Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chocolate Playdough

A few years ago I made chocolate playdough using a cooked method (microwave). Over the last year I have been using the non cook recipe found on here - add boiling water to flour, salt, cream of tartar, oil and colouring. Does anyone have a good recipe for non cooked choc playdough. I could do a bit of experimenting I suppose but would prefer to make just the one batch. Anyone help please ??

Sue J

1 1/4 cup of flour,

1/2 cup of cocoa powder,

1/2 cup of salt,

2 tbsps cream of tarter,

2 tbsps of cooking oil,

1 cup of boiling water,

mix dry ingredients then add oil and water and stir quickly,

that's the recipe I have and have used, but I use the nearest mug to hand and throw it all in together and stir; most if not all cooked playdough recipes can be made using boiling water.

Have fun,

Karrie

on the topic of disgusting playdough over HT my 10 year old son wanted black playdough! that is one colour i will not be using at school it was quite disgusting especially alongside the red that his friend wanted! - it kept them amused for hours- but making 4 batches of playdough in one morning is not something i would reccomend even when the children help mix ( the 7 year olds had blue and yellow) but it was a very cheap way to keep them amused for hours!!

Using 2 colours of play dough is a great way to show colour mixing. I love the marbled effect before they finally merge.

I usually just used twice the amount of flour to salt and water to mix... makes a dough which lasts for a week or so.

As for chocolate dough- I have just added a few drops of chocolate essence or a couple of spoonfuls or drinking chocolate.

Sorry no precise measurements- just chuck it in and mix.

We made some chocolate playdough the first term of the academic year, we had a lovely chocolate factory with chocolate boxes for the children to fill and little truffle cases etc they had a wonderful time and the dough lasted all week. The chocolate factory theme lasted 2.5 weeks it was really popular!! I also made a 'menu' of different shaped chocolate for ideas and 3D shape reinforcement. I thought I would attach it.

Can_you_make_some_of_these_chocolates.doc

What a wonderful idea....will be doing that in the next week or two I think!! Thanks for the download too Shiny!

I have just made some chocolate playdough and it is "resting" downstairs on the worktop. It smells wonderful !! At the moment it is still a bit warm and sticky - I only hope when it cools down it won't be sticky. I have used up all the flour so if it's not useable then we won't be having playdough tomorrow :o

Thanks

Sue J

Fingers crossed then. Could you grab some flour in the morning or text a colleague to bring some so you could have a quick knead in the morning? shame to waste it

Yes, Cait, I will pop into the little shop on my way to work to get some flour. The children can add the flour to the sticky pile of ........it will be great fun. That is if the children want to put their hands into a sticky pile of what looks like doggy doo at the moment !!! xD:o

Sue J

That's great - and did you manage to eat them after you'd photographed them?

Cait, I didn't photograph them, I googled them!! Rest assured had I have photographed them they would have teeth marks in them!!

• 1 month later...

After making the 'delicious' chocolate playdough that was kindly shared on here, my TA and I had fun experimenting with a range of nesquik milkshake flavours instead of the cocoa. The children loved guessing the smell. I think strawberry was the favourite, but when given a range of 'flavours' it really opened up the idea of making cakes, biscuits and chocolates much more appealling and real to the children, which then led to setting up shop and packaging etc. It was hard not to keep going over to the malleable area just for a quick 'play'!

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)