Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Reading - Textbooks

Hi All

I am wanting to get hold of some reading on 'reading in the early years''. A book that looks at how children aquire reading skills and the stages of formal reading. Also strategies for teaching reading and profiles of the different types of readers. A uni textbook perhaps? I need my own 'reading bible' to refer to and dip into. internet links would be fine too. i have searched but have come up with not much xD

Welcome to the Forum, shasha

Congratulations on making your first post - I'm sure lots of teachers will be along to give some good advice and/or share books they have found useful. I'm in pre-school and consequently I always stay well clear of offering my opinion on these issues - would never presume to think I knew more than someone who teaches children to read or write in school!

That said, I shall have a quick look at my uni books and see if there's anything there that might prove useful! :o

Maz

Here's a book from my shelf which was co-written by our Uni professor who taught us child development last year:-

The Learning and Teaching of Reading and Writing by Naomi Flynn and Rhona Stainthorp - you can 'look inside' here at Amazon.

Not sure whether its what you're looking for though!

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Hi!

You could also try Words and Worlds by Henrietta Dombey

Classroom Interactions in Literacy by Eve Bearne, Henrietta Dombey, and Teresa Grainger

also I have on my shelf

Learning to Read Margaret Meek

Language for Life from the Bullock Reprot ( very old like me but still holds water today I think!)

an eclectic mix!

Hi and welcome

I would echo the recommendations above. Foundations of Literacy and L is for Sheep are both very readable books. I would definitely recommend Rhona Stainthorp's book above (she is currently my tutor at Uni too at the moment so should give her a plug) and she was involved in writing Letters and Sounds so is at the cutting edge of things. She has also helped develop the new e-modules on the CLLD site which is a good starting point for teaching reading. Look here: http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.g...601?uc=force_uj

The book I read that has been most influential was Why Children Can't Read by Diane McGuinness but can be quite heavy going in places (well confused me).

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)