Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Photos Taken On Personal Mobile

Can i have some views on using your personal mobile to take photos during the sessions. We were decussing this at a recent staff meeting. Is there anywhere that states you can't use your own fone to take photos during the session. Does anyone else use their own phones? Is it ok to use your phone longs photos are deleted before you leave work.

We do not use personal mobile phones, and would not allow staff to, we have camera's for this purpose.

Although we have considered getting a mobile with camera for the setting- to enable us to send photos of 'unsettled' children.... you know the ones -cry like billio when first left and within 2mins are as happy and anything with friends!! I think it would be good for working parents to see their children happily settled after a short period. Or even any real WOW moments.

xxxx

Can i have some views on using your personal mobile to take photos during the sessions.

To a certain extent this comes down to trust - as manager I would want to be sure that I could trust the owner of the camera not to show other people the photos if children were included, and be certain that the photographs themselves would be deleted once safely stored in the manner which has been agreed in our setting.

We use three digital cameras in our setting - one belonging to me, another belonging to the deputy supervisor and a third which the children can use. Several staff members have cameras on their phones and these are not routinely used but have been used in 'emergency' situations when my camera's battery has suddenly died, or my memory card was full at a crucial point in some activity or other. Recently this has been during our recent delivery of kerosene and again when the new shingle for our outdoor area was being delivered. Without the back up provided by someone using their mobile to take photographs, I would have missed opportunities to document significant events that really interested our children.

Perhaps I need to put this in some policy or other so that parents are aware explicity how photographs are taken, and what arrangements there are for storing these photographs and ensuring that their children's privacy is protected and maintained? Another job for the 'to do' list... :o

Maz

oohh really not sure. Huge confedentiality issues. You may be able to trust your staff now - but what about the new one that starts next week.

Really don't think it is good practice - I am the only one allowed to take the cameras home ( one of my staff put photos on face book!!!) to print them off.

Personally I think you are leaving yourself open to allegations. A good policy would be needed - not sure how parents would feel.

We do use camera's at our setting. It was a question that was asked at our last staff meeting by one of the staff if we could use our personal phones. I didnt know how we stood legally, but couldnt find anything written down on it. To me i say it's a no no.

Wanted to asked the forum there views on it.

Do you think it's up the managers/owners to make the choice.

Personally I would argue that cameras should be provided as necessary tools for the job and lets face it digital cameras are getting cheaper all the time. Then phones can be locked away safely where they belong!

Cx

You may be able to trust your staff now - but what about the new one that starts next week.

I agree it is a tricky issue. I would certainly not allow a new member of staff to do this, nor one who I did not consider had fully grasped the importance of confidentiality. Nor is this done as a matter of routine - under normal circumstances we use our own digital cameras as I explained before. Of the photographs taken with a mobile, a very small minority would include children.

I guess it is about control, too - and you're quite right, tess it should be underpinned by a good policy and procedure. I think my parents are confident that I take all precautions to protect their children's images - I asked them all to sign a declaration to confirm their understanding that the uploading of any photographs they took at our Christmas play to social networking sites was not acceptable because of the risk of including images of other children without their parents' consent.

It is something that I will keep under review - and will continue to decide on a case by case basis whether the risk of using a mobile phone to take a few photographs with is worth it in order to document something worthwhile and important for a child's learning journey.

Maz

I use my own camera, hopefully will get one for the children to use soon.

But on a course and talking about gathering evidence, we were told that phones were a no no and not to be used.

jackie.

For all the aforementioned reasons (get me!!) I would not use phones, although there CAN be emergencies, I accept!

However I would also say -NO PHONES!!! - we have a young staff team and I fear they might keep 'checking them' - if you see what I mean?

Sue xD:o

We all leave our mobiles on my desk so we can get to them if we have to. Staff know that they can't fiddle with them during he session, but it's ok at lunchtime. Not that they really do it then either. We use the Preschool mobile to take pictures of children to show Mum they are settled, which is always appreciated, much better than just a text!

A little hypocritical of me but I would tell my staff not to use their phones to take pictures of the children or in the setting. Hypocritical because I do use mine to do that, but usually when I am on the other side of the building to the camera and I need to catch a child doing something without them noticing (usually not crying!).

