Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sick Pay

Hi

A member of staff has just informed me they are to have an op. and will be away from 3-6 weeks. Does anyone know how sick pay works. Will I have to pay her normal wage and also a supply wage as well? Has anyone had expereiance of this recently. We are only a pre-school on a tight budget so I am panicking!

Sally

You may be eligible for help from the taxman, we were for statutory maternity pay last year. If you are paying tax and NI from your staff salaries which are less than the amount of salary per month for this person (does that make sense) you should get some statutory sick pay - a nice cheque to enable you to pay this person, and someone to cover their hours. Check with your friendly local tax office

statutory sick pay

link above is for the information on the inland revenue site... there are lots of regulations ... as an employer you dont have topay her full wage, and she is only eligible for sick pay if she is earning enough in a week.

If you go to the site it has lots of help as to if she is eligible, how much you can claim back, and lots of other info.. even a calculator to find out how much to pay each week etc...

we area small preschool and only pay the amount stipulated as a minimum by inland revenue, and most of it is claimed back

Inge

Hi

We are a small pre-school and staff don't get any sick pay, there is no money in the budget for this. I pay national insurance and was sick for one day, but statuory sick pay only kicks in after 3 / 4 days. So I didn't get anything.

It's dosen't seem fair when others get 6 months sick pay.

Yes, we do budget for the occasional sick day - but when the money is tight we have been known to ask staff to swap sessions to cover for each other for the odd day - but I'd rather not. Having a core of part time staff means that odd sessions can be picked up by other staff

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, the website looks good Inge.

To date we have only had staff off sick for short periods and, like most of you, we don`t pay staff for this. I am flexable and understanding when staff need time off due to childcare and family issues and in return staff don`t expect pay and this means I can afford to pay someone else to cover for them. This is the first time somone has told me they are going to need several weeks off for medical reasons. Like most pre-schools on a tight budget I want to "do the right thing" but money is tight which makes this hard.

Sally

Have a chat with a taxman - I found them to be really helpful with the statutory maternity pay. You needn't worry about the money being tight - they'll provide the money for you to pay basic wage for this person. Do it quickly to make sure you get the money as soon as you can.