Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Zero Tolerance On Violence/agression

Guest silebydaynursery

Guest silebydaynursery

Hi i am a new visitor to the forum but have hit a stumbling block! the title comes across a bit heavy, but over time we have come accross a few parents who voice there views in a agressive manner and although these have been dealt with fine at the time, staff have recently been chatting about this not really being ok for them to be spoken to in this manner. currently we have no posters or policy stating anything to do with this topic so i was wandering if anyone else had anything i could look at to use. thankyou

Hi

We have also had the odd parent who voices there views in a agressive manner and was dealt with fine at the time, my staff have also said it is not really ok for them to be spoken to in this manner. I have been looking for a poster but not come across one yet.

Carol

Only last week we had aprent upset a memebr of staff to the point she was in tears, and she is normally very strong.

She confronted him as he accessed our security gate as she didn't recognise him, and he was incredibly rude, pushing past her and left with a who does she think he is talking to him like that. His child wasn't at preschool that morning, is an afternoon child anyway and the staff member works in our other room. It's only the 2nd time he'd been to our setting so it was understandable no-one recognised him.

As a result, we've both put a poster on our gate, reminding parents/carers to be respectful to our staff and also a letter home, saying the same thing. I don't know of any generic posters you can get but it didn't take long to run one up on the pc and laminate it.

It's absolutely disgusting people think they can speak to others the way they do.

Sam

I think this could also be underpinned by a policy (or rather a clause in another policy!) which outlines the kinds of behaviour that are expected from parents. Parents would be asked to sign a declaration that they agree to abide by the policy, and the likely consequences for parents if they are violent or aggressive in their dealings with staff and/or other parents and children.

Then you would have a clear procedure to follow in the event of a staff member being verbally abused.

If physical abuse occurs then this should be a matter for the police. Actually - that's another point for discussion isn't it? What do you think? :o

Maz

we have it in our behaviour policy as Maz has just stated. it is also part of our parental agreement which all sign before their child can start. we reserved right to exclude parent in extreme circumstances.

have had it in there for a long time now, ever since a parent was aggressive towards me, and when I did not react just got worse.

Ideally you also have to add a bit in about staff reciprocating with same behaviour.

Inge

I'm so sorry I didn't welcome you to the Forum, silbeydaynursery. :( I was so shocked at my writing that I needed yet another policy I was quite overcome for a moment... :o

Congratulations on your first post - here's to many many more as addiction slowly takes hold! xD

Maz

I had a parent confront another member of staff to complain that I'd just told her off! All i'd done - and I couched my words very carefully as I've been rehearsing for weeks - was ask her really nicely not to wheel her push chair across the preschool carpet straight off the road as she often leaves the carpet wet (and goodness knows what she's got on the wheels too) and the children sit and lie on the carpet to play. She obviously took offence - but maybe she'll reconsider bringing the buggy in! We have a big porch at the front of the chapel, so there's no need to bring it in at all!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you have a really good time catching up on the reading!

A warm welcome to the forum from me too. I've noticed these type of signs in hospitals, to be respectful etc. Agree with Maz the policy should also include how any aggressive behaviour will be managed and what the consequences are. It is indeed a sad world that we feel the need to have this type of dialogue with people.

The heading could be something like;

"There is no excuse for verbal or physical abuse"

Peggy

Found this when doing an image search for posters, which I rather like, could be adapted Respect

I found the NHS poster it's short and to the point, on the link under 'Kensington and.........' click Zero tolerance

HERE

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)