Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Smelly Sand

What does everyone do about keeping sand clean? Ours gets smelly very quickly, and there seems to be issues with spending a lot of money on sand. I've heard the children being told not to add water to the sand!! I want to challange this, but need to have a solution ready first. At my old place I think they used to mix diluted Milton into it. Does anyone else do this and how effective is it? Or is it a case of having to just keep buying the stuff, same as glue and paint? I think our sand is brought from Tesco, is there anywhere else where you can get it cheaper?

we found that we usually used so much it did not have time to get smelly, on the odd occasion it did we could not find a reasonable solution which did not actually make it worse.

We did discover that as we were covering wet sand, this did not help, and the lid was just a bit of board on top, not fitted and very loose...

We did try washing it with a milton solution but the time and efort involed really was not justified.

we bought ours from Homebase .. particularly when they had a 10% off weekend and the buy 3 get one free offers. Think argos are similar in price too (same company but without the offers)

Inge

Just don't get it from B&Q. Their play sand looks OK when it comes out of the bag because it is quite wet. However when it dries out you can see it is full of dirt and gives off the most horrible dust that gets stuck at the back of your throat.

We try to leave the lid off over night so it dries out slowly if it is indoors. Outside is more of a problem because of the weather but in the summer we do leave it uncovered at night or with the lid at an angle so the air can get in. Otherwise I don't really think there is an easy answer, unless someone knows better!

Our sand is always needing replenishing - they use it to represent good and everything - you do need to have it covered overnight because of un-wanted garden visitors - never known our sand to smell though - so not a lot of help

We usually get ours from tesco or toy r us when it's on special offer... we rarely seem to get smelly sand -unless something gets put in it such a playdough that's not spotted at end of session and 'grows over week-end'!!

We change it every half term regardless.. not sure if that the norm or not.

xxx

I don't think you'll get it cheaper than places like Tesco - I just loked upon it as another consumable and replaced as necessary.

We've dug so much into the flowerbed from frequent replenishings - especially over the winter when the darlings sneeze and snotter into it that we are seriously considering using compost instead - to improve the balance in the flowerbeds TEE HEE

We've dug so much into the flowerbed from frequent replenishings - especially over the winter when the darlings sneeze and snotter into it that we are seriously considering using compost instead - to improve the balance in the flowerbeds TEE HEE

Same here - our very small bit of graden is beginning to look like a beach!

See what you mean about the picture Cait, took me a minute but its fabulous!

As far as putting sand in the flower beds, we've found it just invites the cats to make more 'deposits' than normal - we put ours in the dustbin, much safer!

We usually get ours from tesco or toy r us when it's on special offer... we rarely seem to get smelly sand -unless something gets put in it such a playdough that's not spotted at end of session and 'grows over week-end'!!

We change it every half term regardless.. not sure if that the norm or not.

xxx

we change ours every half-term too, usually have to top up a couple of times in the space of 6 weeks. mrsW.

we buy our sand from hampshire county supplies and it is cheap - can you join an equivalent near you - if you are working within or have contacts with a local school then ask them who they get their supplies from - all the stuff in their catalogue is much cheaper than anywhere else we have tried

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)