Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observations

just wondering if anyone has any info about helping team members on child observations. I'm particularly looking for observation prompts. a sheet with key words to help gain useful observations/info rather than "Johny enjoyed painting".

observations are so vital yet i find some people find them quiet difficult to do.

Have they had any NVQ or other training at all? How about you sit with them and you write your observation of the same thing they are doing and compare notes afterwards? I find this a really useful tool. We also use laevers scale for well being and involvement which helps with some prompts

Not quite sure where I found this but I have it up on my wall

Key Observations to make during child led/initiated play:

Choosing resources

making relationships with adults or children

discover problems or persist with difficulties

notice how things work

try to make changes in the learning environment

develop new skills and use them in their play

show satisfaction with their achievements

Hi Jeanine

Do you use 'continuous provision' sheets - there are some great ones on here - do a 'forum search' (if Cait reads that I am in big trouble - she has sent me instructions on how to provide a link!!!)

They can provide 'prompts' for less experienced staff

Hope that helps

Sunnyday

I just jotted down a few key words, so thought i would share them.

oh yeh thanks, forgot to use continuous provisions.

after our session we have like 5 min to quickly brain storm and jot down our observations and I'm finding they haven't been in depth or useful. so i thought having key words that staff can glance at may trigger good observations.

thanks

observation_prompts.doc

Hi Jeanine

Do you use 'continuous provision' sheets - there are some great ones on here - do a 'forum search' (if Cait reads that I am in big trouble - she has sent me instructions on how to provide a link!!!)

Sunnyday

Hmm, so where's the link sunnyday?

Observation methods

Nor does this one. And I have no idea why, sorry xD

If you hover over the link you have provided, it is showing that it links to a file on your desktop (probably a shortcut that you have created on your computer).

Find the shortcut on your desktop, right-click on it and select "Properties". On the "Web Document" tab you will find the actual URL for the website there. Provide that as your link rather than linking to the icon on your computer.

Hope that helps... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)