Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Aspartame Poisoning

Cait

I have avoided products with aspartame in them for quite some time now. It is found in most soft drinks, even those that are NOT sugar free or diet drinks-Robinsons are one of the main culprits for this. It's in sugar free chewing gum and a whole host of other products.

It's reputedly an evil substance-so I think it's one of those to avoid where possible. I check the labels on eveything when I shop for aspartame and hydrogenated fats.

Linda

And I avoid it too. It is a known poison and yet it is promoted in this country. The studies in America were falsified to show it is safe. I refuse to give any of the sugar free products to children in my care.

My son has had severe migraine triggered by this product---and has epilepsy for which we have no known cause but his migraines developed first and both are linked neurological conditions.

I know that sugar will make me fat and rot my teeth but that's preferable to being poisoned in my opinion.

One of my Cubs has Aspartame listed as an allergy. Astonishly the only suitable squash we found when shopping for camp was Tesco value.

Al

I too have avoided aspartame for some time now, years in fact. It's nice to see others who share my opinion. It's even in some yoghurts and crisps! Absolutely no need for it, give me a spoonful of sugar any day!

Playplayplay

I avoid all artificial sweeteners as much as possible. I don't use sugar very much but I'm sure that sugar is less of a problem than artificial sweeteners. A paediatrician once told me that he recommended avoiding sugar-free medicines for children, not only for the problems with sweeteners, but also because the important thing was that the children took the medicine, and they weren't likely to be on it long enough to do any damage.

How very interesting!

Our GP, and the Immunologist he referred our daughter to, both told us to avoid ANYTHING containing artificial sweeteners (and the Pharmacist himself never gives "sugarfree" versions of medicines)

My daughter has had fewer allergic reactions since we've removed them from her diet and I provide an "additive-free" diet for all the children I care for.

My Network co-ordinaotr and Ofsted Inspector both comment on how relaxed and well-behaved the children are - I've had far fewer toddler tantrums to deal with in the 3 years we've followed this approach and parents themselves have seen the difference if they've then allowed their children to have these things at home.

When explaining their effect to our daughter the Immunologist referred to them as "poison" and told her that even a bite of chocolate or sip of diet drink is as poisonous as eating/drinking the whole thing.

Something for us all to think about :o

Nona

I and my family have avoided Aspartame for many years, but I thought it was just a depressant I did not realise all the other health implications - thank you so much for sharing this I will certainly be sharing it with other practitioners and settings.

Thanks for this - Blimey! :o My sister is quite specific about the squashes we give to my neice and she had mentioned aspartame but I never knew all the issues surrounding it. I will make sure that I check labels more carefully in the future and spread the word.

Thanks again

I've tried not to buy things with Aspartame in for a long time, as i'd noticed that when my daughter had anything with it in, she felt sick, but I had no idea it could actually be so bad! :o

It's discusting that manufacturers can put a poison in things we eat and drink. It's amazing how many products contain Aspartame, I've found it's not as easy to avoid as you think, basically anything that contains sugar, could also contain Aspartame!!! xD

As I said in my first post please check ALL labels because it is NOT just sugar free items that contain this horrible stuff. I went to buy a bottle of lime juice last week, just the normal stuiff from Tesco's, and that contains aspartame.

I used to use sweeteners but found I was getting terrible headaches. I stopped the sweeteners and my headaches stopped.

Linda

This is really scary stuff! My 14 year old son has type 1 diabetes and so drinks a lot of "sugar free" / "no added sugar" drinks. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives, please?

Cait - thank you so much for this information.

A big thank you too to all who have shared their thoughts.

I have printed off Cait's original info. and the whole thread - hope that's OK with everyone - I am going to pass all this on to my dear daughter-in-law - she is a type one diabetic and is in quite poor health - I am concerned about just how much of this 'stuff' she may be consuming in her efforts to avoid sugar.

Again, many thanks

Sunnyday

Had a perusal in the squash/juice aisle in Asda's today and there's quite a few that are no sugar and no sweeteners, all the fizzy diet/sugar free dinks I saw all had aspartame and/or sucralose except for one organic brand called 'good earth' - I think. A friend of mine drinks Zevia and it's delicious but I think you can only buy it in Costco; it's an American brand but as she lives on a forces base, she can get it easily enough.

Karrie

On a lighter note - I thought hey - just the excuse I need to drink more gin!

Then I thought - oh no what about the tonic?!!!!

Looked at my sainsbury's own and it says 'we don't use benzoate preservatives or aspartame sweetener - this product is sweetened only with sugar - yippee!!!

Large G&T coming up!!!

Cheers!

Sunnyday

I was really shocked at this and googled aspartame - Wikipedia has this info (I know its not always reliable!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

they are saying that the m.s. / lupus connection was a hoax and there have been many tests carried out.

My boys will still be drinking milk, fruit juice or water tho'!