Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Appraisals

HappyMaz

I just have a query which I would like to raise in the hope that someone can tell me if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill...

MrsWeasley's assessor has asked to be present at her forthcoming appraisal as an observer. I'm not clear about what criteria/standards she is hoping to assess against, but I feel very uncomfortable about an outsider sitting in on the appraisal. The assessor hasn't spoken to me directly about it, so I haven't had the chance to speak to her. So before I do this, I need to know whether this is standard practice? Have any of you been through this process and did you find it useful? Are there other ways of assessing the candidate rather than sitting in on something which is after all personal as well as professional?

Maz

Oh no Maz you are certainly not 'making a mountain etc.etc.' - I have never heard of this before and know that I wouldn't be comfortable about that situation. Staff appraisals should be, in my opinion, completely private and confidential - I don't even understand why her assessor would want to be there.

I would, however, if Mrs Weasley is comfortable about this, maybe discuss the appraisal (results) with the assessor.

Will be interesting to see if anyone else has been asked to allow this.

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

I have never been asked that question in all the years have worked with assessors and learners..

I would assume she has asked Mrs Weasley permission to sit in? But not asked you? Mrs Weasleys reply?

personally I would ask what she is hoping to cover by doing so.. which criteria will it be relevant for before making an informed decision..

I think I would reply that as part of professional development it is confidential between the setting and staff, having someone there could inhibit the learner , and if Mrs Weasley or anyone for that matter is willing the paperwork could be viewed afterwards to be included as evidence.

I have had learners include copies of the paperwork as evidence and a statement from me, perhaps you could suggest this.. it is not unusual to have witness statements or whatever the current term is...

Personally I would not feel comfortable with her present, so what about the learner..

Inge

Cant help you there Maz, although I can say that both as a student and an employee, I dont think I would like it. She is there to assess a student for the purpose of the ensuring Mrs Weasley has the knowledge required to competantly complete NVQ level 3 and is able to put it into practice. I simply cannot see how her assessor attending this appraisal would cover anything in the performance criteria or knowledge points, but then again I'm not an assessor.

I can tell you this certainly hasn't been suggested with any of the students attending the same course as me.

Its bugging me now as I feel it is an invasion of privacy and also possibly a bit intimidating for both the student and employer!!

Will go before I start ranting cause I have a funny feeling I could go on for a while!!

As an assessor I would never dream of compromising a private appraisal in this way. The appraisal has absolutely nothing to do with an assessor. If MrsWeasley wants to use the feedback as evidence against a standard, then fine, but otherwise it's a big No, sorry.

If she wants to see a 'mock up' appraisal, how MrsWeasley interacts with staff and responds to feedback from supervisory staff then that could possibly be done if everyone's willing, but I really don't see what could be gained from it that could come from a discussion with you as her supervisor

I agree I would not not want to be in on an appraisal, that is a confidential matter between the setting and its member of staff.

Generally I ask my candidiates to write a reflective account of their appraisal, what they thought about when preparing for it (some settings are well planned for this, and give out questionaires, others seem to be more ad hoc). To think of their strengths, weaknesses, what they have learnt, improved, achieved, and where they could improve, and then how they could achieve that, through identifying suitable training, visiting other settings etc.

In the past we have used witness accounts as well, (they weren't popular with settings - extra workload, so we only use them in extreme circumstances now), if you want feedback from the setting, that might be the way to get it.

Edited by Guest

I too have had this request (via my staff member) and advised her to respond in the negative!! Like many of you I cannot see what 'evidence' would be gained that could not be gained in some other way (I like the reflective account idea!!)

The assessor also asked to sit in on a staff meeting and I refused that also!

I have not heard of this before either and don't really see why it is necessary.

What? MrsWeasley having a serious conversation with her mother? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)