Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Childminder Initial Vist

Hi

I'm Carla and I'm new to thi forum! Just wondered if anyone can help. Next week I am due to be visited by an OFSTED inspector in order to become a registered childminder. Was just wondering what to expect? What will he/she ask me? Will they want to see my policies and do I have to show examples of planning? I did the pre registration childmiding course three years ago and the new EYFS hadn't started then. How much detail do you think they will go into?

Thanks in advance

Carla :o

Hi Carla

I'm in pre-school so I can't answer your query - but I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum. Congratulations on making your first post and I'm sure lots of childminders will be along to share their experiences of their intial Ofsted visit!

Maz

Hi Carla

welcome to the forum

I had my intial inspection 6yrs ago so can't quite remember but it was quite brief and my practice has improved massively since then. Not even sure if I had written policies at that time and certainly didn't do any planning - aah those were the days :o

Will have children on roll as I know that makes a difference to the grade you are given.

hope someone with more upto date info will come along and advise

best wishes

When Ofsted come to do your initial assessment, 9 times out of ten, most people havent even had any initial training, i know i didnt. I had my visit the day of my first training night. The only thing that i had out in place was the safety aspect ie plug sockets, fire guard etc. She basically ensured that my house and the surroundings were safe and secure and that i understood what would be expected of me for the future. She advised me what courses i needed to be booked on and told me how many i would be registered for according to the size of my house.

She will also ask you which rooms you want to register and will look at them. If you dont, for example, have your bedroom registered, she will not look in it.

My inspector was really nice and came and did my 7 month one as well. As long as you are able to provide them with the knowledge that your are aware of risks and planning etc, they will not expect any thing else.

Dont forget to clean your fridge and microwave - they may look in it as they did with me! ( they found 1 crumb on the base and listed my fridge as not clean on my report!

I hope this helps... Dont forget, your support child minder will be able to help you as well

Hi

I'm Carla and I'm new to thi forum! Just wondered if anyone can help. Next week I am due to be visited by an OFSTED inspector in order to become a registered childminder. Was just wondering what to expect? What will he/she ask me? Will they want to see my policies and do I have to show examples of planning? I did the pre registration childmiding course three years ago and the new EYFS hadn't started then. How much detail do you think they will go into?

Thanks in advance

Carla :o

Hi Carla, let me know how you get on!

Hi Carla, welcome to the forum!

I have supported new childminders through the registration process before.

Your initial visit should include a home check, a chat about the requirements for your registration and if you already have policies in place they'll help greatly - shows you're organised and thinking ahead!

Don't be afraid to be honest - if you haven't got something or feel you need training on EYFS, First Aid or Food Hygiene, say so! All counts as reflective practice - assessing what you need and how you will get it.

If you can show that you've booked onto courses that will also count in your favour. Have a look at courses being offered by your local Children's Centre - they're often cheaper than LA courses and run during the day, with creche facilities if you need them.

Good Luck - let us know how you get on.

Nona

Thanks to all that have replied, really appreciate it.

I spoke to a lady today from ofstead, she said it takes about 3 months to register. She is coming on 3rd March, and sounded so lovely, really put me at ease.

So what happens when she has seen me, and why does someone else come for another visit. I was under the impression, that 1 person came to see you and asked u questions and checked the house, then if u are ok, you just get registered.

Hi Carla and welcome to the forum

I have been registered for 6 years now so things may have changed but I had an inital inspection when someone come out to inspect the house, made sure I had thought about safety aspect, plug sockets, stair gates etc like wyetots said and ask which room you want registered and tell tell you how many children you can be registred for. When all your paper work and police checks have gone through and you are registrered you will then get another inspection within the first 6-12 months and in this inpection your policies, planning, observations etc will also get looked at and you will get graded. Depending on this grade will depend on how long it will be untill your next inspection. I'm not sure what area you are from but alot af areas will give you a support childminder who is there for advice and to tell you through your first year of registration and remember you can always ask on here again someone is sure to know. I wish there was a site like this and support childminders when I started out!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)