Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Epipen Training

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me with where to go for epipen training? We have a child who has a severe nut allergy about to start at our setting. The GP, Health visitor, school nurse, portage and the early years and education department will NOT train staff!! The GP will only train the relatives. The only place we can get any training is the Consultant at the Hospital but they want £100 for doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It used to be the Early Years department but they have said they dont do it anymore due to insurance issues!!

A collegue phoned his GP friend to ask for advice and she said there is no way around it as she (the GP) had to pay for training the staff at her daughters nursery!!!!) Well not all parents can afford to pay for staff training and not all settings can afford to pay their own!

This is really getting up my nose!! So if anyone has any advice or can share their experiences.....

Jenni

Hi Jenni

We have an 'epipen user' and we all received training - by all I mean mum and pre-school staff from a 'community nurse' - mum 'set this up' with help from her GP. There was absolutely no charge for this at all.

Hope you can get this sorted out soon it is such important training, well you clearly don't need me to tell you that!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

I had my training through St Johns Ambulance. My boss paid for someone to come in and 6 of us did the training - so didn't work out too expensive for each person.

the mum of our child arranged for a nurse from the hospital to come no charge, bu then the parent wasnt happy with the training!

again, mum and gp arranged for school nurse to come in and do the training.. she also offered training on lots of other things while she was with us, discussing asthma etc, and offered to come in to do more if we wanted, she even left us with a care plan which we could use and pass onto school.

Same when we had a diabetic in the setting.

Inge

I think you may want to check your advice on epi pen training as I understood that, Epi pen training is personal to each child, training on a first aid course does not cover you to use it. You have to be trained for each individual child. Unless the policy has changed recently I think this still stands. But could be wrong as these things seem to change with the wind.....

We had also had issues with getting someone to come and do our training. Speak to your SENCO and you will be surprised how quick it becomes sorted. Our Local Nurse Practitoner at the surgery came and showed and spent some considerable time with all the staff.

Hope this helps

We had the school nurse come in and train us - again no charge to us either. However this was in 2005 but technique hasn't changed since then as Mum was issued with one and the technique Mum was shown was same as I used.

Not wishing to scare, but how do you stand liability wise if the child in the meantime has cause for it and training has been denied to you? Will you accept the child without the training? I wasn't allowed on a school residential (as a member of staff) with my allergy unless I had seen my GP and an epipen was given to me or a letter to say I didn't need one.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I have always understood that epi training had to be 'tailored' for each child. Allstaff had training for one child and whilst they were still with us (only last year) we had to get more done for another child. Like everyone else all our training was done by a community nurse and arranged by a parentvia their GP, as far as I know it is the parents responsibility to arrange this.

I work in a school but our SENCO arranged with the school nurse to come in and train all of FS staff to use the epipen for a child in my class - i wasnt aware of them charging for this - I too think it needs to be training for each child as we spoke about the child in question during the training and the specifics of her allergy.

I had a child who during their time was prescribed an Epipen I told the parent that until the staff had recieved training she would have to attend the sessions I know my local authority say settings must be trained before accepting children who need epipen

I went to my local health center explained what we needed and they gave me a phone number after several phone calls to get the the right department the local comunity nurse arranged to come out to the setting and trained the staff the nurse came out free of charge the parents attended this training and where very grateful as they had only been given very brief training and it had not sunk in the parents had loads of questions for the nurse and where very happy we took the time to help them get more information

ask you local doctors for the number for the community nurse they come out fairly prompt as well

most first aid courses show epipen but unless its written on the certificate it doesnt count its just awareness (I did my first aid this week and got thumped in the leg with the dummy pen!)

sunnyday,

in answer to your question, the parent wont ever be happy no matter what we do, on another thread some time ago I discussed the same parent whose son has an egg allergy and she wanted us to give him birthday cake which contained egg. There will always be at least one parent who challenges whatever you try to do!

sunnyday,

in answer to your question, the parent wont ever be happy no matter what we do, on another thread some time ago I discussed the same parent whose son has an egg allergy and she wanted us to give him birthday cake which contained egg. There will always be at least one parent who challenges whatever you try to do!

Poor you - we all get one like that from time to time!

Is he going to Primary School this year? - Heres hoping for your sake!!!

Sunnyday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)