Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are enjoying the first day of your holiday. I was wondering if I could pick your brains about learning journeys.

Currently we use an A4 book with white plain paper in where we stick examples of work and photos. We then have a tracking document where we place long and on the spot observations which are linked with the EYFSP for each child.

I have also created a photo file for each child which is added to regularly on the PC. These are split into the different terms.

I feel I have too much evidence in different places and would like some advice on what else I could use. I would be really grateful if you could give me some advice about what you use.

Thank you so much

Boogie xx

I think there have been loads of threads on here re learning journeys and I think that although they all share the same fundamental idea each seems personal to the setting!

I put mainly photographs and work in our learning journeys with lone comments sometimes re something seen or heard that is important, and then I use the nursery profiles to comment on other stuff.

I view the learning journeys as something for parent and child to share so must be relevant to them and not long winded pieces of writing.

A picture says a thousand words!!!!!!

Besides the pictures that end up in the learning journey I take pics daily as evidence of what we have seen and done as a group on any given day.

These are dated and put on my external hard drive.

Regularly I change the pics on the digital fram also!

Don't suppose that makes anything any clearer but...... at least you know someone else is out here on the first day of the hols!

Edited by Scarlettangel

You are right, if you search 'Learning Journey' as the title of a thread you'll come up with a lot of information. We use the Southampton one as a basis but have 'evolved' it for our own use - and to use a lot less ink!

This forms the first section of the Learning Story (why is everyone on a 'journey' these days?) and the second section is made up of photographs which are annotated with observations from the key person and comments the children made at the time as well as reflectively when they looked through their file another time. There are A4 zippy ringbinder pockets with 'treasure' in such as leaves or feathers and things made with lots of glitter! there are paintings and drawings and things from home and the last section - which they get when they leave - is the 'stepping stones' which are annotated and dated by key persons, mini observations of how these have been achieved

Edited by Cait

We work much the same as scarlettangel. Our learning jouneys are a more informal record of the childrens time with us. We use lots of photos with a brief comment to put them in context and also some of the childrens work, often with the childrens own comments added.

lots of photos with wow moments, observations split into areas of learning , parents coments pages, etc all in folder tyhe children love to look at their folders too

We work much the same as scarlettangel. Our learning jouneys are a more informal record of the childrens time with us. We use lots of photos with a brief comment to put them in context and also some of the childrens work, often with the childrens own comments added.

Everything about the child goes in our learning journeys. I got fed up of having bits in different places! So annotated photos, on the spot observations on stickers, longer observations, some special pieces of work (although we do have a folder for all the rest). There is a section at the back for parents to fill in including photos of family and a 'My news' section. We work from the front to the back (don't have seperate sections for different areas of learning as one piece of evidence can be for more than one area of learning). And the parents work from the back to the front.

We use prepared books that have sugar paper pages that are slightly bigger than a4 (so now having to chop down things before they get stuck in! We try to send them home at least once a half term.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to foundation stage and am just wondering where the term 'Learning Journeys' comes from. Is it essential that we all keep our records of achievement like this or call them so ?

• 3 weeks later...

I also dislike the term 'Learning Journey' and wonder where it came from, and why suddenly everyone is on a journey these days - from reality tv to game shows! We use the term 'Learning Story' and the children seem to like 'Special File'

I also dislike the term 'Learning Journey'

Our children have "Special Books" which works well for us in our setting. I think what is inside is more important than what it is called, so you can choose whichever term you prefer the sound of and stick to it, I would say. But then I'm not an advisory teacher or LA development worker, so what do I know!? :o

Maz

• 2 weeks later...

This year (my first year in Reception rather than nursery) I have inherited a system of maths books, writing books, ICT folders and art folders. The observations, post it notes and photos all go in a file which is separate. Do you (wise people) think it would work if all of these things ended up in one book? It sounds a bit radical but I was already thinking I must simplify things a bit.

This year (my first year in Reception rather than nursery) I have inherited a system of maths books, writing books, ICT folders and art folders. The observations, post it notes and photos all go in a file which is separate. Do you (wise people) think it would work if all of these things ended up in one book? It sounds a bit radical but I was already thinking I must simplify things a bit.

Oh definitely! I have just one book which has everything in. I think the children then learn to value every area as equal if it all goes in one book.

Yes we have just the one book and anyone can enter pieces of work, post it or info into it. we go through it regulalry with the children and with their parents/carers!

Hello,

Our F1 children just have one special book. I have been considering just using one book with the F2's, however, I have decided that a small writing book is a good way to show clearly how the children's writing develops over time They do not do much writing in it to begin with but by the end of the year the children love to write their own stories in it and look back at how much their writing has improved.

Boogie :o

Hi,

Within my nursery setting each child has a A4 200 paper ring binder and childrens work is put in, their observations, photos and end of term reports are included. It has taken us a while to keep ontop of everything, but looking through them with our children is brilliant to see. They talk and remember what the photo, picture and work they did and love showing them to their friends within the setting and with their parents on parents evenings.

