Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Little Things That Bug The Heck Out Of You-

Evening Everyone, hope you're all well and have had a lovely weekend. xD

I was just wondering how you all deal with the little things at work that really bug you? And I'm talking about things that would make you look really pathetic if you challenged someone about it or ask someone about it..... For example today I was setting up in our main hall and I put all the mats on the floor roughly in the places, but folded up still. We have 4 mats, 2 of each design so I put 2 of the same design together on one side of the room, and the other two together on the other side of the room for our 2 floor play activities to go on. When I came back in, another member of staff had swapped them around so that there was one of each design on each side of the room. When I asked her why she'd done this, purely because I thought she might have felt it would be more benificial to the children or something not because I wanted to challenge her actions (Specially as she is the deputy supervisor!!!) and she asked me why I was bothering to ask her questions about where mats should go!!!!!

Also other things like, when you set up an acitivity or an area of the setting, e.g. role play, or mark making area, and somebody comes along and totally changes it?

I feel like I can't ask why they've done this because it would seem pathetic that I'm getting annoyed by this!!! Does anybody else feel like this sometimes?

Although I do see that it's probably a bit silly to get annoyed about things like this? But then because I know it's silly to get annoyed, I get even more annoyed at myself for being annoyed!!! :(:o

Ohh I know what you mean! But then as soon as I go through these thoughts in my head of how I'm getting annoyed over silly things, and then getting annoyed about getting annoyed.. it makes me laugh because of how silly it is and how silly I'm being!!

It can be so frustrating though when it's just little things that are getting you down.

Chin up chuck!x

Its not unusual to get annoyed or irked by these little things... it is often that you have one idea and another has something different.

in the case of changing of carpets i would have asked why as well and as to why I was asking perhaps comment because I had spend time placing them and could not see a reason for changing them. Such a little thing but often found others had different perspective .

I would let a lot go.... unless it was really important and understand that they had own ideas and respect that ...a case of learning to not let it bother me unless I felt really strongly about something.. then all staff knew and must admit seldom challenged me on it! If they did I could always explain why or justify my choices...

Inge

When I asked her why she'd done this, purely because I thought she might have felt it would be more benificial to the children or something not because I wanted to challenge her actions (Specially as she is the deputy supervisor!!!) and she asked me why I was bothering to ask her questions about where mats should go!!!!!

Do you work with me Bluebelle? xD

I would probably have asked her why she was bothering to move mats in the first place, if it wasn't worth asking her why she moved them... :o

These small things are often the straw that breaks the camel's back - especially when we are all so stressed with everything we have to do! Your post did remind me of the day when I nearly blew a gasket as I watched a practitioner change every single chair I put out around the tables for snack. After she'd moved six of the chairs to different positions I asked if she would like to take over the job from me since I was obviously not doing it right. She had no idea why I was so cross and so I had to calm myself down to explain that it was a complete waste of my time and effort in setting up snack for the children if she was just going to follow me around and change everything I did.

Lesson one of the day: don't irritate the boss when she's already stressed to the eyeballs! :(

Maz

Do you work with me Bluebelle? :(

No! But I wouldn't mind if you'ore offering :rolleyes: Your setting sounds lovely!

I could replace certain someone's with no NVQ... :wacko: xD:o

Lesson one of the day: don't irritate the boss when she's already stressed to the eyeballs! :(

You mean your staff learnt no lessons before snack time?! :(

I can guarantee I've learnt atleast 2 lessons by the time I've got my coat off and hung up.. xD

I can guarantee I've learnt atleast 2 lessons by the time I've got my coat off and hung up.. :o

Well you're top of my list for when I'm recruiting then BlueBelle! xD

Maz

Don't get me started!! Why is it that adults use the toilets and don't put on a new loo roll, knowing (well surely they must) that the children can't reach the spares ones very easily.

And yes it irritates the hell out of me if someone changes what I have set up, I ask why it is being changed, did I not understand the planning I might ask. Us senior staff come in extra early to set up so that the regulars (!) can come in with the children and concentrate on them, supposedly, when they are not rearranging the furniture. Right I am goin to stop or I'll be here all night and I've assignments to write!

its so annoying when little things get under your skin and you know its petty to challenge or moan about it

but look on the bright side if those mats are the worst thing in your life to be worrying over count your blessings

hope you have a better day tomorrow and when I start moaning about anything petty my hubby normally makes some snide remark about time of the month which then starts and even bigger petty row!

It maybe an age thing but I'm more likely to say something about the little things and ignore the big issues. The rational being I'm more likely to change the little things and the big things I can shout all I want but nothing will ever change. :o than again I could be just turning into my mother!!!

Hi bluebell, How unprofessional to change what you've done especailly with no explanation. I'd ask questions, in fact I do ask questions, especially if things bug me. I always phrase questions so that it doesnt appear to be confrontational. I'd say something like 'Oh you've changed what I'd prepared, that's interesting, I'd planned to do........I wonder if I can still do it?' Or I'd mention that Tom was really interested in this yesterday, I wonder if he'll still like it this way?'

Or, you could ask them outright 'Did I do something wrong, only you've changed my activity and thought I'd set up right.'

