Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Disiplinary Tomorrow

hi every one, bit of a tricky one here!!

ive had a complaint about a staff member from a parent who happens to be a staff member also!

apparently when taking children to a visit yesterday she swore in the car then questioned child about personal issues other staff told her she didnt want to discuss ,the child got upset and mum was livid, then she ivoked the whistlblowing policy and said the staff in question has roughly handled a baby the same day-others have substanciated this. the staff member thinks she is being picked on as feels a grudge is held, she cried all day when given letter to attend a meeting, was going to go with final warning what do you think??

Have you got all the points from other people who've made comments in writing with dates and signatures? my feeling would be that if it isn't in writing then you're on a sticky wicket.

Are you member of NDNA? their legal advice team is excellent (and free)

Have you spoken to ACAS?

Nasty one this ... I'll think about it some more

You're right Jaycooks it is a tricky one!

Although I have managed staff before, it has never been in an early years setting so I feel I cannot really advise you on this one. Just wanted to wish you well and will follow with interest any advice you are given here.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Have you consulted your disciplinary policy? A disciplinary policy is a statutory requirement in any workplace and all your staff should have a copy. You must follow the procedures laid down in that to the letter, otherwise you are laying yourself open to legal action, whatever the rights and wrongs of the case are.

Hi,

Just to say be very careful that you follow the correct procedures as others have said and make sure you stick to the facts only tomorrow and don't get dragged off into other work related areas unless they are relevant.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

Nicky Sussex

it sounds like you are not ready for this meeting tomorrow and you have to follow your policies and procedures to the word or your group could be the ones in trouble, did she receive her letter 1 wk before the meeting to give you time to get all facts together, and for her to reply to the contents of your letter to her and allowing her to bring another staff member with her, has she been in trouble before?

there seems to be other issues going on here as well and you need to use only the facts of the car incident in this hearing and not what she said later about another staff member.

have you also investigated the other staff member as well and has she had a letter / meeting about the complaint said against her.

good luck and tread carefully

This document is worth reading if you are unsure, particularly from page 16 onwards.

http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=361&p=0

If the incident only happened yesterday I think you need to think very carefully about what you do tomorrow for, as tictocplay suggested, you may not yet be ready to take action.

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow and make sure you do not handle this alone. Have a senior manager/chair of committee or whoever is you line manager present.

thanks for all your help, had just posted thread then baby woke up and had to go!!! have followed the correct procedure and got statements, facts, dates etc, have consulted owner (it was him that that wanted to go for dismissal ( consulted acas_ within rights due to time employed etc) but after investigating the facts i have decided to fo for a final written warning which is in line with disiplinary procedure---- will be at 12 oclock so will get back to you all later to let you know it went !!! thanks J

Babies have no sense of occasion do they? :o I'm glad to hear all has been done as it should so, although it is difficult to have to deal with this, you know that you have done everything as you should. Best of luck for today and go and have a large glass of wine tonight!

Hope all goes well, you may have to continue to work with this person for a while yet, so it's best to tread carefully.

phew!!!! all over and done with and even if i say so my self went really well! owner sat in as awitness and said i handled it very professionally!!! a few tears from staff but accepted disiplinary action . all apears to be ok!! thanks for your support everyone. J

phew!!!! all over and done with and even if i say so my self went really well! owner sat in as awitness and said i handled it very professionally!!!

Well done: these situations are difficult for both parties I think. I hope your staff member reflects on what she's been through and comes out all the stronger for it. Also, I hope you have grown in confidence knowing that you have faced a tricky situation and handled it well. I hope you have a lovely evening.

Maz

Well done jaycooks, it sounds like you have dealt with the situation admirably. :o

As Maz says I hope the member of staff can reflect on this incident, learn from it and also realise that she has been dealt with with the utmost professionalism and draw from this excellent role model to develop her own behaviour towards a more positive manner.

I'm curious is there now a time scale to her 'final warning', or is it next offence (however far in the future) then out? Will there now be any kind of support for her to help her to reflect on how she has behaved, the rationalle behind the response to her behaviour, linked maybe to her requiring a fuller understanding of the settings policies, procedures and practice requirements?

Peggy

Well done jaycooks, it sounds like you have dealt with the situation admirably. :o

As Maz says I hope the member of staff can reflect on this incident, learn from it and also realise that she has been dealt with with the utmost professionalism and draw from this excellent role model to develop her own behaviour towards a more positive manner.

I'm curious is there now a time scale to her 'final warning', or is it next offence (however far in the future) then out? Will there now be any kind of support for her to help her to reflect on how she has behaved, the rationalle behind the response to her behaviour, linked maybe to her requiring a fuller understanding of the settings policies, procedures and practice requirements?

Peggy

thanks every one! having that glass of red now!! final warning will be next offence, however i dont think it will come to this,i actually mentioned the role of the reflective practitioner during meeting! i have arranded a supervision to discuss good practice and also a meeting with the baby room staff for hthem to discuss current issues (with me mediating) with is welcomed by all staff including the one inquestion, so hopefully the situation is resolved now! will keep you posted!!