That said I am the only member of staff who uploads the photos to the computer and prints them, so I have all the pictures at home on a password protected computer. As soon as they are printed I archive them and then delete them once the children have left the setting. But no, I would say no photos on phones unless you really, really trust the staff and can find a way around letting a new staff member do the same.

We put the photos on a disk for the parents when their child leaves. This is with the permission of all the other parents whose children are on some of the pictures too

I have to say I am attracted to the idea of a setting mobile that you can use to text images to hard to reach parents, although this could set up completely unrealistic expectations if used in a school and become a full time job for someone given the ratios!

Cx

I have to say I am attracted to the idea of a setting mobile that you can use to text images to hard to reach parents, although this could set up completely unrealistic expectations if used in a school and become a full time job for someone given the ratios!

I agree catma - it is very useful to send a quick text to parents to say their child is absolutely fine and a picture of a grinning child does the job much more effectively. However as you say, it is much easier to do in a setting where the ratios are better and (certainly in our setting) the numbers of children are much lower!

Maz

At our setting no members of staff are allowed to have a mobile on them whilst working and since being told by our local authority moderators that mobiles are not to be used for pictures, we have a policy in place.

Staff using mobiles for photo's are taking them off the premises and into their own homes, thus no data protection in place. The only way we can guarantee that data protection is adhered to is to ensure all photos are kept on the nursery premises, so setting camera's are used only.

Any student who needs to take photo's off premises to college/universities, can only do so with the consent of parent's and parent's must be informed for the purpose of doing so.

Edited by anita.kennedy

I put a ban on mobile phones after getting sick of staff members sitting there texting their friends when they should have been interacting with the children! We have digital cameras which are quite enough. we also have parent's emails if we wanted to send any photos after settling etc (although even then they're happy with a phone call only).

personally i think it looks unprofessional even if it is a nursery/school mobile, only because i dont think it looks good to both parents and visitors. but i suppose if parents were informed that it was a nursery 'resourse' for use in the nursery i dont think it would be so much of a problem. Just my view :o

Als55

I think the mobile phone policy (and its use) would be individual to each setting and I agree a policy should be in place. The policy would need to also reflect the Data protection, child protection, confidentiality, record keeping, and in Maz's case 'resource maintainence - as in keeping resource batteries charged and ready for use policy'. :o

I personally had a 'no mobile' during working hours policy in my setting, I did however, like Maz, on one occasion ask a member of staff to take a photo on her mobile whilst we were out on a walk (I'd forgotton the preschool camera) but made a mental note of ensuring the camera was available and functioning at all times because I did feel I was being contradictory to my policy of no mobiles. I also decided after this event that should the same scenario arise that I would 'go without' a picture rather than contravene the policy, otherwise what is the point if policies are not followed, what message was I giving as a manager? It's not ok to have mobiles at work, but then it is, only if Peggy needs it. :(

Reading through the responses I think it would be too much 'extra' work / hassle monitoring mobiles if used for photo's. Is it worth the extra work / vigilance and 'risk' just for one or two photo opportunities missed?

Although in theory the photo of 'smiling child' sent to parent sounds fine, is it really necessary? Do we not aim to build trust between staff and parents that we as professionals can settle their child without having to feel we need to 'evidence' it with a photo? What next a text photo to show the child has eaten all their lunch? Please don't take me wrong but sometimes 'good intentions' (to reassure parent) end up making a 'rod for your own back' for future expectations.

just my thoughts. xD

Peggy

Thanks for all your comments.

I've decided at the moment that (even though i trust my staff) a mobile can only be use if the member of staff needs to take a photo of their keyworker child for their learning journey books and they have permission from the parents first. We have work cameras and we already have permission from parents for the use of those ones.

Personally i think it would look unprofessional if staff were taking pics on their mobile. Also there is the issue of if staff forget to delete them from their phone before leaving the setting

We have to have mobiles - we have no main line phone in the Chapel. Staff need their mobiles in case the schools their children attend need to contact them. As already stated, these live on the main desk - not in pockets.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)