Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Physical Sessions

Hi everybody

We currently spend the last 20 minutes-ish- of each session with all the children together-about 26- doing what we call our activity session. But I am bored with what we do and wondered if anybody had any activities that they have found the children enjoyed-ours are aged between 2 years 9 months and 4.

The activities at present are:

parachute games

mini-gym-trampoline, tunnels, balancing equipment etc.

band-with made or bought instruments

beanbags, balls, hoops etc.

Sticky Kids

Occasionally dance-but not got a great many ideas for this

Rhythm sticks

Action songs and rhymes

It does tend to be a more physical type of session and I am feeling very uninspired at the moment. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks

Linda

Re. - dance - we have had great fun with our children with those good old disco classics - Y.M.C.A., Agadoo (sp?) etc.etc.

- you may not feel that this is appropriate - but the children have just loved it!!!

Sunnyday

Guest Wolfie
but the children have just loved it!!!

...which is what you want because once you have a child motivated to take part and learn........ :o

No Sunnyday that's the sort of thing we need just to add a bit of variety. I must admit we tend to keep them mostly for parties but there is no reason we can't use the songs for a bit of disco dancing-it all gets them moving around.

Thanks

Linda

I saw a group recently who are teaching their children to do ballroom dancing, too! And when the music from swan lake came on, the children spontaneously started doing the dance of the dying swan most theatrically, although before long were resurrected and jigging along to Mambo Number 5!

Clearly the adults had done well in demonstrating and showing the steps, but the children had definitely taken it from there!

Maz

Ours constantly asked for the 'disco' songs... Superman, was a fave and fast food song, twist, locomotion, and circle song time, like mulberry bush, ring a roses, elephant on a web etc.

We also used to just give them the parachute and walk away.. they all became very good at organising themselves into a 'team' who was leading, and playing games... found they began to make up their own games too

with May day coming has to be maypole dancing..and morris dancing (skipping with bells and scarves will do.)

Inge

How about acting out the childrens favourite stories through movements!

For example: Were going on a bear hunt - Lifting legs high. bending low,

large sweeping movements or little movements etc xx

How about yoga, I have just got the yoga pretzel cards from Amazon and the children all choose a pose to do.

Also ours love dancing to Mama Mia at the moment....we put it on and chaos ensues!! :(:oxD:(:(

I used to play musical statues and musical bumps. I also had a CD of music from around the world and I mostly used that for listening to the music and moving with it, fast slow, stop the Russian one was great for that.

I also used to get them to copy me, can you walk backwards, sideways, shuffle, dolly steps. Races too but they had to listen because I'd shout stop before they were across the room, then walk, hop etc. or sometimes they had to watch me because I'd hold up a piece of card green for run, red for stop.

How about yoga, I have just got the yoga pretzel cards from Amazon and the children all choose a pose to do.

Also ours love dancing to Mama Mia at the moment....we put it on and chaos ensues!! :(:oxD:(:(

Aaaagh if I hear 'Mamma Mia' one more time I think I might scream!!!

I have always been an ABBA fan - but I have two little girls who are completely obsessed - it was funny to start with!!!

I have even found myself saying "yes, thank you we are not actually singing at the moment" - what a terrible thing to say - but it is driving me slowly mad!!!

Sunnyday

Aaaagh if I hear 'Mamma Mia' one more time I think I might scream!!!

I have always been an ABBA fan - but I have two little girls who are completely obsessed - it was funny to start with!!!

I have even found myself saying "yes, thank you we are not actually singing at the moment" - what a terrible thing to say - but it is driving me slowly mad!!!

Sunnyday

We also have a little girl thats aways asking for it to be played, then she tries to round up all the staff to dance, if you say you dont know the dance she tell you to copy her.

The child will go up to her and say sing Mamma Mia to me which she loves doing

Rosemarie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)