how can we have good quality early years provision without all of us being able to evaluate our observations !!!! :o

I think this is a bit of a tricky one :o

I am talking about 'training courses' as opposed to studying for a specific qualification.

For example I am currently attending a series of training courses for the IDP.

The training benefits me personally and professionally and whilst I continue to work in my current setting it hopefully benefits the children too. If I move elsewhere I can't leave my training behind, it's part of what 'goes with me'.

We are a very small setting and 'no money' changes hands for training. It is therefore swings and roundabouts. If training falls on a day I would normally work I get paid as usual, if it falls on my day off I don't get anything extra. For us it seems fair and it works. We do have full time staff and therefore they always need time of for training courses and get paid as normal. Some say I (as a part time member of staff) am at a financial disadvantage but I don't see it like that.

Due to tight finances in our setting I have instigated a new system this year, linked to our SEF. We all have equal access to all courses available through our training book issued by LA. If the course falls in line with our identified targets for the setting in our SEF then we will pay staff for attending. If they don't the staff member is free to go but they will not be paid. Does that make sense?

This is very much the way that our LA is going to be working in future. As I understand it (we are a large rural county) more training will be available locally, driven by demand from settings and drawing on their identified targets through SEF. It may be that settings can cluster and share training where their targets are similar...

There will be centralised general training including Safeguarding, First Aid etc.

I think I've over simplified but it does make sense to me! If the training helps the setting achieve their targets then staff should be paid for attending.

Edited by Guest

I pay my staff for training days/workshops/seminars etc.etc.

However, one staff member will begin DPP in September - with NEC - I am paying for the training course - but she will be studying in her own time.

Does that make sense? - In other words she won't have any paid 'study leave' - I think that is completely fair and so does she - she will, after all, gain a qualification that she can use anywhere.

Sunnyday

Hi Sunnyday

Im doing this course with NEC and my LEA paid for it! They keep checks on me to make sure I am doing it but they paid the whole lot. Does your LEA not do that?

Thinking about it they did prefer me to do NVQ3 but i wrote a letter jsutifying my reasons why i prefered the diploma and they were fine!

we pay staff for training within their normal working time for short courses (half to one day). for NVQs we also pay them for planning meetings and do the observations during work time. sometimes they get time off in lieu. It is dependent on funds though and no-one used to get paid for training but we get the graduate leader fund now and I use some of this to pay for training. we have also recently paid course costs for NVQ (the bit the LEA doesn't pay) and online safeguarding courses. when I did my EYPS the LEA paid cover costs and this happens with some other (usually SEN) courses too, in which case staff get paid as normal and the setting doesn't lose out.

A

In Kent, many training courses say - cover will be paid. If one of my staff goes on first aid training, - I pay them immediately, and Kent reimburse me via the BACS system some time later. If employers or committees are keeping that money back, I feel this is wrong. Whilst training is obviously a benefit to the person doing it, they should be paid for their time. One of my staff returned from a first aid course and said that one of the other participants was only getting her usual hourly rate of pay - the payment from Kent to cover her absence was much greater than her hourly rate. Again, personally, I think that was wrong.

The qualification courses, i.e. DPP etc. is a different case - I am willing to pay something towards the course and allow time off for study, if asked, but I do not pay the whole cost. When I took my DPP the owner of the pre-school did pay for it, but I agreed to stay at that setting for at least 3 years after qualifying. As it turned out, I bought the pre-school from her!

Have just read my last post - I can see why this system works for my setting, but not work for others - apologies.... We quite often don't need to get supply cover in if someone is on a course, so therefore they can receive the benefit of the cover payment. If it's a course for myself, I only book them on my days off.

Again apologies, previous post was a bit crazeeeee

I'm like LJW basically. If the course supports either the setting's targets, the individual targets for a staff member (agreed during their appraisal) or relates to the staff member's specific role, then it is paid for. if staff want to go on other courses from their own interests then it has to be in their own time.

Gruffalo2 :o

Have just read my last post - I can see why this system works for my setting, but not work for others - apologies.... We quite often don't need to get supply cover in if someone is on a course, so therefore they can receive the benefit of the cover payment. If it's a course for myself, I only book them on my days off.

Again apologies, previous post was a bit crazeeeee

do understand where you are coming from.. (is that the phrase?)

But and it is a big BUT majority of other areas do not get paid for the cover.. we didn't and it had to come out of the normal budget...

and by paying normal wage even if setting gets more gives some for admin in sorting out the cover and the course for the staff, may seem like a small task but know I was often on phone or sorting out these things for ages ...and as many in my own time..

Courses are not always available on days off, and if in 5 days a week there is no day off to use... or as in many cases my staff used to work a second job on those days and evenings as well to try to make up for the wage shortfall from doing this job which they all loved and did not want to leave...

It works for some settings, but majority not.

Inge