Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chair As Supervisor

Not unless she has at least a L3 herself. I think Ofsted woud say that the member of staff with the L3 should be acting supervisor. Also unless the constitution says otherwise (and most of ours dont) you cannot have a paid member of staff serving on committee (I know it's talking abotthe other way round but end result is the same) Although the PSLA have changed their constitution to allow staff members to sit on the committee, I think it states quite clearly that these cannot be officers. So in a nutshell (instead of all tis waffle!!) No.

as said.. no,

has to be level 3 to run / supervise a session, with a deputy also of level 3 ..so she could not be supervisor. even with 2 other level 3, they would have to be supervisor and deputy, never mind the first aid etc needed.)

as said also a constitution issue, even if they have adopted the new PLA one, our committee understood that officers would not be paid , but could be volunteers, and they also felt that supervisor / manager on committee may raise a few issues too.

while having overall responsibility for the group the committee have to employ the staff suitable for the position..

I assume she has decided to do this, and if so should have sent off her forms to big O for becoming suitable person to be in charge of day to day management.. which would need her to declare her qualifications, fill in medical form etc etc... think she is doing this wiothout telling big O or assuming as she has been cleared as chair this gives he automatic rights to run the sessions?

no wonder you decided to leave.. but must be awful seeing it all go backwards after such hard work.. hope you take everything which belongs to you including any paperwork etc...

I must admit when I left recently a lot of the paperwork I left behind I was in a format they could not change and I put my name to it.. did not want anyone claiming my work as theirs. and I left knowing things were going well and should continue to do so..

Inge

Same from me - No way.

To be supervisor must have level 3 (not even working towards is good enough) - is the chair doing supervisor as voluntary she cannot be paid as all the other have said - as she cannot be officer, the idea of the new psla constitution was to get staff on the committee not get the committee on the staff.

What a nightmare, are you getting no support from your PDW (they must be fed up that an outstanding pre-school with an EYP is suddenly going to be run by an unqualified expert in her field).

How long is she really going to survive Hali, it takes someone very special to run a pre-school - let alone an outstanding one. Is this just a game to her....

I would not want to be mean, but could you tip off the big O on your last day of course. I think I would write to advise them I was leaving so my name was removed from their books and not part of this mess

sorry bit if a ramble, but basically no she cannot and seek guidance from big O and your lea - what about your local eyat are they not involved

Can a chairperson become supervisor if there is a level 3 staff member in building?????

Well they'd need a suitable person's interview so Ofsted would need to be involved at an early stage and would answer that question emphatically! :o

In the case of a private owner of a group who didn't have a Level 3 but wanted to run the group, I think they wouild still have to do the level 3 and have an acting supervisor in charge in the meantime. As others have said,, it depends on what the constitution says about volunteers being paid - but perhaps the Chair would be doing the job on a voluntary basis in which case that part of the dilemma might be resolved.

Maz

Our chair cannot be on staff...... so No she couldn't be supervisor.... our chair wanted to do a level 3 qualification and the college have told her she can't do it at the setting she is chair at..... she would have to do the work experience at a different setting, something to do with the funding!!!!!!

thanks girls thought i was going mad - well i could be at mo!!!!! xD

chair has said shes been 5 weeks grace to find a supervisor - otherwise closure!!!! ( funny she hasnt told them ive already been gone 5 weeks!!!!!) Deputy was ringing Ofsted today - so will send your comments to her!!!! :o

Our chair cannot be on staff...... so No she couldn't be supervisor.... our chair wanted to do a level 3 qualification and the college have told her she can't do it at the setting she is chair at..... she would have to do the work experience at a different setting, something to do with the funding!!!!!!

Just thinking about this from another angle though - if I was a chair of a committee and we lost our supervisor it would be daft for me not to step in and take over the supervisor's role whilst we appointed another, given that I have the necessary qualifications. And if being on the committee was a bar, then I could apply for the role when it was advertised if I wanted to take on the job permanently.

However, obviously my motivation would be of the purest kind. :o I think any Chair who took on the supervisor's role in any capacity would open the committee up to a claim of 'constructive dismissal' because the previous supervisor might well claim with some conviction that the committee had made life difficult for her to carry on in her post so that the Chair could be installed in her place.

Tricky situation all round, I'd say!

Maz

chair has said shes been 5 weeks grace to find a supervisor - otherwise closure!!!! Deputy was ringing Ofsted today - so will send your comments to her!!!! xD

Should I apply then hali? :o

Hi 1st post so be gentle.

Its entirely at OFSTEDS discretion. Our former leader was only a level 2 when she took over the role(previous leader left). OFSTED were happy for her to take the role whilst working towards a level 3 as long as we had a level 3 deputy.

Committee can be in a paid role aslong as it can be shown that is the best/only option for the group.

Hi 1st post so be gentle.

Its entirely at OFSTEDS discretion.

Welcome to the Forum Jeany - congratulations on your first post! We always try to be gentle! xD

I think Ofsted were generally happy if a non-qualified supervisor is supported by a qualified colleague is there to support her whilst she gains a qualification - otherwise many groups would close each year - when I took over as Supervisor I hadn't finished my level three, but the deputy was qualified so Ofsted were quite happy. However with the advent of the EYFS I'm not sure whether this is the case nowadays - certainly people on here from different local authorities have been given conflicting advice! :o

Maz

It's my understanding that paid staff can be on the committee as long as they are not paid for committee work - that's a voluntary role

Depends on each group's constitution, I'd have thought - but if this is the case then there would need to be restrictions on what the committee member could discuss/make decisions about. Otherwise there would be a complete conflict of interests - imagine if a paid member of staff was able to vote on pay rises etc!

Maz

Hi

very confused about whats going on BUT......

as this was something we were also looking at ie if staff could go on committee (other way round to your situation HAli) then they can according to the new PLA constitution of 2008 BUT that constitution first has to be accepted by the committee and staff are not allowed to hold the officer roles ie chair, treasurer or secretary. Anyway being sensible here a chair to be supervisor :o that would have to be a definite conflict of interest :( sp surey would not be allowed by the PLA

Now, if only i could figure out what was going on with you :(xD