Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play

Hi,

I would like some advice on using the role play area with young children.

I work in a setting with children ranging from 2.4yrs to 5. We have very small classrooms so set up our roleplay areas in the communal playroom and outdoor area. We tend to plan areas to support our theme. We try to involve the children in planning and creating the resources which seems to work well with the older children.

The problem is with the 2-3's. Whilst the teachers see the benefit of using the area with the children, they seem to just trash it. Because we link it to the theme they also don't understand the resourses or how to play with them.

Any advice, suggestions or comments would be welcome.

I firmly believe that role-play is sooooo important.

We don't 'link to a theme' - ours is just very well equiped with all the usual resources - the children are free to use however they would like to - often a theme develops and we then add more useful resources to support their ideas.

Our role-play area gets very, very untidy but that doesn't bother me at all - I just see that as further evidence that the children are using and enjoying the area - all children help to tidy too.

Hope that helps

Sunnyday

I firmly believe that role-play is sooooo important.

We don't 'link to a theme' - ours is just very well equiped with all the usual resources - the children are free to use however they would like to - often a theme develops and we then add more useful resources to support their ideas.

Our role-play area gets very, very untidy but that doesn't bother me at all - I just see that as further evidence that the children are using and enjoying the area - all children help to tidy too.

Hope that helps

Sunnyday

I always think it is reassuring to hear that other settings role play areas get very untidy during the session, do you just tidy up at the end or are you continually picking things up throughout the morning. I think I still worry about the untidiness (sp) too much. mrsW

I always think it is reassuring to hear that other settings role play areas get very untidy during the session, do you just tidy up at the end or are you continually picking things up throughout the morning. I think I still worry about the untidiness (sp) too much. mrsW

Um - bit of both really - I pick up things that may be a 'trip hazard' as I go along but otherwise we all tidy before we go out to play (sadly unable to provide free-flow so all go out together).

Sunnyday

Thx,

Do you think it's better to stick with roleplay situations they are familiar with like home, shop, restaurant for the younger children?

Unforunately we are really short of space and witha ratio of 1-12 it's difficult to manage, it's not that the area is messy, it's more that resources the children have made themselves are being broken. We recently had some very upset 4 year olds over soem homemade pirate hats.

Thx,

Do you think it's better to stick with roleplay situations they are familiar with like home, shop, restaurant for the younger children?

Unforunately we are really short of space and witha ratio of 1-12 it's difficult to manage, it's not that the area is messy, it's more that resources the children have made themselves are being broken. We recently had some very upset 4 year olds over soem homemade pirate hats.

Yes that's what I would do.

1 - 12 CRIKEY!!!

Sunnyday

[/quo

I was just going to reply saying the same thing, then I read your post!

Do you mean ratios of 1:12 with children aged 2 1/2 to 5? Surely not???

We have a mixed age group and follow the children's lead more and more as the year goes on; our role plays range from an aeroplane with ticket office to post office, hospital/vets, babies, house, at the moment its a supermarket with instore chocolate bakery!

It can get messy but the children know they need to help tidy it up ready for the afternoon children or so that it's ready for the morning children. I think encouraging them to choose what we have and make their own signs etc has made them much more aware of treating resources better and the older ones show a good example to the little ones.

anything precious is put out of little ones reach if the bigger children request it; to be honest its more a case of observing if something takes someones eye, that isn't theirs, and inviting them to make one too. We had the pirate phase too and had all sorts of different homemade hats/cloaks/ telescopes.

Sam

I think there are staff who find the role play area a "MESS" but its only a mess to them or to us as an adult!!

I have never heard a child say they couldn't play in there because it was too messy!

Maybe you are expecting the younger ones to play in a way older than they are???

I appreciate if space is tight you are limited but I bet everyone would say their role play gets in a BIG mess everyday!!!!!!!!

Maybe those who don't have a mess aren't actually letting the children play their way!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes unfortunately, althought we follow the EYFS, we are not in the UK so regulations are very different.

All our classes have a ratio of 1-12 from 2.4 yrs which i guess is half the problem. Out of interest what are the raio's in the UK?

hi i was al;so going to say that our role play area is constantly messy - we too only pick up any trip hazards and the rest is tidied with the children prior to snack time (dont have rolling snack-didnt work for us

i work with children aged between 2years 9 months and 4 yrs 11 months - our ratio is 1:6 - i dont know how you do it with 1;12 ratio - must be exhausting

Hi SJW,

In my setting we have children from 2 yrs 6 months upto age 5.

The government requirements state that our ratio for 2 to 3 year olds must be 1:4 and for our 3 to 5 year olds it must be 1:8.

Yes unfortunately, althought we follow the EYFS, we are not in the UK so regulations are very different.

All our classes have a ratio of 1-12 from 2.4 yrs which i guess is half the problem.

How awful for you. But surely if you follow the EYFS, you also follow the welfare requirements? Or do you mean you just follow certain aspects?

I couldn't imagine working with a ratio of 1:12; am already slightly concerned about the rumour settings with EYPS will be expected to work to ratios of 1:13 (I'll be off if that happens! :o )

How awful for you. But surely if you follow the EYFS, you also follow the welfare requirements? Or do you mean you just follow certain aspects?

I couldn't imagine working with a ratio of 1:12; am already slightly concerned about the rumour settings with EYPS will be expected to work to ratios of 1:13 (I'll be off if that happens! :o )

And I would be right behind you!!!

Sunnyday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)