Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help ....... I'm Pulling My Hair Out!

cei

I am at a loss!

My deputyattended a 'Moving On' training day where we were introduced to an eleven page document which we have to fill in for the reception teachers showing where the children are at. Great we all thought .............. more paperwork. So over the last few weeks we have all been filling in the folders ready for the end of July. So what is she moaning about I hear you cry?

Well I had a meeting with our reception teacher and she has just informed me that she doesn't want the folders. Jaw dropped, big sigh, and a why uttered from my lips. Far too long she said. So I had to break the news to my staff today. All their hard work, not to say free time given up and now all that is required is a short summary as to what the child can do.

If only our advisors could talk to reception teachers before they create more paperwork for us, don't you agree!

If only our advisors could talk to reception teachers before they create more paperwork for us, don't you agree!

Oh my! xD What a blow. Are you going to feed this information back to your advisor to let him/her know? It seems to me they've got the old left hand/right hand problem. It makes you want to spit, doesn't it? :o

The one upside is that I'll bet your parents will love these dossiers telling them all about their children's progress!

Chin up!

Maz

Oh cei - that's just not funny. How frustrating for you - hope you have spoken to your jolly course tutors, mind you it may be that other Primary schools in your area would welcome these folders.

Big sigh for you

Sunnyday

Guest MaryEMac

Our reception teacher went to the 'Moving On' course and she didn't like the booklets either. Because we didn't get these folders until the end of Feb. we had already started another form of assessment records. Our advisor said that it was up to us but we could continue with whay we had started for this year and start the new booklets from Sept. She then produced a 2 page sheet which has the six areas of learning so that we can summarise where the children are and this can be passed to school.

I have a feeling that the rec teacher would prefer this every year rather than the big booklet. I do feel that the county should have got it's act together and produced these booklets last Sept before groups had bought other means of recording children's achievements, don't you?

Mary

Well I am waiting for the reception teacher to get back to us on what they want us to do. When I spoke to her she said that all they need to know is 1) Will child leave parent ok 2) Can they go to the toilet by themselves 3) Can they get dressed/ undressed and 4) Is there a particular area where they are very interested i.e. very creative, love to count, etc.

We are now thinking that we will just complete a one page summary sheet for the school but I don't know how to tell our advisor (not the most approachable)! But we keep smiling cause at the end of the day we love our jobs, working with the children, just not all the writing.

In Kent, we have had the Record of Transfer in the past which had all six areas in which we could comment upon a child's progress when they transferred to primary, we also indicated which colour band they were "working" in and we could give a personal comment as well. With the change to EYFS, Kent have had a re-think and have designed a different Record of Transfer entirely. Now all we need indicate for each child is their name, age and what age group we plan activities for them and hopefully parents will hand over their learning journey folders to the Reception staff.

This is the basic requirement. If groups wish they can do a report alongside as long as parents have a copy and agree for it to be sent to the primary school. Many pre-schools were unhappy with the basic requirements when the training took place.

Our LA files are enormous too, in fact the reception teacher I attended the moving on course with, couldn't get over the amount fo work we're expected to do. She said they'd not be much use to them as they're just too big and they would do their own assessment of the children as they arrive anyway - different environment/people/routine.

My EYFSA is still insisting we do these but we've not had time to start them yet.

Sam

We had a meeting with our EYSFA after the moving on meeting with another nursery and she was most insistent that we fill them in but, it does seem ridiculous when the reception teachers don't want them. As our reception teacher said "who has got time to read 30 x 11 page books" I am wondering whether to just fill in a summary sheet with the six learning areas on it just summarising where they are at in each area.

It just seems that they have introduced all these new ideas since September but all the settings we have spoken to are confused as to what they are meant to be doing.