Some people need to appear to in charge of everything. Hang in there, come on here and have a rant and go in tomorrow with a smile. :o

when I start moaning about anything petty my hubby normally makes some snide remark about time of the month which then starts and even bigger petty row!

I got in a bit of a tiz the other day at work and then got headbutted by a child.. and I ended up having a panic attack and got very upset and was crying. One of the little girls came over and sat on my lap, wiped away my tears with her tissue and said "Don't worry. I know all about your time of the month. Do you want to talk about your problems? I help my mum ALL the time!" :wacko: The things children come out with! xD

than again I could be just turning into my mother!!!

Join the club, biccy!!!

go in tomorrow with a smile. :(

A smile? What's one of those??? :o:(:(

Firstly.. I'm not the only one without an NVQ..

Secondly.. Just because you've got yours doesn't mean you can be a meanie!! xD

its so annoying when little things get under your skin and you know its petty to challenge or moan about it

Especially when people now just which buttons to press! :o

I don't think it helps that I'm having a lot of problems outside work, and no matter how I try I can't help relating it to everything that happens at work. :(

I'm very laid back, and generally take things in my stride. xD

Ah well, here's to the end of term! :o

mine is when 3 members of staff look for something (I TELL THEM WHERE IT IS!) but 10 mins later still cant fnd it - i drop what im doing and find it straight away - then they laugh saying something like 'but i looked there how come you always find it'......

aghhhhhhhhhhhhh i just smile and nod :oxD

mine is when 3 members of staff look for something (I TELL THEM WHERE IT IS!) but 10 mins later still cant fnd it - i drop what im doing and find it straight away - then they laugh saying something like 'but i looked there how come you always find it'......

aghhhhhhhhhhhhh i just smile and nod :o:(

I won't come and work for you then... You'd hate me!! xD:(

How about when you've spent all b****y weekend (or so it seems) preparing things for an activity for a specific child, and someone else helps themself to them!

What sort of things are you talking about Cait?

things like a box of resources for a child, like tape or whatever - just to look at a child's learning, maybes some magazine pictures or leaflets for cutting out for a particular theme - just anything like that, and you go to get it from the side and you find that other staff have 'half-inched' stuff out of it - 'oh, did you want that?'

How about when you get out something, like a wooden hospital and accessories, and then someone else puts it all away even though you've set it all up and it's on the plan... because they wanted the fire station out!

I'll tell you what really bugged me though, a few weeks ago I planned an activity for two of my key children because they were really interested in foods and what was good for you and what wasn't et etc, obviously a lot of talk about food going on a home. So I planned this activity, and then another member of staff sent a load of children over (I had only got enough resources for the two children I had planned for; which I admit was a bit short sighted of me, and a bit anti-inclusion but y'know...) and these 4 children purposely ruined my activity saying "**** Told us to come over here and be naughty instead of near her" :oxD Resulting in a very very angry me!

'oh, did you want that?'

Noo! That was for you... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

(That is often my reply when people ask "Oh, did you want/need that?")

:o

:o oNE THING THAT REALLY ANNOYS ME IS ONE PARTICULAR MEMBER OF STAFF ALWAYS SAYING WHEN SHE IS LOOKING FOR THINGS "dOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE............IS" AND SHE HASN'T EVEN GOT HER BLOODY BACKSIDE OFF OF THE CHAIR AND CAN'T BE BOTHERED AND EXPECTING SOMEONE ELSE TO GET IT FOR HER.

oH AND ALSO THE SAME MEMBER OF STAFF SAYING "CAN ANYONE SMELL A DIRTY NAPPY"" SO WE ALL LIKE IDIOTS GO ROUND SNIFFING (AS WE DO!!) AND END UP CHANGING THE SAID CHILD!!! AND SHES GOT OUT OF IT AGAIN.

owwww and another you buy all the 'bits' for mothers day and easter cards and a member of staff uses them all on free craft :o

Yeh or thinks they are helping tidying up and putting them somewhere never to be found again!!!! and the ones who let the children tip a whole £7.00 pot of glitter all over the table then sweep it up and put in bin!!!!! I coould go on . this is a bit like stress release.

Yup - that was what I was getting at! And spending all weekend cutting out flowers for the said card - only to find them outside on the fence because a member of staff thought they'd look pretty there. SIGH

I once had a member of staff who did pretty much all of those things. She once took the planning home over half term after a staff meeting where we all decided to do boxes, it even fitted in with a students task for her assessor with the book 'whatever next'. After half term it transpired she'd changed everything to Hospitals. I threw a wobbly, marched straight out of the building after I asked her why she'd changed everything without telling or even asking anyone, she'd said 'I didnt think it would matter'. Well yeah actually especially when you hadnt planned anything apart from the role play corner. :(:(

Oh, this feels good. :o

But, on a more serious note bluebell. I let small things get to me over the period of about a year and ended by handing in my resignation. If I'd dealt with things straight away instead of giving benefit of the doubt and allowing for small mistakes, I might have stayed (although I was probably ready to move on after 7 years). Dont let anything eat away at you. Either face it or laugh and brush it off. xD

Edited by Rea