Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Is The World Coming To?

My 20 year old son was beaten up by a gang of around 10 youths while out with his friends last night. The attackers also hit two of the girls in the group in the face and smashed another girls head against a brick wall.

The police were called but only took down details and did not attend the scene. My son was brought home by a friend around 2am and I have been up with him most of the night. They head butted him from behind and while he was trying to get back up they punched him in the face cutting above and below his eye and chipping one of his teeth. After much persuasion I took him to A&E and he has had to have 6 stitches and I have just got back from the emergency dentist who has repaired the tooth. (Bless him, still worried about his good looks after all that!!)

How could someone do that to another person? It is beyond me and it makes me so angry to see the pain they have inflicted on my son whose only 'crime' was to be walking down the road in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thankfully with plenty of TLC he will be fine but it scares me to think what may have happened. I'm just grateful that he is OK.

so sorry to hear your news, i hope your son is ok, it's frightening the way the world is becoming and the police don't seem to be interested, all they give is a crime number through talks over the phone. my brother was knocked of his bike while riding home from work, they stole his mobile phone and kicked and punched him.... it really makes you wonder why people are like this...

I hope your son is ok...

I don't know what to say to you except thank goodness his injuries were no worse.

My daughter recently told me that her boyfriends mum and sister were getting out of their car with tesco shopping at about 9.30pm at night when a group of youths started in on them and their car.

Thumping both the mum and siter!

The boyfriend rushed out and was severely beaten himself trying to protect mum and sister.

My daughter called the police who did not come to the scene at all but she was pulled out of work the next day for about 5 hours to give a statement (so she lost nearly a days pay too!!)

The boyfriend needed A&E assitance.........

one of the youths was identified.

Has done similar before and just got verbal caution.

I believe for these youths there is nothing to fear.

Nothing at all so they carry on time after time.

But at some point the injuries will not be minor or the effects will not be minor.

What a world eh?

Again though. sorry to hear what happened to your son x

Your poor son, and you.

There just seems no end to such sensless action, I really don't understand it at all.

Wishing him a speedy recovery, and please don't dwell too much on what might have been!

jackie.

it is a scary world!!!

its the emotional effects of these things thats often the worsed the anger the family and friends feel and the trauma of comming to terms with the attack

I hope your son makes a full recovery (both physically and emotionally)

your poor son and poor you -it must have been an awful experience.As a mum of a 16 year old boy I have a dread of something like that happening. Thank god he was able to come home to you!!! I hope he soon recovers and his confidence not knocked by these stupid creatures.

Sending best wishes to you and your son. It really makes you wonder what the world is coming to, and why these youngsters act in this way. Hope he makes a speedy recovery and is able to get on with his life without constantly looking over his shoulder.

I'm so sorry to hear about your son and his friends. It makes me feel so angry that these sort of things happen. It is time the police did something about this type of crime and there was some sort of deterrent.

Lots of hugs to you all.

I am so sorry to hear about your son. Please pass on my thoughts and good wishes to your son and his friends.

You are right though the world is becoming a very scary place and I know exactly how you feel as both my 20yr old son and husband were assaulted outside our home on the 2nd January by a group of 18 youths (drunk) who were asked to get off my car (they thought it was great fun to climb on top and jump off). They were asked politely to move on by my husband and they set about him like a pack of wolves. My son ran out to help and 5 teens tried to get him on the floor. Luckily he's 6ft 3in and takes no prisoners so he only got a black eye and broken glasses, unfortunately my husband was not so lucky as one of the youths decided to use a brick and smashed his nose, caused a severe haemorrhage in his left eye and fractured his jaw. The physical injuries heal but what goes on inside is a different matter. My son feels guilty he could get to his dad to help him and my husband is still trying to come to terms with what happened. To make matters worse we recognised a few of the teens and realised one actually sat next to our daughter at school!

I like you felt relieved it was not worse and that the scars will fade. We were lucky though as the police have been wonderful and several of the culprits have been arrested and the youth with the brick has been identified and they are going for a custodial sentence as he has previous convictions.

My thoughts are with all of you who have experienced the same and I pray and hope that the police and authorities will soon crack down hard on these thugs and the sentence will start to fit the crime. Flogging jumps to mind at the moment..........!!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your son, hopefully he will recover soon and so will you and the rest of your family.

Did you take photos of his face? Just in case the poliice get around to investigate.

Best wishes to you all.

:oxD

Feel the anger for you, and Adbenaja, ZERO TOLERANCE is whats needed.

I hope that body and mind heals soon.

Peggy

p.s. I only just managed not to swear in my response :(

So sorry to hear your frightening news. I hope you son makes a speedy recovery and looks positively to the future.

I have a 15 year old son myself and constantly worry about him until he comes back through the front door! He

cannot understand why I am so protective as i ask him to contact me regularly from his mobile and is home by

10pm. One day I am sure all our children will appreciate why we worry so much, when they become parents themselves!

Best wishes to all your family my thoughts are with you

dottyp

Its disgusting!! What is wrong with these people! :o

They obviously have no conscience at all.

