Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mother's Day Assembly

My class have the honour of doing the Mother's Day Assembly which all parents/carers are invited to attend. Obviously I want to include all the children but am a bit worried some of my littlies may suffer from "stage fright". Any one got any good ideas?

I've moved this into Celebrations and if you click on the word Celebrations above, it will take you to another thread on Mother's Day.

In the past I have done things like displaying paintings of their Mums in the hall before we start for them to look at. You could sing "This is the way Mum ..." to the tune of 'Here we go round the Mulberry Bush' using the children's suggestions about the jobs mums do for them. Some children could show their cards or paintings and say why they love their Mums. There is a simple rhyme:

We love to squeeze bananas

We love to squeeze ripe plums,

And when we are feeling sad

We love to squeeze our Mums.

In addition a couple of favourite assembly songs and a prayer about Mums would probably be enough. There is a song 'Mums mums mums' but I can't remember where it is from. Someone else here might.

One of the Assembly sites has an assembly which is more suitable for infants, but it does provide some background information about Mothering Sunday and its origins. Perhaps we should return to calling it Mothering Sunday as there are sometimes children whose Mum does not do the 'mothering',

http://cowo.culham.ac.uk/assemblies/001p_mothersday.php

I agree with you JacquieL, I have always preferred 'Mothering Sunday' and write that on the children's cards. One child once referred to it a 'smothering Sunday', but hey, at least he remembered! :o

Not sure I'm brave enough to teach ours this JacquieL. Think the staff might start to titter uncontrollably! :(:oxD

We love to squeeze bananas

We love to squeeze ripe plums,

And when we are feeling sad

We love to squeeze our Mums.

I've been trying to remember a song from ages ago.....

sort of goes like this (I think)

Thank you God for the people we love

Thank you that they love us too.

Mummies and Daddies

Grannies and Grandads

Brothers and sisters too………….

Anyone else know it and can help me tidy it up a bit cos I'm fairly sure I've missed some!

[Kate

There is a song sung to the tune of Frere Jacque

We love mummies, we love mummies

Yes we do, Yes we do,

Mummies are for hugging

Mummies are for kissing

We love you

YES WE DO.

Another one to tune of Twinkle Twinkle little star

Sometimes Mum says don't do this

Sometimes Mum says don't do that,

But she loves me this I know

Why, because she tells me so,

Sometimes mums says don't do this

Sometimes mum says kiss, kiss, kiss, (blow kisses)

Can't claim fame to this but have jsut written my mothering sunday collective worship. I googled Mothering Sunday and found a few sites with suitable songs on.

Good luck with collective worship.

Thanks for all your ideas. After a brief history of mothering Sunday I thought I'd read a story. Found a great book called "No matter what" about a small and a large fox. The small fox asks lots of questions about love. The book ends with Small asking,

"'But what about when we're dead and gone,

would you love me then, does love go on?'

Large held Small snug as they looked out at the night,

At the moon in the dark and the stars shining bright.

'Small, look at the stars - how they shine and glow,

but some of those stars died a long time ago.

Still they shine in the evening skies

Love, like starlight, never dies.'"

Think that might have the arr factor you've talked about and thought I'd finish with the children showing a painting of their Mums and saying why they loved them and then giving their mums a small bunch of daffodils. Does that sound OK?

That sounds like a 'not a dry eye in the room' scenario to me - plenty of AHHHHHHH! factor!

Can I advise that you read this out loud several times with an audience, so that it doesn't catch you unawares! (i've been caught out like that!)

We have this book, and it's fantastic

Forgot to say I'm going to include 1/2 of the songs you've all suggested to as well as "Love is something if you give it away" which the children just love singing!

We also have the book and I stuggle to hold it together when reading it to the children, so meant in the nicest possible way ajdavies, I'm glad I won't be in your assembly :o

jackie.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)