Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Legal Ratios In The Eyfs

Rufus

Hi

Can anyone advise me on what my child:adult ration should be?

I currently have 25 children in F1 with the support of a full time nursery nurse. Ater easter our numbers are going up to 42. My head is appointing a full time T/A for these extra children but I have been told that even though it tips us over the numbers, there is no more money for another adult.

Am i correct in thinking that the ration is 1:13 and over 30 there should be another teacher employed? So we should have 4 adults for 42 children.

Guest budgie1

Hi Rufus

The EYFS clearly states that there must be one class teacher for every 30 children. If you have 31 or more children then you must have 2 teachers. A HLTA does not count as a teacher. Without 2 teachers the school will not be meeting the statutory requirements of the EYFS.

If you want to show her look at pg 50 of the Statutory framework for the EYFS document.

Hope this helps.

Guest budgie1

Whoops!

Sorry, but I have just read your post again and realised that you are in F1. I think you do only need one teacher and one level 3 or equivalent and the overall ratios must not exceed 1:13 so for 42 children you would need 1 teacher and 3 other practitioners. Sorry about my previous post, Its been a long week! :o

Technically it is Beaue but its always been one of those things that nurseries have often been treated differently. Every nursery class I've ever worked in had only had one teacher for up to 52 children. It would be interesting to know how many nursery classes are still operating with on teacher but more than 30 children?

But to get back to Rufus' query, you are definitely over number if you have 3 adults and 42 children. Your head needs to understand this, or employ another adult.

If a nursery class in a maintained school has more than 26 children, is an additional teacher required?

The EYFS recommends that, where the size of a group or class exceeds 26 children, it would be good practice to assign an additional teacher to it and that an additional teacher should always be assigned when the size of a class exceeds 30.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandle...cationsandfaqs/

So let me get this right. For 42 children another teachers is advised but not a legal requirement. However if we don't employ a 4th person then we aren't meeting the legal requirements - or is that ration just advisory?

42 in a class my goodness sorry but i would not be happy with that as a parent

A few years ago we had 59 in one class with only 3 adults!!! 42 is low! Still, i'm not looking forward to it as I fear that we may just end up crowd controlling rather than facilitating any learning.

There were 42 in my class when I was at school 'in the olden days' and just one teacher - classroom assistants weren't 'invented' then

I'm not sure whether you're promoting this as a good idea or a bad one Cait - but I'll bet education wasn't very child centred in those days! :o

Hi, happy mothers day everyone.

In my school nursery we have 39 nursery age children with one teacher and 2 qualified nursery nurses with level 3. x x0258 :o

I'm not sure whether you're promoting this as a good idea or a bad one Cait - but I'll bet education wasn't very child centred in those days! :o

It wasn't child centred at all - we all had to move along at exactly the same rate. I'm sure we'll get back to that - what goes around comes around they say!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)