Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Building Learning Power

I am looking for inspiration. I need to make a display in the reception class to demonstrate building learning power to the children. Help !

Something about an activity involving sustained shared thinking, annotated to remind the children what they learned and showing how they could use these new skills in different areas?

Really difficult one this: was it your choice of display topic? :o

Good luck - let us know what you decide, and it would be great to see a photo of the finished display!

Maz

Hi Patch,

Could you maybe take one of the four Rs of learning power, and use photos, captions, examples of the children's work to demonstrate what it means?

Resilience – being able to lock on to learning and manage distractions:

maybe you could have an affirmation-type caption like "We can all concentrate on what we are doing!" (maybe talk about not disturbing others, not beign tempted away by flitting from place to place, etc.

Resourcefulness – being able to learn in different ways

well, anything from the EYFS! Maybe about different learning styles, eg "We learn by listening/seeing/doing", etc.

Reflectiveness - being able to be more strategic about learning

Asking the children to talk about their work, and then typing this up, alongside their contribution to the wall. How they went about it, what they thought about, any changes they might make, etc

Reciprocity - being able to learn with and without others

Maybe photos of individual and collaborative working, with suitable captions on "How I learn on my own", "How we help each other to learn," etc.

Hope this gives you a start :o

• 1 month later...

sorry its taken a while to get back. No it wasn't my idea which is what makes it harder to do! I did it with photos and captions in the end have no photo at the moment. I am at home recovering from week in coronary care! at only 42 and no history of heart trouble i got a shock it turns out i have had pneumonia and its left me vulnerable and picked up a virus that has affected my heart on the mend now though

Gracious me Patch I hope all is soon well with you and you are resting and following Dr's orders. These things happen and give us a fright, but it is amazing how resilient our bodies are, and I'm sure you will soon be bouncing back. Take care.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)