Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting A Setting

Hi

this is one for the owners out there.

been thinking of starting own day nursery. very early stages, just in head at moment, but was interested to see how much it cost you to set up, and you views and stories on it. Did you buy the premises or just rent??

many thanks :o

ice

I am on that road at the moment. I have found some land to lease and am now looking into portacabins. I was advised (on here - thanks!) to speak to my local childcare development officer and she was really helpful. What do you do know, what things are already in place for you i.e. my staff are coming with me so that's one big tick in the box. Keep us posted with all your progress.. I love following success stories!

Im a manager in a nursery and regional manager to 3 more. With the type of work i do, i feel i have lots of experience and it would be nice to put my name to something and build something up for myself rather than an owner with no interest, inless they get more money from it!!! :o

I want to be an owner who has a general interest in the nursery!

I bought my nursery 5 years ago. It was a failing nursery when it was put up for sale. I leased it for the first 3 years and then bought the premises.

As an owner who was an experienced teacher (15yrs) before buying my nursery I can honestly say that you can't be in it for the money! I earn about 2/3 of what I was earning as a teacher, I work more hours than I did as a teacher (and that's a lot). I take 3 weeks holiday a year (instead of 13). But I love it more .... It's mine .... I feel the staff are part of an extended family ... The children are what it's all about. But please please please don't do it for the money!

pw x

Hi

I'm in the process of setting up my own Pre-School, I am aiming for Sep '09 opening. I have been given the opportunity to open in a local primary school in a classroom with attached outdoor space!! All of this sounds great but I am beginning to worry that I may have taken on too much!! Ofsted keep phoning to arrange their registration visit, the school are still clearing out the classroom, and I have a list as long as my arm of paper work to complete, plus I'm still running a local Pre-School until end of May.

If there is anyone out there who can offer advice (especially about Ofsted Visit!) please reply!!.

Also has anyone heard of or are using a planning pack by company called Playwise, if so is it any good?

Thanks

hmmm.. never heard of that playwise pack? will watch this thread as I am keen on using anything like that if it helps! It is scary isn't it.

Following from purplewednesday's post about not doing it for the money, the thing I would like to say is never underestimate how much work is involved in running your own group. I bought my group from the previous owner and she and I worked closely together. I guess in effect we were jointly running it, with hindsight. So now that I'm doing it on my own I am effectively doing twice as much work as before, and it is tough.

However much you delegate and however willing your team are to share the load, ultimately the buck stops with you. Even when things are going swimmingly it is hard work but if there is a crisis such as a complaint to Ofsted for example, life can become very difficult and that responsibility for whatever has happened sits squarely on your shoulders.

I know that committees get a pretty bad press on here, but when I hear of supervisors who are able to get committee members to do staff cover, or do newsletters, invoices and waiting lists etc I can't help feel a little envious! :o

As PW says the benefits of being able to decide your own fate is wonderful, but I would just urge caution about exactly how much work you're taking on. I thought I knew what was involved but now I realise I was ignoring that little voice in my head asking me if I was going to be able to cope. :( Perhaps a partnership with clearly defined responsibilities is an option to consider rather than a sole tradership?

That said, I have learned so much since I bought my group - and as some of you know I do like to be in charge! xD

Maz

As far as you Ofsted Pre Reg visit you need to show that the welfare requirements of the Eyfs have been taken care of, that your policies and procedures are ready and that you have an action plan to get everything else in place by the time you open!

Thanks for the advice, I have most of my paperwork in place so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem. Ofsted did ask if the resources would be available, however my concern with this would be if the registration (for whatever reason) didn't go through I would be left with a lot of equipment to sell!!

I know that it's going to be hard work, but after 3 years of running settings for other people I felt it was about time I did something for myself!!

So fingers crossed and I'll keep you all informed!!

Kris

I would really like to wish you luck!

The blessing for me is my wonderful manager - I have total confidence in her and that is soooo necessary. I agree with maz that sometimes it seems quite overwhelming. For example, I have 15 staff all of whom think that their problem should be at the top of my priority list - sometimes I want to be top of someones list! My manager and I have very different skills, she's fabulous with the parents and i'm a stickler for strategy planning. It is really hard when the going gets tough as the buck stops with you however there is a flip side to that - when it's good the praise comes your way.

Having a supportive family helps too, but I don't think anyone who hasn't actually done it for themselves really understands what it's like.

I plan 5 years at a time - allowing myself to stop and evaluate how far we have come and make decisions about what I want to achieve next. I will always allow one of the outcomes after 5 years to be 'just stop!'. I've just finished 5 year plan 1, and am finally able to pay myself a salary (I was unpaid for 2 years, randomly paid for another year and am now able to be paid every month). My next 5 year plan involves me applying for the Ed D programme and making my setting a case study ... ho hum.... not too much to do then!!

pw xx