Hi,

Within my nursery setting each child has a A4 200 paper ring binder and childrens work is put in, their observations, photos and end of term reports are included. It has taken us a while to keep ontop of everything, but looking through them with our children is brilliant to see. They talk and remember what the photo, picture and work they did and love showing them to their friends within the setting and with their parents on parents evenings.

This is the same as us. Observations re stored in the Key Person's file until it's time to send the file home, but this is because the children's files are kept in their trays and the observation stuff is a bit confidential - we feel

What do you do about any observations that are not wholly positive? eg George walked over to the sand tray and threw sand all over Bob. Our post it observations are all positive poits but our planned obs are longer and we write down everything that happens. would you put that in a learning journey?

We would note behavioural incidents like this in the Key Person record file - this is mainly to see whether there's a behavioural 'problem' that needs to be addressed. Or if there's a pattern, like always on Mondays or whatever.

I do believe that when you are making your long observations, you must carry them out warts and all. Now if something happens that is not particularly pleasant, in our system, we would footnote it and explain the PSE context of it and at least it gives an opportunity to talk to parents or let them ask questions about their child's behaviour. Whilst what happened may not have been very positive how you use the observation can be. I always try to reassure parents that part of the reason their child is at pre-school is to learn how to behave in a large group situation so that when they are in a reception class they have learnt how to handle all kinds of situations.

However, if say, we have a "persistent offender", then we would be noting down our observations in a separate file as Cait has said so that we can monitor triggers etc.

You are right, if you search 'Learning Journey' as the title of a thread you'll come up with a lot of information. We use the Southampton one as a basis but have 'evolved' it for our own use - and to use a lot less ink!

This forms the first section of the Learning Story (why is everyone on a 'journey' these days?) and the second section is made up of photographs which are annotated with observations from the key person and comments the children made at the time as well as reflectively when they looked through their file another time. There are A4 zippy ringbinder pockets with 'treasure' in such as leaves or feathers and things made with lots of glitter! there are paintings and drawings and things from home and the last section - which they get when they leave - is the 'stepping stones' which are annotated and dated by key persons, mini observations of how these have been achieved

I have seen lots on here about the Southampton Learning Journal - can anyone tell me how I can get this? Is there a link to it?

Thanks

Edited by willowdenenursery

I have seen lots on here about the Southampton Learning Journal - can anyone tell me how I can get this? Is there a link to it?

Thanks

Click here to find out more!

Maz

I'm very keen to adopt 'one book for everything' next year. I hadn't thought about putting reports as well, but it does make sense to do this. However when it goes home has anyone had any experience of it not coming back?

I'm just a bit worried that all 'evidence' would be going home, and if it doesn't come back you've lost everything ... :o

Or am I worrying needlessly?

I'm just a bit worried that all 'evidence' would be going home, and if it doesn't come back you've lost everything ... :o

Or am I worrying needlessly?[/font]

We send them home every half term. We have a few families who don't always return them when they are suppose to. None have actually lost it completely. A gentle reminder by me or my TA, a note on the door or a polite letter usually does the trick in getting them returned though!

We work the same as most of you as well...we have one book for all...photos,snap shot obs,narratives, learning sequences the children annotate,parent sharing information,work,comments made by the children,what have you been doing sheets(home link sheet), All about me sheets, It works really well for us and you can really see the whole child. These go ome every term and have always come back the next day...we must have really good parents xx

• 2 months later...

hi just joined today! have been getting round to it for ages and just having a break from painting the kitchen- now it seems that this is far more interesting :o

I am putting everything in one folder too! at least i won't lose bits then.

Keebs

Oh yes - this is more interesting - you should see my ironing pile! Why not go to the 'Introduce yourself' bit and tell us a bit about you - what type of setting, ages of children etc and everyone can welcome you properly.

Oh yes - this is more interesting - you should see my ironing pile! Why not go to the 'Introduce yourself' bit and tell us a bit about you - what type of setting, ages of children etc and everyone can welcome you properly.

Thanks will do soon cannot find intro bit at moment so will look again later.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading suggestions from here I created learning journies which contained a page about the children, photos, samoles of work, observations, pages for parents to fill in about their child's achievements, their Profiles (and now Development Matters) and targets for the coming term, which ,makes parent meetings much easier. My Advisory teacher thought they were good and the staff seem happy with them. We were then told by a second advisory teacher that they were not right and we would be getting training ... in January. In the meantime she sent us an example of what a learning journey should look like - a couple of sheets of paper on which we put in photos of a child doing someting. get them to say what they were doing and either a staff member or parent to give their view. I personally think it stinks so will carry with what we have with a few more pages about the children at home and see what OFTSED have to say.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)