Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food And Hygiene Requirements

there's always this

educare

How long does it take to do Cait? Am trying to weigh up the cost of paying the staff member to attend a free training course (albeit on a Saturday) and paying the staff member to do the course at home! :o

Maz

Legal Requirement

"Those responsible for the preparation and handling of food must be competent to do so"

Our Early Years team recommend the lead person (ie owner/manager) does the training and then cascades this down to those who prepare snack to ensure they are competent. The Legal Requirement doesn't actually state that everyone must receive official training, just that the registered person makes sure they have the skills and are competent to do so.

I think its a case of interpretation, really. :o

Maz

I ordered the disc yesterday- i got an email with the link today and cd is in the post.

I completed the test this afternoon took me an hour - I passed and printed off my certificate straight away.

Cost £49.99

Took about an hour and now my other staff can do it in their own time :o

I completed the test this afternoon took me an hour - I passed and printed off my certificate straight away.

Cost £49.99

Took about an hour and now my other staff can do it in their own time :(

So cheaper to go on the course then (from the setting's point of view anyway). xD Or does the £49.99 mean that the whole staff team can do it? :o My brain has officially turned to mush!

Maz

Yes we have a disc for the setting and all the staff can do it - so I think its cheaper and def more convinient

And is there an expiry date? This would definitely be cheaper and every new staff member could do it as part of their induction!

Result!

Maz

I ordered the disc yesterday- i got an email with the link today and cd is in the post.

Cost £49.99

Took about an hour and now my other staff can do it in their own time :o

Excellent!

It would seem that this is the way forward with this then.

Sunnyday

I have the same disk and I am under the impression that there is no expiry date for using it. As everyone has said it certainly seems to be the way forwrd with regards to cost and time efficiency.

• 1 month later...
That's who we use. It's not a bit stressful, you can do it in your own time

Cait - I've just received an email from a company offering online food hygiene courses (as well as lots of others). They also allow you to view a sample of their courses (you need to give your contact details before you can access it). I was wondering how the course compares to the educare one...?

Here's a link to their home page - they also offer e-learning courses on manual handling for childcare workers too!

Maz

Cait - I've just received an email from a company offering online food hygiene courses (as well as lots of others). They also allow you to view a sample of their courses (you need to give your contact details before you can access it). I was wondering how the course compares to the educare one...?

Here's a link to their home page - they also offer e-learning courses on manual handling for childcare workers too!

Maz

The food one looks quite good, it seems to cover all the same things but with a site licence it's cheaper. I think we were paying that per person with educare

The food one looks quite good, it seems to cover all the same things but with a site licence it's cheaper. I think we were paying that per person with educare

Is the educare one as gimmicky though? I kept expecting that chef to start speaking to me with a Swedish accent like the Muppet Show! :o

Is the educare one as gimmicky though? I kept expecting that chef to start speaking to me with a Swedish accent like the Muppet Show! :o

No, educare one seems dead serious in comparison, definitely no 'hurdy heedy'

After my last post, and checking out all the requirements, just read that after washing up plates and cups etc we are required to:

"Leave to air dry, or dry with a clean disposable cloth."

Does that mean the tea towels are banned?

The one you have posted a link to has been given the seal of approval by our Food Safety Team at the LA. We have used it for 2/3 staff so far and they all said it was quick and simple to use.

The one you have posted a link to has been given the seal of approval by our Food Safety Team at the LA. We have used it for 2/3 staff so far and they all said it was quick and simple to use.

Which link, holly35: the educare one or the Learn HQ one? :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)