Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Biten Child

If a child bites another child, is it a breach of confidently to tell the bitten child parents, who bit their child ?

Can I have your opinions please

At the moment we do and both sets of parents sign a incident sheet

The children tell the parents anyway - you don't need to! :o

Indeed - but that isn't always reliable either. I've known a few children who have said their 'attacker' was a child who wasn't in the setting that day!

We don't identify who has bitten/pushed/kicked or whatever and if asked would say that it is our policy not to name children in this way.

Maz

Guest Wolfie

No, we don't tell parents the name of the child who has bitten - or caused any kind of injury - either.

And Maz is right, the injured child doesn't always get it right, they sometimes say the name of the child...or adult...who was "first on the scene" or comforted them!

Just curious, but what made you think it might be a breach of confidentiality?

Because telling one parent about what another parent's child had done during the session breaches that child's and that family's confidentiality. Especially if, given the timing of the conversations, the parent whose child was bitten knew that the other parent's child had bitten a child before they did.

Can you imagine parent A confronting parent B in the playground/carpark when parent B had absolutely no idea what parent A was talking about? I wouldn't have liked to have found out about any of your misdemeanours in this way! :o

Maz

"I know WHY it's a breach of confidentiality - I just wondered if something had happened to make rosyposy question her current way of dealing with such incidents !"

We have a new member of staff and the new staff induction includes them reading the policies, after doing this she questioned the current procedure.

So...... I came here...... knowing I would receive good advice/knowledge

Thanks very much everyone, I will change procedure tomorrow

I know WHY it's a breach of confidentiality - I just wondered if something had happened to make rosyposy question her current way of dealing with such incidents !

Ooh sorry! :o

Just curious, but what made you think it might be a breach of confidentiality?

Maybe ask the question 'Why does the parent (of the victim) need to know who the biter was?'... For what purpose would this knowledge be useful to the parent?

Same goes that the biters parent doesn't need to know who the victim was. In these events I would always think of my positive behaviour management policy...incidents are dealt with 'at the time of the event', and not later, therefore parents don't need to know identities. A negative impact of 'sharing' detailsof identity of the biter is that the parent may perceive that you have 'labelled' a particular child as a biter, and we all know that all children have the potential to bite don't we? :o

Breach of confidentiality would be that if you told parents the identity of the biter (or victim) you are sharing information about an individual that is not relevant for the parent to know. The information is for example about a particular individual childs' social development, you wouldn't share information about the childrens' other developmental needs/levels etc, so shouldn't share (with non parent) about this either.

To allay parents anxiety you can explain that the setting dealt with the incident by.............followed positive behaviour management policy by.................give advice about how the parent can support their child in either not biting or how to cope if the victim of a biter. You can explain the strategies you use and would like the parents to follow to both parents without giving identity details as this will enable parents to understand how the setting supports both the childrens developmental needs.

Hope this makes sense. xD

Peggy

my long post (in between getting youngest ready for bed :o ) missed a few other comments. xD

Peggy

and I must say, very observant/reflective? of you Mrs Weasley to come up with your question. :(