Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can You Fast Track An Nvq 3 Qualification?

Hi all

Have got a 6th form teacher coming to look round our setting tomorrow to perhaps take on deputy job (had originally applied for bank staff). Chair says that she will be able to do it as she will be able to fast track on an NVQ 3 childcare in 3 months (thats if she wants too). Anyone heard of this?

Thanks for any info!

Hi all

Have got a 6th form teacher coming to look round our setting tomorrow to perhaps take on deputy job (had originally applied for bank staff). Chair says that she will be able to do it as she will be able to fast track on an NVQ 3 childcare in 3 months (thats if she wants too). Anyone heard of this?

Thanks for any info!

I thought you could do your NVQ in however long you wanted to?

I don't think I'd personally want to do mine in 3 months though.. I've been doing mine for 6 months now and it's a lot of work!

But that all depends on what she's like though, and whether she has many other commitments etc etc.

My assessor was telling me about someone who did all the written knowledge during the summer holidays before she'd officially started her NVQ and then was done within a month.

I thought you could do your NVQ in however long you wanted to?

I don't think I'd personally want to do mine in 3 months though.. I've been doing mine for 6 months now and it's a lot of work!

But that all depends on what she's like though, and whether she has many other commitments etc etc.

My assessor was telling me about someone who did all the written knowledge during the summer holidays before she'd officially started her NVQ and then was done within a month.

Wow! That is quick! I thought it woud depend on your tutor? ie dont they have to come out and see you in your setting etc?

I would have thought that three months would be pushing it-especially if she has no experience of early years. I had two staff undertake their NVQ3 and they both took about 18 months, and they had worked for me for some time. They didn't rush it admittedly and it would also depend on how often the assessor can get out and how good they are. Some assessors can evidence quite a lot from one visit whereas another may not.

I know it can be done quite quickly but I've never heard of such a short time and I would think she would have to spend a lot of time working on it to do so.

Linda

Wow! That is quick! I thought it woud depend on your tutor? ie dont they have to come out and see you in your setting etc?

Yes you're probably right in thinking that.. I see my assessor about every 2 weeks ish but I know some people see their assessor every week!

Your best bet would probably be speaking to the college she'll be doing it at!

Personally I think she's pushing it - due to her inexpereince in early years However if go to a training agency (as apposed to a college) they would possibly be more than happy to take her on!!!

Due to her previous postion she 'could' be able to take on workload if she set her mind to it - but it the expereince side that would worry me if she is taking on the deputy role......

Now............ if it were me ---

I'd be pushing for YOU to do your NVQ in three months- and YOU take on the deputy role!!!!!!!!!!!

(you could have that and you DPP!!!!!!)

xxxxx

Personally I think she's pushing it - due to her inexpereince in early years However if go to a training agency (as apposed to a college) they would possibly be more than happy to take her on!!!

Due to her previous postion she 'could' be able to take on workload if she set her mind to it - but it the expereince side that would worry me if she is taking on the deputy role......

Now............ if it were me ---

I'd be pushing for YOU to do your NVQ in three months- and YOU take on the deputy role!!!!!!!!!!!

(you could have that and you DPP!!!!!!)

xxxxx

What are you like!!! :oxD:( :( In fact I was told initally that the fastest I could do NVQ3 was 1 year (from local college...the tutor comes out now to see my job share who is doing NVQ2 and since being on the course Sept 08 ...my job share has only seen her once). I decided I liked the idea of the DPP to give me lots of background info given that I had very litte childcare experience.

I should be getting on with my DPP now instead of being on here...darn that planning assignment..must get it done soon!

Edited by marley

I agree with louby loo! Why are they not fast tracking you?! I know the powers that be don't count working towards but have they got it in writing that the teacher will be classed as qualified given her experience?

I think using training agencies you can do a level 3 in less than 18 months/2 years and I actually spoke to one about a similar person doing a level 2 very quickly recently. This agency would have been happy for the level 2 to be completed in something like 4-6 months but I'm not as sure about the level 3 especially, as everyone has said, given her lack of experience in the area. I only enquired about level 2 as we really need someone level 2 qualified and I intended to move her onto a level 3 at a later date.

I did mine in 6 months.. experienced worker with this age and it was hard work...I was running the group at the time so had all the experience to just fill in the paperwork quickly and my assessor came in for 2 sessions and covered everything in those , she was a very experienced assessor who worked on the file as a whole so covering loads in one go.

For someone with no early years experience it would be a huge task to complete in 3 month..even with her own children as experience, it is so very different to caring for children who are not your own.

I would also ask if this is possible.. why did they not offer it to you? You have a degree. and experience already... and obviously commitment to the setting....

Inge

Hi there!

I started my NVQ level 3 at the end of Sept and will be finished at the end of May.

Like all of my classmates, I am a mature student and have a family commitments and a part-time job. Throw in my placement and a day at colledge and some assessments and time seems to go by too fast some weeks. Most of us on this course are having problems finding the time to complete the written work and feel like we are chasing our tails from one week to the next, although it would help me if I spent less time on here :o

Just thought I would throw in my tuppence worth. Might be worth mentioning the amount of written work involved to this person and also the fact that the answers arent always written down for you in black and white.

Well update i have heard today......she is very miserable ....not my words...supervisor didnt like her...chair was encouraging her to be our bank staff...why i dont know as we need qualified bank staff to cover qualified supervisor/deputy otherwise myself and my job share do it! Chair suggested she could do foundation degree then EYPS...eeerrr need qualified staff now not 4 years down the line???!! Chair getting a bit carried away I feel (Supervisor hasnt got EYPS so how did this make her feel!) All a bit pathetic if you ask me...had a young girl NVQ3 apply (very enthusiastic!) so perhaps potential there. Job being advertised now.

Chair suggested she could do foundation degree then EYPS...eeerrr need qualified staff now not 4 years down the line???!!

I thought you said she was a teacher - which should mean she has a degree. So she wouldn't need to do four years to EYPS - but even if she did the long pathway to enable her to get the experience she needs across the age range that wouldn't help your group get the coverage of qualified staff would it?

Something tells me your Chair is beginning to panic! Let's hope the youngster is just what your group needs - enthusiasm goes a long way doesn't it?

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)