Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Linking With Other Settings For 4yr Olds

Should an after school club be in contact (via a contact book) with a preschool if a 4year old attends both settings?

I think i already know the answer, just need some opinions please!

Hi Sarah......Wolfie says yes! :o

thats what i thought and surely anyone whos had any kind of training with eyfs would know that, but the preschool ive had to deal with say that they dont think the contact book is necessary!

Guest Wolfie

If I were you I would hunt out the bits in the EYFS guidance that specifically refer to liaison and working in partnership with other settings and use those as the reason why you have approached them to develop a relationship - always good if you have a bit of "officialdom" to back up your argument. It also shows that you're not being awkward just for the sake of it! :o

1.13 Many children will receive education and care under the EYFS framework in more than one

setting. Some may attend part-time, while others may attend full-time and also use extended

services, such as breakfast or after-school clubs. These patterns of attendance will be a key

factor in planning. For children who attend more than one setting, practitioners must ensure

effective continuity and progression by sharing relevant information with each other and parents.

but the preschool ive had to deal with say that they dont think the contact book is necessary!

Well maybe they are right: maybe the contact book isn't necessary. I'd ask them if they have a better suggestion to help both your settings meet the requirements of the EYFS! :o

Maz

how do others keep/get into contact with other settings .we are a preschool and find thios really hard - i find i end up chatting to mum about the other setting and how the child is doing there as the other setting seem reluctant to have any contact with us

is it better to write a note - keep a copy for the big o to see that we have tried to contact them with no reply.

We are lucky in that we don't have a contact book as our afterschool club is run in school, through school and therefore staff can easily pass along messages re children, behaviour etc.

For an odd one or two children a book is necessary as the class teacher and parents are in close contact re how the child has been that day etc.

This is only usually when situations are going on, not as the norm.

Maybe if there was also a childminder involved in the day and so no school staff or afterschool staff ever saw a parent then a book would be a good idea!

I think home/school/childminder/afterschool books should be used to celebrate the achievements made as well as a point of contact should there be any concerns - it can then be celebrated in the other setting - parents too can then read and celebrate at home -this is the aim of the EYFS - everyone working together - :o Dot

thanks everyone!

even though our asc is run in the school we have recently set up contact books for our 4/5yrs olds to link breakfast club/school/asc together ...any problems are being sucessfully passed on via these books (they stay within the school and never go home)- highly recommended!!!

the preschool is 2 minutes down the road and i used to work there, leaving at christmas ...there is some friction between the asc and preschool!!! not from our point but from theirs (it's not great!)

i approached a member of their staff and asked to set up some kind of contact method between the 2 settings, suggesting a contact book as its working well through the school.

i have since been told there is 'no need' for any communication between the settings!

we, as an asc, have consulted with our out of schools consultant and she has said that we definately do need some kind of contact.

does feel like we've hit a dead end though!

Looks like you are going to have to do what I'm doing. Write a letter - and keep a copy for yourself, asking them to co-ordinate and communicate. IF they choose to ignore it, at least you've got your copy to show you tried!

Looks like you are going to have to do what I'm doing. Write a letter - and keep a copy for yourself, asking them to co-ordinate and communicate. IF they choose to ignore it, at least you've got your copy to show you tried!

that's what we were advised to do by our out of schools consultant ...funny how some ppl think the 'rules' don't apply to them!

Slightly off topic hre but I'm intrigued (or just plain nosey!!) but why would a pre-schooler be attending an after school club as well? Arent ASC for 'after school' pupils? Or do you take after nursery as well?

our asc is open to ANY child who is 4-16 years old ...which means as soon as they reach 4yrs, even if they are still at a preschool/nursery they can attend. does make our job very difficult as playworkers though as the wide range of ages is very tricky to cater for, luckily at the moment our oldest children attend the primary school and are 11yrs old!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)