Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making The Most Of A Huge Space

So... the classroom is still flooded - now asbestos tiles are being removed from the floor. All my furniture and resources are under tarpaulins in our outside classroom and we are spending the rest of the week back in the school hall. All a bit annoying (only annoying now - before half-term I was tired so it was depressing!) so I wondered if you had great ideas to inspire me and cheer me up!

If you suddenly found you had constant use of a huge open indoor space - how would you make the most of it? (It has wall bar type climbing apparatus and things and all the other PE equipment.) Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with exciting opportunities for learning in a (slightly) unusual environment!! :o

Have you got a parachute? We've had some great indoor play with ours during the very cold weather when children didn't want to go outside. We currently have use of a huge space whilst we wait to hear whether we have any space at all!

unfortunately for some of us this is the usual environment every morning.....

sorry not to be more constructive but after 21 years of arriving every morning to just this makes me wonder what it would have been like to have somewhere we could set up an leave out...

I am sure someone will be along with ideas ...

Inge

unfortunately for some of us this is the usual environment every morning.....

sorry not to be more constructive but after 21 years of arriving every morning to just this makes me wonder what it would have been like to have somewhere we could set up an leave out...

I am sure someone will be along with ideas ...

Inge

I'm very spoilt having a classroom at all, I know! But I'm at a bit of a loss as I'm not used to it - and I know this is every day for lots of people - that's why i need your help! How do you manage it?

creatively...

by setting up everything in a 'normal' classroom every day... boxes on wheels, tables, carpets everything you usually find is moved every day..... if it is not on wheels it makes it harder but it is what we do....

and not just the resources.. also the displays and anything else you can think of...

sheer hard work ....and team work....

the joy is that you regularly review your resources, and no two days are set up the same, variety, not getting stuck with the same routine, teaching the children to be flexible and that things change...thinking ouitsdide the box every day...

sorry still not much help.....

Inge

I would definitely make a pentagon tent (or a series!) since anything we make has to be dismantled each day to go in the cupboard... but other than that, I'd need a bit more noticed of that sort of question! :o

Maz

sorry still not much help.....

Inge

STOPPIT INGE!!!! 'not much help' honestly!!! You are a HUGE help - even when you only say 'sorry, I don't know' The fact that you reply is a real boost!

I would definitely make a pentagon tent (or a series!) since anything we make has to be dismantled each day to go in the cupboard... but other than that, I'd need a bit more noticed of that sort of question! :o

Maz

I can really recommend the pentagon den!

Have you got a parachute? We've had some great indoor play with ours during the very cold weather when children didn't want to go outside. We currently have use of a huge space whilst we wait to hear whether we have any space at all!

ours love the parachute too :o

Oooooh - the pentagon den!! I'd forgotten about that!

Inge, you are supremely helpful - and I wish I was as good as you at setting up a whole setting temporarily each day! I tried for the week before half term and found it so hard, without the wheels, and without sensible storage, and having to take everything to the other end of the building again each day... it definitely makes me appreciate what I (usually) have! I think the children and I found it tricky going from a smaller space with more partitions and separate areas to a big, more open space - the temptation was to just run round in enormous circles (and that was just me!) That's why i thought that instead of trying and failing to replicate my classroom in the school hall, I'd see how I could use the hall in a different way that made the most of the ways it is different from my classroom - I'm kind of thinking about doing things on a much larger scale... What do you think?

I wonder if we all get used to the kinds of settings we have and the provision we offer and find it hard to adapt our practice all of a sudden? Maybe it's just me! :o If someone who usually cleared away each day and got everything out afresh and different the next day was suddenly put into a situation where it was more permanently set up, would they be bored and miss the variety?

Large cardboard boxes, big sheets and blankets, hoops and beanbags, large floor puzzles. I would definitely go for the parachute games too, as this is always popular. Plenty of free dancing - if you can get mats out the children can demonstrate their break dancing too. :o

We moved premises 5 years ago. All the other groups had vacated the hall except for us so after 23 years we could leave all our equipment out. It seemed good at the time but when I look back on ot now it wasn't so good. We have the same things out for a week. To me setting up each day is the start of a new day. I makes me think more about what activities.

Ok large space

we used cardboard boxes, and role play stuff to encourage the use in a productive way..... (we went to a local storage / removal firm and asked for the boxes they usually throw away after removals....they gave me loads of new ones in different sizes!)

Started out as a journey, on a bus, made cars which were painted and added wheels to, extended to changing them into boats (yes with wheels!) and this moved on as the children came up with the ideas....

Also we use a lot of construction on the floor in large amounts which they use together... may not be possible if you dont have the large quantities we tend to have.....idea being they use lots of different ones together, and often come up with the most marvellous creations....

These do tend to need an adult input of some sort even if just supervising and asking the how?, why?, what about if we?

obstacle courses were always good, try a story around it, like we cannot get off and fall into the water because of the xxx in it how will we get from a to b without touching the floor...

we have a store of remote controlled toys which need a large space to use.... or ask children if they have any they could bring in or like to show others how to use...

music.... always a good one... either organised to begin with and then just to play and let them organise it. use scarves, ribbons , instruments bells or other resources to extend.

parachute... if they are used to it just leave it on the floor and watch..... our children can organise this themselves and I have some lovely video of them turn taking, making up games, generally cooperating together without any adult input....our tended to use a sheet if they could not find the parachute!

stuff to make tents, sheets pegs, chairs, clothes horse (are they still called that? showing my age here a bit!) mats to sit on,

Markmaking/painting on LARGE Scale... large sheets of paper on the floor and all add to it....

If paint use things like paint rollers, large paint brushed, cars, wellies, shoes, feet, hands, just need lots of warm water in bowls and towels to wash up afterwards!

Any good ?

Inge

Ok large space

Any good ?

Inge

WOW!!! I had to delete most of your post in the reply bit as it was so full of great ideas! I'm now actually quite looking forward to the rest of the week, and if the classroom still isn't dry enough for them to put the flooring down at the weekend, next week won't be a disaster either! Thank you Inge and everyone else!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)