Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Promotion

not really sure how this works. ill see if i get any replys. new to this forum. i own a small pre school. i have a deputy manager who runs the pre schol, i work every day but mainly do all the paper work, SO much of it. as she runs the preschool should i promote her to manager and if i do what am i...........

Couldn't you share the paperwork? She needs to take on some of it if she is to have any understanding of what being a Preschool Manager entails.

I'm sure you don't want to just be the 'Administrator' do you?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making your first post. I too am a Preschool Manager so I know where you are coming from as regards paperwork - I'm sitting with a load today. I have two deputies who job share and they do the paperwork for their key children, all the planning and assessments and observations etc

Hello luce

In one nursery I worked in the owners were in most days to do admin and the person in charge of the day to day running was known as the Operational Manager...

Campbells

Hi Luce, A warm welcome to the forum. xD

Are you on ratio? If you are then I'd keep it as you manager and colleague deputy manager. Agree to let her get involved in more paperwork relevant to the operational side of the setting, you have enough to do with the business side of paperwork. :o

I was an owner of a small preschool but not on ratio, therefore I had a 'manager' day to day running of setting and I was basically the 'owner', the 'boss', the 'one who must be obeyed', the 'lowest paid', or to most just 'Peggy' :(

Would your deputy expect a pay rise if promoted? Also are either of you going to gain EYPS, this may affect 'position titles' in the future.

Peggy

not really sure how this works. ill see if i get any replys. new to this forum. i own a small pre school. i have a deputy manager who runs the pre schol, i work every day but mainly do all the paper work, SO much of it. as she runs the preschool should i promote her to manager and if i do what am i...........

no i work at the pre school and the other16 hours i work at home. thankyou for replying so soon...

Couldn't you share the paperwork? She needs to take on some of it if she is to have any understanding of what being a Preschool Manager entails.

I'm sure you don't want to just be the 'Administrator' do you?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making your first post. I too am a Preschool Manager so I know where you are coming from as regards paperwork - I'm sitting with a load today. I have two deputies who job share and they do the paperwork for their key children, all the planning and assessments and observations etc

thanks for your reply,i am involved every day at pre school and then do most of the paper work too at home. i find it really hard to delgate so end up doing most of it myself...

Hello luce

In one nursery I worked in the owners were in most days to do admin and the person in charge of the day to day running was known as the Operational Manager...

Campbells

thannk you very much

Hi Luce, A warm welcome to the forum. xD

Are you on ratio? If you are then I'd keep it as you manager and colleague deputy manager. Agree to let her get involved in more paperwork relevant to the operational side of the setting, you have enough to do with the business side of paperwork. :o

I was an owner of a small preschool but not on ratio, therefore I had a 'manager' day to day running of setting and I was basically the 'owner', the 'boss', the 'one who must be obeyed', the 'lowest paid', or to most just 'Peggy' :(

Would your deputy expect a pay rise if promoted? Also are either of you going to gain EYPS, this may affect 'position titles' in the future.

Peggy

thank you for you answer, you are too right, the lowest paid but no one obeys, i just make the tea and buy the buscuits. . i am in ratio so good idea to keep as we are....

hello and welcome to the forum Luce - if you are there in ratios every day then you are the manager/owner :o

thankyou very much, i recieved so many replys, makes you realise how many people need support, i feel very fortunate to have joined. thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum! When I left as manager to a pre-school, the trustee's decided it was too much work for one person and now have a 'pre-school manager' and an 'Admin manager' The pre-school manager (or 'head of preschool', as she is sometimes referred to) is in daily running the sessions and the Admin Manager spends her time in the office sorting and dealing with the mountain of paperwork etc. (if they had done that for me, I might have stayed!!!! LOL!)

jx

thank you for you answer, you are too right, the lowest paid but no one obeys, i just make the tea and buy the buscuits. . i am in ratio so good idea to keep as we are....

I used to put my staff 'in charge' for the day, sitting back and observing, it was a real learning curve for them to 'feel' what it's like to be fully responsible for everything that goes on. Maybe if you did this they would understand why you need to delegate a bit more and I am sure they will be more than happy to support you once they know how many balls yu are juggling in the air at any given time. :o

Delegation is also a good way to value you other staffs abilities, for them to know that you trust them to 'do a job well' does loads for their self esteem, whereas on the other side of the coin, if you don't delegate your staff may feel demoralised. So write up a list all the tasks you do that could be done by others and 'hand them over'. xD:(

Peggy