Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Forwarding Emails

Beau

Okay, I finally cracked this morning! I have quite a few contacts who insist on forwarding on every single funny, sad, thought provoking, scaremongering etc. email imaginable. They never think about whether I might find them funny, sad, thought provoking etc but just click on forward willy nilly. My inbox gets clogged up with them so that I can no longer see which emails are actually important and need a response, and which ones are basically a load of rubbish that needs weeding out! It takes up time and energy that I could be spending on important things!!

So, in desperation I tried to find the right words to explain why I didn't want them forwarded on any longer and found this. My contacts are probably offended that I have sent this link to them, but perhaps I might have some peace in my inbox for a short time. xD

Thanks for listening to my rant! :o

Lets hope they read it and take onboard the advice. I particulary dont like my email being sent around the four corners of the world attached to some random load of drivel.

Hear hear. I particularly hate those round robin chajn letter things and never send them on. I always delete, so no doubt I am persona non grata with a few people, but there you go. My friends will accept my choices. I love the link and will use it if I need to. Thanks

Well. Let's take a deep breath here... :(

I could easily stick this in Cait's thread about things that make your blood boil but yes I do get irritated by people who just forward any old rubbish to everyone in the world rather than thinking about what might be especially interesting or amusing to an individual. I particularly dislike the scaremongering ones because most of the time they're not true.

The ones that really annoy me are people who forward the latest warning about some virus or other without checking it to see whether its real or not. So then I have to check it out and reply to them (and the whole of their address book) giving them the link to the website showing it is a fake warning and asking them to check for themselves before sending me an email! That tends to make me a little unpopular! :(

I have a small group of friends who I share the odd email joke with, but usually on subjects I know we're all interested in. One of the friends used to get a bit miffed until I sent her the (forwarded) email about how forwarding a funny joke or a picture was my way of showing them that I think about them when we're not together and hoping to bring a bit of laughter into their lives. It made all the difference! I'll try and find it and send it to you Beau! xD

Good tips on the link you gave - especially the one about stripping out all the extraneous characters and of course everyone's email addresses which is another pet hate of mine. :( I once had a major email-based temper tantrum with the Pre-school Learning Alliance who sent me and about fifty people an email with all our addresses clearly visible. How could an organisation that preaches about settings maintaining confidentiality be so casual about preserving mine? I believe that was the last time I had an email from them, now that I think of it...

Sorry - I've gone off on one again haven't I? :o

Maz

I'm glad I'm not the only one then! xD

I did get a reply back from one person apologising if any of the emails they had sent me had offended me. Not offended at all, just irked beyond belief! Especially since the one that broke the camels back was sent by them, having been forwarded on to them by a shared contact who had also forwarded it to me as well. :(

Anyway, I am feeling much calmer now. :o

Thank you - that could certainly come in useful!!!

I have to confess that with some of the awful chain ones I have emailed back saying things like "why did you think I wanted to know that" or "I don't really understand - could you clarify?" or "I was obviously out of the room when the sense of humour required to find that funny was being given out"!!!

Naughty I know - but it does slow my 'friends' down a little!

That said, of course you do receive some that really brighten your day - I always thank the sender in that case and yes I do sometimes forward them!

Sunnyday

I have to confess that with some of the awful chain ones I have emailed back saying things like "why did you think I wanted to know that" or "I don't really understand - could you clarify?" or "I was obviously out of the room when the sense of humour required to find that funny was being given out"!!!

I forgot to mention :o I was so incensed by one email I received which I considered to be so racist and offensive (by an early years practitioner, I might add) that I forwarded it to my MP! I'm not sure what I expected her to do about it but I did feel better!

xD Angry of Tonbridge Wells

I forgot to mention :o I was so incensed by one email I received which I considered to be so racist and offensive (by an early years practitioner, I might add) that I forwarded it to my MP! I'm not sure what I expected her to do about it but I did feel better!

:( Angry of Tonbridge Wells

So angry that you don't know your Tonbridge from your Tunbridge Wells. :( (I used to live just down the road from there. :( )

Yes, some of the ones I get are really not in good taste and others downright offensive. Why on earth anyone who knows me would think I would appreciate something like that is beyond me! xD

sunnyday, I do enjoy some of them, but the vast majority are rubbish or ones that I have seen time and time again. There are some that have been circulating for years and we have had an email address for 13 years now.........! That adds up to a lot of rubbish in my inbox. :wacko:

So angry that you don't know your Tonbridge from your Tunbridge Wells. xD (I used to live just down the road from there. :o )

It's a good job I like you Beau! :(

I agree with you about how the old things circulate for years and years. I wonder if people forward them because they think they're new (and real?).

I have been shocked at some people who I thought I knew quite well and who should know me well enough that I would not be interested in signing an online petition which is based on widely sweeping generalisations using the foulest language. You may be unlucky enough to know what I'm talking about. Do these people know so little about me as to think I would compromise my beliefs in this way or do they think I am such a hypocrite? :(

You've opened up an enormous can of electronic worms here Beau!

Miffed of Maidenhead