Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sick Children

We seem to have a lot of children at the moment with older siblings who are off school with chicken pox and this sickness bug thats going around. :(

My question to you all, is, do you allow these sick older siblings into your setting. :o

All of our parents seem to think that it fine for their child to be off school, but then bring them along to our setting to drop off and collect younger child and allow them into the room.

We don't actually have a policy on this, so was wondering whether to create one and if anyone had one that I can have a look at.

Surely if they are sick enough to be off school, then they shouldn't be allowed to mix with our children who then may contact any infection/illness that they have.

Am I being petty or not? Honest opinions please xD

It's something I've thought about too - but Parents won't leave them in the car alone, and you can understand this. I'd rather they texted from the car and one of us would go out to collect the child who is coming in, and we do suggest this. Mind you - you could sit in front of a sick child on a bus, or stand next to one in a queue in Tesco, so maybe we're being a bit ......

This is a difficult one isn't it. It happens 'all the time' in our setting. The older siblings have uasually attended our setting in the past and are very keen to come in and say hello, have to say parents seem to be oblivious to the idea we may not be quite so eager to have 'poorly' children in our room!

But then as Cait said - children on the bus, in the Drs surgery, Supermarkets etc.etc.

And I really wouldn't want them to be 'left' in the car park.

That's really not much help is it - but at least you know you're not alone!

Sunnyday

the chances are that if one sibling has chicken pox then the others are already carrying the germs into the group and with the exception of pregnant mums (and in our case an older sibling with leukimia) then its probably better if the children can catch chicken pox now and get it over and done with....

the risks of being left in a car are worse than catching chicken pox so unless the car is on the doorstep of the setting with a member of staff watching the car I dont think it would be wise to propose leaving sick children in cars even for a minute

it is is a valid point that if older siblings are contagious then maybe there should be a way to dropping off with out passing on the germs I would suggest that if sessions are a set opening time then ask parents to arrive either 5 mins early or a few minutes late so that the entrance area is clear of arriving children and parent to minimise passing it on and not permitting sick children into the main play rooms

as for catching chicken pox off a child on the bus thats exactly how I caught it!

It is difficult isn't it? I have only ever once asked a parent to remove her child, sibling had CP and she bought her in day after spots had come out- so highly contagious. I just very politely suggested she wait in car and rang us or she caught another parent in car park to bring in other child. I know most people would raher their children caught things like CP earlier rather then later but for some peole it may not be a good time to catch it, can affect holidays etc. I know siblings could be incubating but they dont always come down wth everyhting their siblings do and obviously we cant assume they are.

i agree i think this is getting a bit silly i dont mind siblings coming in as someone said most are contagious before the spots etc etc appear

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)