Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Know I Am Silly But..!

Gezabel

Any bright ideas from you mums of older 'children'. My eldest son left home to go to University and though I missed him dreadfully I was all big and brave and drove him 200 miles to start his uni life (and then cried most of the way home!!!) He graduated and had to move out of uni accommodation and came home until he found a job. He managed that within a month but the job was in London so he was happy to live at home and commute. He has been doing so ever since but now he is really fleeing the nest and is moving to London next week xD

It is his 26th birthday today ( yes I know its high time he was long gone!!) and during the birthday dinner he commented that it was his last one lving at home :(

Just another milestone for me to deal with.

Over the years nearly everything my sons have done has been in quick succession as they are so close in age (now 26, 25 23 and 21) son number two has just put an offer in on a house so he is on his way too. The baby of the family is off to AUstralis next year - help!!!!! (or just tell me not to be silly and get a grip!) :o

Oh I dont think you have to get a grip Geraldine, my two are only 14 and 11 but I know I wont like to think of them out in the world without me whatever age they reach. They might meet a girl you'd normally only see on Blind Date!! Oh sorry, I'm supposed to be comforting you!!! Just take comfort in the fact that you have raised and equiped 4 (!) young men to be confident enough to face the world alone. :D

Well I dont think its silly at all!

How lovely that you and they can all still enjoy one anothers company and live together harmoniously.

Of course you will feel sad, its another stage in all your lives but you can rest assured that you have done a good job and sent 4 well adjusted young men on their way to independent adult hood and isnt that what we all want for our children?

Fortunately, my sons are a bit younger than yours, although the eldest is fast approaching 18. I am not looking forward to him leaving home but he knows that he has a home here for as long as he wants it, although not to doss in! And when the time comes I shall be sad and I shall worry but what I want for him is to find his niche in life and be happy. If he can achieve that then I hope I will be happy too! :D

Good luck Geraldine to you and your sons!

I know exactly how you feel Geraldine. My son went to uni 3 years ago and I, like you, was very brave when we took him down there. But on the way home I couldn't speak-my husband, daughter and I sat all the way from Cambridge to Stockport in complete silence!!! I had such a lump in my throat I thought I was going to choke!! He graduated this summer but has gone back to Cambridge because his girlfriend is now in her 3rd year. I know that he has gone for good this time and that he will only come home for a visit every now and then.

I am lucky though at the moment because my daughter who is 24 is still at home and destined to be for a while as she is hoping to start a nursing course next year and won't be able to afford to leave home.

So not silly just a mum who obviously loves her boys very much!

Linda

Oh I know just how you feel. My 26 year old is here at the moment and he has moved in and out over the last few years and will be moving out again after Xmas. I think we all hate our children moving on. My other son is now 29 and moved out a long time ago, and I hated him going too, but he is now married and I have a 10 month old grandchild - what a joy and one which you will have to come- just wonderful and gives me a new lease of life.

Sounds a bit 'precious' but it is how life is, we have done our bit and our children must do theirs, a good parent can let go.. they come boucing back one way or another.

At least you know you will see them again and share all their news, they are at the end of a phone and you can look forward to seeing them again. Imagine what it would be like never to see or hear from them again.

:D Thank you, you lovely lot :D

Feeling a bit better now!

Son has now pointed out that I can have overnight shopping trips to London :o

He has also reminded me of what he said when he left to go to university - I made some comment about me "untying the apron strings" and he said if I found that tough then not to 'cut' them but just change them for elastic! :D

Lovely piccies!!

Mine are 24 - daughter, married but thankfully close by, sone 22 - at home, self employed in technical theatre so might have him for a while yet!! :o

But, yes, it's sad but glad that we've succeeded in our main purpose!!

Sue :D

its always good to know that they are happy and able to enjoy life to the full , and you did everything to help them achieve that. My son went to uni last year now in year 2 but did not return for breaks or the summer, found himself a job, accomodation and then asked for us to bring him his bed!! He missed it!! he is now not home for christmas this year - off to kenya scuba diving with a Uni mate and her family - (all his friends seem to be female) he is an only and we are just happy that he is confident and self sufficent enough to live his own life.

He knows we will always support him and be here if he needs us.

Inge

Beau just feel proud not sad. You have helped to give them confidence to want to fly the nest. Mine both left home 13 years ago and although I did worry about them I knew they had to move on. They both still have their own front door keys to our house and still come and go as and when they please. The only difference is that they bring their own families. My son-in-law has just just paid a flying visit and raided the food cupboard on the home from work.I am really happy their their partners feel able to treat my home as theirs also.

When the grandchildren were born the feeling was amazing and you have all this to look forward too.

I have been trying to keep busy today and whilst I have been wandering around the forum there has been what sounds like a herd of elephants in the house!

Today is the day, my oldest son is moving out - the van has arrived, the hall, landing and seemingly everywhere else is strewn with packed boxes all now about to be loaded up. Two of his brothers are lending a helping hand (the other is sunning himself in the carribean!) and the sound of laughter is echoing around the house. I am being all big and brave and am happy and excited for him but it's a funny sort of day xD and I feel a golfball in throat looming :o

He will be home for Christmas though :D

Oh Geraldine xD If he's anything like either of my boys he'll have left you plenty of reminders, plates and cups under the bed, odd socks, rubbish that missed the bin, a collection of emprty pens... :o You'll soon be smiling again. :):)

Geraldine,

I've just come across this topic for the first time ...your boys are gorgeous (both then and now!) I've just said to Steve how I wish we had more children (we have 2) and he's gone very pale...........

OH! six would be great :D

The only reason I stopped at four was due to medical reasons, they were all born by caesarian and three was the limit back then - no. 4 is lucky to be here!!

Well that's it he's gone :o Did I cry? NO I didnt :D

Didn't even cry after I had waved him off, nor when I wandered into the empty room :D

To date we have £4:20 in loose change, some odd socks that could walk themselves to the bin, 11 (yes 11!!) teaspoons - he always was a yoghurt freak!

Son and heir no 4 is thrilled as he has inherited some 'bits' big brother decided he no longer wanted. It includes a petrol run radio controlled monster thingy, a touch operated mobile phone, some shirts and jeans, a very snazzy belt and best of all his video camera!!!

So I was heartened by your messages and chuffed at my non crying ability but alas I succumbed and have had a bawling session xD Why? because son number two has just phoned from his far flung island holiday, not to ask after big brother (apparently he sent him a text message earlier) but to see if I am OK

Ohh! the joys of motherhood :D

You obviously provided your son with such a wonderful and loving home. Luckily I haven't got to go through this 'agony' for a while as my eldest is only nine.

I couldn't wait to leave home at 18 and chose a university as far away as possible without falling into the sea!! (Aberystwyth)