Jump to content
Home
Forum
Join Us
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Class Pet


Guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

I haven't been on here for ages! How have I coped? I've just found out I have 25 pages of new topics to read through befor bedtime!

 

Anyway, that's not what I wanted to post about!

 

I'm quite keen on having a class pet- rabbit/guinea pig. Before I discuss it with my head teacher etc I was wondering if anyone out there currently had a class pet or had had one previous. Any pros/cons or words of wisdom? Thanks. xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest pamgreen

Hi the main issue is the health and well being of the pet. If you are going to take ultimate responsibility that is fine. However I don't think its fair for the pet to be going home each week end with different children. There are risk assessments in resources for you to look at. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh only I am a real animal lover. I got two male guinea pigs last year for our nursery, they were so terrified I took them home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I think I would have ultimate responsibility. I wouldn't want them to go home with different children at the weekends but do you think they would be ok left at school over the weekend? The caretaker is in most Saturdays to unlock the school so she could feed them then. During holidays they could come home with me but I wouldn't want to put them through the journey home every weekend!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does it have to be something 'furry'?

 

We have a Giant African land Snail - v. easy to care for and the children love him! They enjoy helping to clean his tank, add new compost, feeding him and 'spraying' him - (he needs to be sprayed with tepid water daily).

 

I do have to take him home as he would get to cold in our building overnight (winter months only) - but is easily transported.

 

Sunnyday

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would not leave them all weekend. I know you said the caretaker could feed them but if she isn't in for any reason that's fri eve til mon morn with no food/fresh water/hay - they don't ration their food - they'd probably eat it all quite quickly! Also, rabbits need exercise so it's not fair for them to be in a cage/hutch all weekend. Actually, so do guineas, but a large cage/hutch would be OK for a couple of days. In case you can't tell, I'm a rabbit/guinea pig lover! Actually, my love of pigs came from junior school, where my class had 2 guineas that went home with children each weekend and in holidays!!! But that was some years ago!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have 2 rabbits and myself and another member of staff take sole responsibility and take it in turns at weekends to go and feed them and give them fresh water...we are both only 5 mins away!

in the holidays they usually go home with her as she has a lovely area for them in her garden.

 

Both our rabbits were from a parent and they are very friendly and not scared of the children at all, they love them.

 

Ive put some photos on so you can see our rabbits...Fifi & Bumble named by the children. Children are supervised when they go into the run and know they must wash their hands after handling the rabbits.

post-8412-1238513179_thumb.jpg

post-8412-1238513375_thumb.jpg

post-8412-1238513455_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'd be safer with the snail idea I think, less allergies to worry about. Also, as a one-time breeder of cavies I can say that they'd be a bit whiffy after a weekend 'home alone' not nice for everyone to walk into on a Monday morning - and not nice to deal with first thing either!

 

Have you considered something like terrapins or even a tarantula! Now that would be exciting! What's your budget like....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'd be safer with the snail idea I think, less allergies to worry about

 

My daughter is a severe asthmatic and fur is one of her triggers. She's just spend 3 days in hospital after stroking a cat her grandma had let in her flat. We are extremely careful with furry things although we do have a rabbit for my older daughter which remains outside and she looks but doesn't touch. We have fish as our class pets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest tinkerbell

We have gold fish

We got one and had it in a small tank...the children wanted a friend for the fish so we wrote to Pets at Home to ask if they would give us a larger tank and a new friend. Super reason for writing!

We were given a super tank with filter,light ,gravel,castle,toys.....and new friend! few photos in paper and another reason to write...thank you letter.

 

The children love the fish and they come to the front of the tank to 'talk'to the children,we have labels saying ! fed the fish today.....and the children notice and are interested in them .

 

Tinkerbellx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)