Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just Had A Really Silly Morning

Rea

I've just had a brilliant morning, I had 3 children at a time sit with me and told them that snack today was bread and butter, but that I'd forgotten what to do, and needed their help. On the table was a knife, plates, loaf and a tub of buter. I asked them what to do first, and after staring at me and explaining more clearly one girl said 'put the bread on the plates'. I put the loaf on the plate and got loads of giggles and 'no silly'. I asked questions from start to finish until each child had produced a piece of bread and butter. Speading the butter (marg) was abit difficult, but I wasnt really doing it for that. They had to think really clearly and I got some great ob's. (took ages though, 1.5 hrs for 15 children) :D

Hi Rea

We do this quite abit at snack time, we also let them butter and jam their own toast. It does mean that snacktime takes longer but they get so much out of it and the more able children are able to teach the less able children what to do. We have also got sequencing pictures of how to make sandwiches.

Carol

Guest alisonjayne

Our children love this activity too, we made honey sandwiches to share with our bears this week, it great to look at the variety of ways that the children spread and cut. Not done obs on this yet but will now. Like Lucy says the children say theythese are the best they have tasted

You're right about parents not doing this enough at home, one girl (age 4) was really unhappy when I offered the knife to her and said 'only grown ups are allowed to use those', ok in some ways perhapes but really...what does she eat with at home? fork and spoon still :o

Oh :o whatever do you mean? I'm shocked at your computerist comments and will be reporting said comment to the big O who will no doubt have a regulation against it. xD:(:( (but really...I would probably starve Sue) :D

My girls love to help me make the dinner every evening. Takes a bit longer but theres always something they can do which isn't dangerous and with a lot of supervision they can even slice vegetables. We're all so busy nowadays that children are denied so many simple pleasures. :o

Not really relevant, but felt the need to share - you reminded me, Carol talking about things for your girls which aren't dangerous!

While I was in hospital my husband ate all the fresh coconut I'd bought as a treat, so to spoil me, he bought another one on Friday (I'm a simple person, really.....). On Saturday, he set about preparing it, he managed to drain the 'milk' out, then smash it up and bless him, wouldn't dream of leaving me to dig out the flesh! :( He armed himself with a 'safe' knife and proceeded to begin to lever out the flesh while I sat in the other room with a coffee....sudden sharp intake of breath and splash as the cocnut dropped in the sink! I shot (well, hobbled :( ) into the kitchen to see what had happened - it was like a seen from Helm's Deep!! Blood everywhere and husband standing, clutching his spurting thumb!! xD:o It took ages to sort out, and most of the coconut was consigned, it being liberally laced with blood sauce! And he tells me to be careful!! They do say the dangerous knife is the blunt one.....

He is, I hasten to add, recovered, with just a sore thumb now.

Sorry, I'm not really unsympathetic :( , it just made us laugh after the event!

Sue :D

No Sue, you're not the only one, I wouldn't swap mine for anything :D:D

Sorry to hear you've been in hospital, you turn off this computer for one minute and all sorts of things happen :o

Rea, great activity. Traffic light sandwiches are good, red jam, apricot yellow jam and green gooseberry jam.

Sue x

Not anymore apparently Sue, our DW came in last week while the children were having toast and she was pleased we didnt give jam because of the sugar content linked to the governments healthy living scheme. Whatever next???? :D

Oh well, we would really be in trouble then-chocolate spread sandwiches!!! We are doing colours this half term and wanted an activity for brown. So we decided on chocolate spread on wholemeal bread!! Nice bit of rhyming there to boot! :D:D Does the fact that it's wholemeal counteract the chocolate???? :oxD

Linda

PS Development workers??? You're lucky Rea to be getting visits! I don't even know what ours is called let alone know what she looks like-and as for visits!!!

Double trouble for us then Linda!!

Reindeer sandwiches :o

Slice of bread cut into triangles(will do for 2 children), spread with chocolate spread. With the long edge to the top and the point at the bottom, put a cherry on bottom corner for Rudolphs nose. 2 little marshmallows for eyes and choc matchmakers for antlers. Great activity but of course not good for you at all!!!!! xD

Sue J

PS - perhaps to be a bit more healthy , instead of choc matchmakers you could use twiglets - but not the same eh?

Or how about marmite, - no, too salty :( !!; tomato sauce - no, too many additives :( !! ; mustard - no, too strong :( !!and pesto - hmm, maybe the last one? :wacko:

But would the children eat it? :o

Sue :D

PS, I'm in your gang Sue No 1 - what the eye doesn't see... xD

I begin to think someones lost the plot really--eating is healthy, not eating is not!

My son when aged 5 nearly became aneroxic he became so obsessed with healthy eating after donig this in school And I wasnt feeding him anything in excess that wasnt good for him! I know there is a problem with obese children and adults but surely its the excesses not the eating in moderation that is really to blame!?