Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Your Excellent Ideas!

Hi, everyone,

You know when you have just been thinking about something tooooooo much!?! Well I think this is what i have done and now i am stuck! In a few weeks I am being observed and i have most of my ideas already apart from one main bit....

I am doing Jack and the Beanstalk with an input which will lead to a CLL activity and a KUW activity alongside lots of enhanced provison. So... i have decided that the Giant will capture a Jack from our room (as he does) and it will be the children's KUW activity to resucue him BUT ( this is where i could do with your great ideas) what could the Giant do to Jack which will HOPEFULLY lead to the children being able to construct something or problem solve or investigate to save Jack? I have been racking my brain and come up with a few ideas but so far nothing that makes me say OOOOOOOHHHHH!

I love reading all the forums and ideas on here and just know you will be able to help. Thank you soooo much !!! :o

what could the Giant do to Jack which will HOPEFULLY lead to the children being able to construct something or problem solve or investigate to save Jack?

Tie him to the very top of the beanstalk? What sort of form will your 'Jack' take? :o Now I have visions of some poor child dangling by one leg from the ceiling... xD

Maz

Ha Ha, well knowing my class!!!!

I was thinking of creating a story sack with soft toys and so 'Jack' would be a soft toy, I prefere 3D appraoches but really am open to any ideas!

I like the problem solving course idea thank you!

how about a clue hunt as to jack's where abouts............hidden cards with directions (sense of place) that lead to next clue...

we did an easter hunt like it........ cut a large card egg into smaller pieces, each piece had a clue to next, when they'd found them all and put them back together it gave them the last clue to the treasure

sounds fun anyway.......sometimes think we should go back to themes

grow a bean in a shoe box...... put 3 layers of card with one small hole in diff places on each fit to inside of shoebox, make hole in top of box, but bean in pot in bottom, tape lid back on...the bean will grow in and out of holes upto top..easy experiment.......

Love it! :o

What about something as simple as Jack being stuck up on a high shelf (having been put there by the giant) - what ingenious ways can they think of to get him down ?

There is a lovely book of short stories by Alan Ahlberg called the clothes horse and other stories and in it is a story called THE JACK POT which is about a pot where a giant puts boys called Jack ...how do we get him/them out? high slippery sides etc

A few years ago we did this with the whole school for book week.

As a staff the first part of the story was acted out and the beans thrown under the PE equipment in the hall...

The next morning a giant beanstalk had appeared growing out of the hall floor up into the loft hatch... where we had a stero set up.

We then had a teacher dressed as Jack hiden with a mike and they told he told the children he had been kidnapped by the giant and needed rescuing. With that- I can't remember if Jacks mother had chopped down the beanstalk before the message as there were no beans on it or if the giant knocked it down. So the children then had the challenge of saving Jack and needed to build a structure that could reach up to the hatch- we had a day of different activities ariound the school which the children rotated around.

An enjoyable but hectic day.

L

WOW!!!!

What a lot of super idea's thank you sooooooo much. I love the high shelf idea and the tresure hunt and the extention books!!!! My problem now..... Which one to use! I think iw ill use an aspects of them all throughout the lesson. I can't thank you enough!!!!!!

Hi, everyone,

You know when you have just been thinking about something tooooooo much!?! Well I think this is what i have done and now i am stuck! In a few weeks I am being observed and i have most of my ideas already apart from one main bit....

I am doing Jack and the Beanstalk with an input which will lead to a CLL activity and a KUW activity alongside lots of enhanced provison. So... i have decided that the Giant will capture a Jack from our room (as he does) and it will be the children's KUW activity to resucue him BUT ( this is where i could do with your great ideas) what could the Giant do to Jack which will HOPEFULLY lead to the children being able to construct something or problem solve or investigate to save Jack? I have been racking my brain and come up with a few ideas but so far nothing that makes me say OOOOOOOHHHHH!

I love reading all the forums and ideas on here and just know you will be able to help. Thank you soooo much !!! :o

lots of great ideas - we used simple maps with simple clues (written and drawn) for children to look for objects. could use different things like the high shelf and a bucket ,tunnel, etc invite ideas on how to rescue and even make or find the resources to do this. happy planning

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)