My dad will go out and tell youths to move on or whatever and I'm always terrified something will happen. I tried to keep him in once but he was so mad at their behaviour near our house he went out and they ended up running after him with a scaffolding bar. Luckily they never got to him...but for a while after I was scared they'd come back!

Id rather they damaged property than body and I tell my dad its not worth it - just call the police....but he says he cant stand there and watch them ...its too late when something happens though - scary.

Mustangsally, I am so sorry to hear what has happened to your son, it must have been a terrible ordeal for him and for you. Adbenaja thinking about you and your family too, thank goodness both your son and husband are ok. mrsW.x

As we are a relatively small group of people on this forum it is very worrying that so many families have experienced these terrible incidents - including me (my son)

I hope those affected soon recover, physically, mentally and spiritually. I’m with Peggy we need serious deterrents Zero Tolerance

Julie :o

Just what I was thinking Julie, it's not a case of the odd case you hear about nowadays, it is all the time, it makes me scared for my children. :o

I hope you all recover from these horrible incidents and send lots of sympathy to anyone who has experienced such awful treatment.

So sorry to hear about your son I sometimes wonder too what the world is coming to! Violence seems to be a way of life for too many people and the punishments in my opinion are not severe enough!!

Hope the recovery is speedy!

so sorry to hear of your awful experience, i can only agree with and offer the sentiments everyone else has expressed, it doesnt matter how old our children are we all worry so much when they are are out on their own, wishing your son a speedy recoverry and hope his confidence isnt eroded to much.scum like that are not worth it,

jx

Thanks to you all for your support and kind words. My son has been receiving visitors all afternoon - so many of his friends have been round to see how he's doing and he's had some lovely cards and gifts - even one from the parents of one of the girls he was trying to defend when the group were attacked.

I just hope that those responsible are caught before any one else gets hurt. Sadly, as others have said, there seems little deterent to these thugs and they can get away with it time and time again. Even more sadly, I phoned the police today to follow up the report and all they could offer was a crime number for insurance purposes and the suggestion that if he finds out who did it, could my son please let them know!! My thoughts on this are unprintable but I will leave it to your imaginations!

Once again, many thanks. And to all of you who have been unfortunate enough to suffer the same as our family, I wish you all the best.

Sally

Gosh - how awful. I really feel for you both mustangsally and adbenaja. This is a terrible thing and I can't begin to imagine what you must have gone through witnessing the after effects of such an attack.

I hope both the physical wounds and the emotional trauma heals quickly - and that the Police are able to do more than issue a crime number and move on.

What a sad world we live in.

Maz

im sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but having seen the judicial system for the last 2 weeks and being on 2 cases where the jurers are pulling thier hair out as the police in both cases have done nothing!!!!!! - iso criminals are getting away with everything!!!!! ts not suprising we are living in the chaos we are! :o

Really sorry you're going through such a terrible time. Like Susan says, my son was involved a few weeks ago in an incident. The worse part for me was thinking of what could have happened. These young men of ours are just the age that statistics tell us is when they are most likely to be involved in something of this nature and sadly there doesnt seem to be anything 'normal' people can do about it. One police officer told me that though my son is likely to be a target someone like me or her would probably go the whole of our lives without being attacked. She said these people still seem to see the mom figure and will react differently to us than if a man challenges them. I blame us as adults for whats happened, we've failed to challenge this behaviour over the years for fear of retaliation and now we've given power away.

Hopefully the bruises, cuts and bumps will soon heal and leave no lasting effects.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your son Sally.

There are far too many incidents like this happening these days and I would agree with Rea that we share the blame by not challenging this behaviour. An incident reported in our local paper recently was a young girl beaten up on a bus and not one person came to her aid......presumably through fear of retaliation from the rest of the feral creatures present. This government too has to share blame.........they have systematically taken on the role of 'nanny', telling teachers to teach children right from wrong, giving sex education lessons and even putting the onus on schools to teach children how and what to eat etc......all things that were taught in the home a generation ago.

We have allowed this to happen, ensuring that lazy or 'don't care' parents can absolve themselves of their duty to try and raise their children knowing right from wrong and holding their hands up to take responsibility when their children go off the rails and attack someone like Sally's son.

Yes zero tolerance is whats needed without the namby pamby solutions currently being handed out by the judiciary.

OK off the soapbox now!

Your news is awful, Sally, best wishes to you all.

This sort of thing makes me so angry, I just can't understand the mentality, and the fact that the police didn't even attend, I know they're very stretched, but they do seem very selective.

A friend's son was out with some mates, stopped to get some fuel & discovered a girl, they didn't know, too drunk to walk, on the pavement. As they didn't want to leave her there in that state they rang the police, who said they couldn't come for at least an hour, it was upto them if they stayed or went. Of course they chose to stay to make sure she was safe!

The gas station attendent told them he would call the police if they didn't move their car off his forecourt, they tried to explain what had happened and that they had already rung the police, but he wouldn't listen. Just 10 minutes later a police car arrived because the attendent had rung and complained that four boys in hoodies were refusing to move their car. Suddenly they have the manpower for this, but not a young girl in danger?! Where is the reasoning for that??

I find it all very sad and confusing. :o

Edited by Smartdog