Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Speaker Ideas

kb124

I am looking to book a speaker that is related to the EYFS in any way that will appeal to teachers and practitoners working with the EYFS.

Can anyone recommend any good speakers who would be willing to come to Kent. I want something exciting, hands on, motivating......!!!!

Helen Bromley. I haven't got any contact details for her but she seems to do a lot of working and speaking in London so not too far. She's also a regular contributor to Nursery World and EYE so you might be able to contact her through those channels.

Edited by Wolfie

I'll let you know after I've been to hear Gervaise Phinn speak to the Early Years people here next Thursday night.

I think Gervaise Phinn is fantastic - i've got his series of books and they are hilarious!

Sally Thomas is fab, heard Jennie Lindon last week I'd recommend her, also Ann Nelson and Dorothy Selleck!

Dorothy Selleck is fantastic too - really passionate about the key person system and how it works. I also saw Penny Tassoni speak at one of the education shows a couple of years ago about language development.

Maz

Peter Dixon who writes for every issue of EYE magazine- he does the very amusing anecdotes on the last page of the mag- was absolutely brilliant when he spoke to us at uni EY conference last June, VERY inspiring and really makes you think about what children really think/ see

Alice Sharp of Experiential Play-Scottish lady. I have seen her twice at the Early years and Primary exhibition in Manchester and she is so inspirational. You can find the website here.

Linda

I can't really comment as I haven't heard very many, but Gervaise Phinn is great - interesting and funny! He is also a lovely man - he sat chatting to me for over an hour when I went to Loughborough to see him.

My son works in the theatre and gave me a lift, which meant I was very early. He makes a habit of wandering around before shows apparently, saw me and sat down :o

Sue

I can't really comment as I haven't heard very many, but Gervaise Phinn is great - interesting and funny!

What sort of talks does he give? Are they designed to make you think and reflect on your practice or are they anecdotal, like the books...or a mixture of both?

Yes, Sue is right, she has a good memory! My very first inset as a teacher (September 2002) was with Gervase Phinn and it was about writing and encouraging children to do so. I worked at an infant school then so it was all early years/ KS1 based.

He was fantastic and I've since seen him live on stage too doing his show which is great. He's a really lovely man and he personally autographed one of my books that I brought with me to the inservice!