Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Not Doing Topics

Hi I know this has been covered before, but from September I want to stop having Topics and also Not doing sit down register time. Does anyone not do sit down register. The children come in and self register and then go and play. Any ideas or views on any of these would bge a help thanks.

Dorinda

Hi dorinda

I have never done 'sit down register'...........I register as they arrive - the children then 'self-register' - find name and post it into box with another staff member.

Have also pretty much given topics the old 'heave-ho' ........have some ideas in mind .........but really try to 'go with the flow' following children's interest.

Sunnyday

We do the same as sunny day, throw out those topics go with the flow it's great not to be tied down.....

We have not sat down to do register for a long long time, I always felt as though it was a fighting a losing battle to expect children to come in and sit down, when they had lots of lovely activities to go and explore.

children come in and its what we call a morning book its for them to come in and get if they just want to sit and draw or write. Abit of offloading time and you get interesting pictures first thing in a morning. We feel that children come in in a morning and need time to chat and forget about any negative issues at home and talk about them or draw them. Aswell they self register using communication for all website resource and can choose or sit down and draw in this book. Then I stop them and put on activate and then we have a 5-10mins carpet time then go off and do activities CI or my adult led. THen we have assembly and go straight out to play. We as a school have changed it to this way because they would come in activate, sit for register, sit for assembly and then sit for carpet time. Too much sitting we feel!!!! The whole school adopts this approach

Topic wise I do plan in ourselves or somthing similar every september but otherwise its really led by childrens interests. I make sure i cover as many festivals as possible. I have attached a document I tend to use and fill it in as and when

long_term_plan.doc

Hi Dorinda, We are a pre-school, haven't done sit down register for years. Children are marked in as they arrive at the door by an adult, these days we actually write in the time they arrive. They then go and self-register and get on with the serious stuff of playing. As to topics, we introduce the thought of one or two - which we feel the children would benefit from, but mostly go with the flow. Just be ready to lay your hands on resources - many and varied as easily as possible!!

Hi Dorinda again, If you do not do topics how do you sort out your learn term planning.Has anyone got anyones they could send so I can down load. Thanks

Hi Dorinda

Long term planning doesn't really exist for us now - well it does in the form of 'continuous provision' - in other words our continous provision/environment can provide for all areas of learning and then we add 'enhancements' .... this could be adult initiated activity or new/extra resources.

Have you got any 'continous provision' sheets on display in your setting or in your operational plan?

TES have some great continuous provision sheets that you could download and adapt to your setting.

Sunnyday

Our children self register when they come in but the older group take it in turns to call a register from a print-out which is good for name recognition and mark-making. Now they have evolved this to doing the same sheet, but on the computer and they fill in the boxes with the capital letter of the child's name.

The print-out is the one we grab on fast exit, it has the contact details on a sheet below so we have what we need

Hi - just a thought about registration time:

We have welcome time - children arrive and chill, chat, choose one of 4 floor activities - at present treasure basket, paper shredder, number puzzle pieces hidden in huge bowl of shredded paper, and number feely bag. Explore together, alone or with practitioner until most have arrived.

Then call register and children line up as hear their name - change order each day!

Do this because we found children did not know each others' names.

As for no topics - we having fun "going with the flow."

Hope this helps! (P.S. we are a pre-school of up to 30 per session, and do not do this during sessions for younger children).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)