Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ive Got An Interview

Lucie

Ok so this is my first interview for an NQT post, im nervous, excited, terrified - the usual I think!

I want to do something that no-one else will do in my 15mins with the children (rec/yr1) but it has to be based around the very hungry caterpillar.

I've got some ideas but wondered what you thought/ what you would do.

I know we've all got the same book to work from so want it to be really impressive!!

Hope you can help, any ideas will be greatly appreciated, as will any tips for the formal interview!! :o

thanks.

lucie x

Hi there

We are doing lots of things on this lovely book just now. My pre-school children just adore any sort of memory games and I wondered if you could do something like that. For instance, you could have pictures or models of all the things he ate on Saturday and see if they can remember what they are, the order they come in, what they start with. Then see who can remember the most from memory. Use pairs of the pictures of the items for pelmenism (?) or Kim's game. What's missing. Arrange a Hungry Caterpillar treasure hunt. Just a few thoughts.

Another thing is to see if they can guess which item you are talking about from its description, and involve the children in doing the same.

Good luck with the interview.

How about they draw fruit on a paper plate and then use a hole punch round the edges and thread lovely thick green wool through their holes round the edges of the plate. (Mine did this and loved it!)

Good luck...I used the Hungry Caterpillar for an interview once, I had a group of children (preschool) first I read the story using a story sack thus involving the whole group (I laminated the fruit etc) the session went on for much longer than I planned with lots of cross-curricular learning, counting, healthy eating, growth, language etc etc....I then had some colouring sheets of the caterpillar and fruits and also a brilliant game and the children decided what to do to extend the story time, some coloured, some played the game and I scaffolded both activities but mainly let the children take me in all directions....it is a brilliant subject, the children will help you. they helped me and I got the job so I hope you do too!! :oxD:(

Oh I also took a touchy feely bag with the real fruit in as a back up......didn't need it but was a lovely reward on the way home for me!!

Oh and I typed up all the learning intentions on a planning sheet and left space to evaluate. Referred all of it the FOundation Stage....ooo I was keen!

Edited by Guest

Hi there. First well done on getting to the interview stage. There have been lots of discussions about interviews questions here so a search will bring up lost of ideas.

With your 15 minute session, I would bear in mind that 15 minutes isnt very long with a class you don't know. I wouldn't personally do an activity involving looking for things around the room with a class you don't know in a school you don't know (think about the logistics of setting it up?).

I would try and find out if the story is familiar to them, if its isnt then using the Shirel's storysack idea, introduce it to them. If it isnt, then how about using a puppet to retell the story badly, and get the children to correct you? Again the story sack with props (laminated if you can get the objects) can be used for this. Or using the same objects, get give out the different bits and get them to put themselevs into story telling order (how many in teh group, I wouldnt do this with a class of 30 but would with a group of say 10-15).

Having interviewed many times and asked candidates to etach, it isnt always the all singing all dancing that we look for. Yes we liike to see some imagination, but we also want tosee that you have considered the task, the time you have, the age of the children, have thought to ask sensible questions, are well prepared, are pleasnt with the chidlren, can manage their behaviour, appear confident (even if you are shaking in yer boots!). In short, dont over complicate it with things you may not have time for, or you may forget if nerves kick in.

Let us know what you decide and good luck with it

Having interviewed many times and asked candidates to etach, it isnt always the all singing all dancing that we look for. Yes we liike to see some imagination, but we also want tosee that you have considered the task, the time you have, the age of the children, have thought to ask sensible questions, are well prepared, are pleasnt with the chidlren, can manage their behaviour, appear confident (even if you are shaking in yer boots!). In short, dont over complicate it with things you may not have time for, or you may forget if nerves kick in.

What brilliant advice - useful for anyone asked to do a practical-type exercise as part of an interview! I'll bear that in mind should the need arise!

Maz

PS Lucie: good luck with the interview - let us know how it goes won't you? :o

Edited by HappyMaz

Super advice from Mundia!

From all the interviews we've had over the previous few years I would say that these things are what have been deemed important (our attached inspector was there for one set of interviews and observations).

-stating learning intention

-pace/timing

-appropriateness of activity for age

-behaviour management

-enthusiasm - tone of voice

-how you relate to the children - smile :o

-quality resources

-communication with and use of other adults

I'm sure there's other things but that's what comes to mind for now - a lot of these do cross over with Mundia's.

Thank you for all of the brilliant advice, i will let you know how i get on, and will also add any questions i get asked to help anyone else out. I feel more confident about the activity part than the actual interview because i can sometimes find it really hard to get my words out!!

I really like using puppets so will feel confident with that, i love mundia's idea of using it to retell the story badly - i can imagine that in my head!!

xxx

Good Luck - sure you'll sail through - just remember to enjoy doing what youre doing and you'll shine.

I loved Rufus's idea of creating btterflies outside. You could supply lots of chalk, paints, big, big paper etc and ask the children to create their very own beautiful butterfly. Could even supply fabrics etc in case anyone wanted to become a butterfly.

This is assuming that they know the story already. Maybe you could e-mail the school and check this info otherwise you're going to hard pressed and panicky with only 15 minutes!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Well ive been for the interview now. Just waiting to hear. I'm not too optimistic though because there was a lady who had done a GTP in reception and is now teaching reception full time in the NQT year so she has bags more experience. :o

The head did say that he thought that we could all do the job, but that they were looking for the best person to fit in with the team. So hey we'll wait and see!

lucie xx