Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who Do You Want Your Child To Be?

Inge

If not , worth a look here

WHO DO YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO BE?

I found it by accident but having watched it today thought it worth recommending....

quite interesting, not so sure on the comment about an experimental nursery where all is done by play! been doing that for 21 years!

but puts forward idea of moving play module into later years

Inge

Edited by Inge

Yes Inge - I watched it and thought it v. interesting...........

The main thing I took from it was the over praising of children ..........I have a tendency to do this and will make a special effort to change my "oh you are so clever" to "Oh you must have worked so hard" - the point being made here for those who didn't see the programme is that if you continually tell a child that he/she is clever they begin to think that that is all they are valued for and then are less inclined to take risks/try new things for fear of failure.

Thought provoking stuff.

Sunnyday

Well that was a pleasant diversion for an hour!

Thanks for this Inge - what an interesting programme. Mind you it did irritate me from the start when the narrator said that David Baddiel was off to where children start their education - primary school! I'm not sure what we in the pre-school movement have been doing for the 40 odd years. :o And wasn't that experimental nursery lovely - where children were learning through play. Wonder if that will catch on?

How I felt for that little girl who rang the bell 30 seconds before her ten minutes were up and I wondered if she ever knew that if she'd stuck it out until the end she could have had three marshmallows instead of one? xD

It did strike me as a bit ironic that David Baddiel should be looking to science for answers in his big quest - when one of his few memories of his childhood were when he told his father that he didn't want to do any science A levels.

All in all it was very illuminating!

Maz