Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Glasses?

I'm in second year of foundation degree which means assignments are getting longer and longer so am spending more time at my laptop researching and then typing and have started getting headaches after being on laptop- I am fortunate enough to never normally have headaches (unless alcohol is involved of course lol) ... I also work in a pharmacy part-time so had informal chat with pharmacist about glasses and have decided to book an eye test to check if need glasses (fingers crossed I don't though as lovely as they can look!)

Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else has had to start wearing glasses from similar situation?? Or from any other type of situation?

I love glasses and have always wanted to wear them but as an accessory only, the thought of acually needing them to help me is little scary

ExtraordinaryChicken, you are not alone!

When I was 15 (7 years ago) I had to get glasses due to this exact reason! Thanks to the joys of GCSE coursework I spent hours in front of the computer and as a result got many a headache (many leading to migraines). I got my eyes tested and while my eyesight wasn't necessarily *bad*, the optician did tell me I was straining them too much when reading/using the computer and needed glasses for extended periods of using the computer or close-up reading. It saved me many a day off school/college/university (as the years went on) as it pretty much stopped the majority of all headaches. Nowadays it's just a matter of remembering to put them on if I'm going to be reading or using the computer for an extended period of time. :o

At the time I did worry a little bit about having glasses, but they're no bother at all; both wearing them (if I remember) or style wise. xD

Rosey x

Got my first glasses at 13 when I went to upper school and as my surname began with W was at the back of the class!!! To much trying to read the blackboard (yes blackboard!) from a distance. First thing I put on and take off each day. I've just got varifocals and trying to get used to them :o

Snap Biccy.. but had varifocals for a long time now!

Husband has found just this, working on a PC a lot and while he does wear glasses normally now has to have an office pair which has a different focal length just for PC.

may just be you only need them for PC and close work, had several staff members who needed this.. problem eventually came when they needed them for reading the stories etc.....

I always suggest an eye test at regular intervals to all my staff, so many other illnesses can be picked up , Its not a lot of cost and often can be offered free if you look for the right deals, just check how long a test will take , if they say less than 20 mins go somewhere else.. should take about half hour for a full one.

Inge

Guest MaryEMac

Got mine when I was 11, just after going to High school. Have had bifocals for ages now. Only problem I have is when using computer, i have to put my head up when using the reading lens so I have a pair of reading glasses for the computer. I only have a problem when I forget to change them back and go into the kitchen and wonder why everything is blurred. :o There's some great designer frames out there now.

Mary

Have you tried changing the background colour for documents and web pages? I had major problems with my eyes a few years ago and had to move from wearing contacts (which I had worn continuously for 17 years) to glasses as they couldn't replicate the prescription in contacts. What also added to it was that I was working in an admin type role so spent all day practically staring at a screen. My opticians (not one of the high street branded ones) suggested changing the background colours I used on a PC - try a creamy/sand coloured one to start with - and experiment until you find the right colour for you- I ended up with a greeny turquoise one! Also try changing the brightness level on your screen as this will also help.

I am now back in contacts - hurrah! -but still need the brightness of the screen changed so it is not so sharp on my eyes. My sister has found herself in a similar situation as yourself. I would recommend once you get your prescription Glasses Direct - lots of glasses frames and lenses included for under £50 and very very stylish too!

ooh thank you for your replies, glad I'm not the only one possibly needing them for computers. Our Somerfields (presume nationwide) are printing vouchers on the back of their receipts for eye test at Specsavers for £10 which we have in town so will be heading into there tomorrow to book a test sometime soon.For now I have tried having breaks and 'eye exercises' and paracetamol but to no avail as yet- prob jus have to sleep it off overnight. Thank you for the recommendation for website, will love having a mooch if I need any :o

Always thought I would get my mum and nans eyes- mum is 42 and still doesnt wear glasses and my nan was around same age when got her first pair of specs- but hopefully, like you said Inge, if I do need any it will only be when I'm staring at computers/books for long periods of time just to take the strain off my eyes.

Thanks for the tip with background colour kittyknits, I will try that this evening as I have a study due in on Thursday so can't really escape the laptop at the moment xD

Silly question- I know I would have to pay for the frames and eye test but do you have to pay for the prescription like you would for NHS medical/dental script? I see hundreds a week of so am very familiar with these but not glasses!! lol

The prescription comes free with the test which you have to pay for and you can take it anywhere once you have got it. They usually put it on one of their leaflets etc and it has to be signed to be accepted by another opticians. I used kool'n'soothe gel patches when I had my headaches and my sis swears by them for migraines.

Good luck and happy glasses shopping - there are some fab designs out at the moment :-)

Thank you, you really can ask anything here! I feel less daunted now and if I do have to have glasses then thats fine as will help me, plus I might look good in them! lol, plus I can tell the children as none currently have glasses at the moment so might spark some interesting discussions!

Thanks again for all your advice

• 3 months later...

Can I suggest Glasses Direct .co.uk? Much cheaper glasses than other opticians. You have to get your eye test done elsewhere of course but you can upload a photo of you onto their website and 'try on' lots of different frames. You can try 5 pairs at home and they come in the post on a little stand. You type in your prescription numbers and they make up the frames your choose and post them to you within a week.

Take a look and see!

ppp

thanks for your wise words....went and had eyes tested and they were fine, felt bit of a plum to tell the truth! optician just advised having regular breaks, not staring for too long, etc etc

Will def use that website if I ever need glasses in future- thanks playplayplay

thanks for your wise words....went and had eyes tested and they were fine, felt bit of a plum to tell the truth! optician just advised having regular breaks, not staring for too long, etc etc

Will def use that website if I ever need glasses in future- thanks playplayplay

Don't feel a 'plum' - always a good idea to have regular eye checks anyway........and I need to practice what I preach!!! Will make an appointment later ....maybe :o

Sunnyday